1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvdshrink copy protection msg boxes

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by vortron, Sep 22, 2004.

1. vortron

vortron Member

hello,
    i had 2 dvds, one with the main movie and the other with the special features. i wanted to burn the movie and a clip from the spec features disc on to one backup disc (stuff from the 2 discs to one). i tried this: put one disc in my dvdrom and the other in my dvdrw. then reauthored in dvdshrink to rip files from both sources and "burn with nero" using the dvdrw (after encoding i replaced the original disc with the dvd+r). it seemed to work ok (the resulting disc plays), but when i closed the "backup created successfully" msg box, a warning msg box about the disc in the drive being copy protected and another error msg that i cant remember was there too.. does anyone know why it gave me these warning if it burned ok? maybe it didnt like my method?
    thanks,
    v

2. chrisw

chrisw Member

Sounds like, to me, while you reauthored the VOBs, you didn't strip out the CSS copy protection. What app did you use to rip the VOB files before reauthoring them in the first place?

3. vortron

vortron Member

yo chrisw, thanks for replying..

i used dvdshrink to rip..
    i simpy used my dvd-burner as one source and my dvd drive as the other. then i reauthored in dvdshrink from these drives and clicked "backup". it ripped from both sources and then prompted me to change the disc in my dvd burner (from the movie disc to the blank disc). after i put in the blank, it burns successfully, but then gives the errors i mentioned... maybe its no big deal b/c the disc plays. i was just curious :)

later

4. chrisw

chrisw Member

Hmm, curiouser and curiouser..

Is your DVD drive region-free, perchance?

Failing that, I can only think that DVDShrink didn't rip out the CSS encoding :shrug:

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi vortron, If your copy plays ok then I wouldn't worry about the error boxes. Here is what may have happened. Shrink once in a while will show the message that a dvd movie is encrypted and it can't continue. When this happens, all you have to do is play the dvd a few seconds with your player software, then stop it and reopen Shrink. It will then decrypt the dvd. Playing the movie a few seconds unlocks the drive so Shrink can use it. This may have happened just for a second and caused the box to pop up. Just a guess.

Jerry

6. chrisw

chrisw Member

Aaaaaaaah, now I understand the context in which he was describing his error messages... Yes, DeCSS drive authorisation would be one of the causes for that problem.

7. vortron

vortron Member

i'll bet thats it!! thanks for your help guys!
    ~v