1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDShrink DVD-R Won't Play in Set-Top Player

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by blaxx, Jul 10, 2003.

1. blaxx

blaxx Member

I just used DVDShrink 2.3 to shrink the Beatles Anthology DVD Episode 1+2 disk to one DVD-R size. The resulting DVD-R works fine in my Desktop PC and Laptop PC DVD-readers (using PowerDVD), but won't work in my set top player - it won't recognize the disk as a DVD at all.

It's not the media (Memorex DVD-R 4X) nor the burner (Sony DRU500 with 2.0f firmware) - I've used the same media and burner successfully with DVDXCopy, MyDVD, RecordNOW DX and many other utilities to successfully create DVD-R's that are read by both my PCs and my set top player (A JVC from 2000).

In fact, I've successfully used IFOedit and RecordNow DX to make a version of the disk, with the same media and burner, that works fine on my set top. I want to use DVDShrink because that's the only way I can make both episodes fit on one disk.

I can only deduce it's something in the way DVDShrink rewrites the VOB and/or IFO files that is causing my JVC set top to not recognize the disk and spit it out. The settings I used in DVDShrink are:

Keep original menus
    main menus shrunk level 4 - 20%
    titles shrunk level 3 - 15%
    Kept only English subtitles
    Kept only Dolby Digital 5.1 audio
    Burned with RecordNow DX (yes I created VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS directories)

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!

blaxx

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

firsty no! but this is wierd as all else works?

ok did you ever dvd shrink a dvd to work or is it the first go?

the proggy may be bugged? redownload it and load again!

Thx...

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Are you burning the disc properly in a VIDEO_TS folder?

4. Tosca

Tosca Guest

No, it is not DVD Shrink, although that is just my opinion. I have never had any probs with how DVD shrink handles its business in creating VOBS et al. If a disc did not play in a standalone then it was because the disc was messed up. But I never had an instance where Power DVD was able to play a disc and the standalone was able to play it. It was usually the other way around, where the standalone would play it perfectly and Power DVD would be unable to play it without some major glitches or just getting a black screen.

Must be your standalone.

Do you get a "dirty disc" C13 (I think) error?

It may not be playing because it is just cheap media.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2003
  5. blaxx

blaxx Member

Thanks for the responses - here are my responses to your comments/questions:

Rotary:
    >ok did you ever DVD Shrink a dvd to work or is it the first go?
    This is the first DVD I've tried to DVD Shrink. Might be a good idea to try another one, although I have been successful at using IFOEdit to make a non-compressed version of the Beatles DVD that plays fine in the standalone.

Oriphus:
    >Are you burning the disc properly in a VIDEO_TS folder?
    Yes, I'm doing that using RecordNow DX. I've done this successfully before with other editing programs, such as IFOedit, then buring the VIDEO_Ts folder with RecordNow DX.

Tosca:
    >Must be your standalone.
    >It may not be playing because it is just cheap media.
    I don't think so; as I said, I have made discs using the same media but different programs, that play fine in the standalone.