1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvdshrink error ?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by expresso, Oct 20, 2004.

1. expresso

expresso Regular member

hi - i keep getting a error with shrink which i never got before - when i try to anaylize the disk it worked and i ripped it to a harddrive folder - then when i go to anaylize that file i just ripped -
    it goes to the end and then gives me a invalid memory access - error -- or i get a programming error exception occured - i reinstalled it and its the same
    whats weird is i just ripped it and worked fine - then i go use the file on the harddrive and get the error - i tried it with clonedvd2 and get a error too - i used nero record2 and anaylized good - but then didnt burn good - got error - the movie is ID4 independance day - i am using a copy i made from the original i dont have anymore - but the copy works fine - i havnt a clue as to whats wrong
    any help ??
    thanks

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

If you are trying to copy a copy then there really isn't a need to rip the movie(it's not encrypted anymore). You should be able to use any burning program and make a disc image on your hard drive to burn.

3. expresso

expresso Regular member

hi- thanks - i though that also and its true - but i run into problems when i try to burn the copy i copied already sometimes - i used shrink and saved it on my harddrive - then i burned it with dvdclone2 - it worked -- but the movie i saved on my harddrive
    if i want to use shrink to burn it - it encodes it again and gets a error - i dont understand why -
    the errors i have been getting are these two mostly

invalid access to memory location --

and programming error - exception occured -

i have enough memory and my drive is defraged -

i managed to make a few copies to my harddrive and out of 3 copies - one burned good and has no errors so i used that copy to burn and it came out good
    i havnt a clue what had happened - maybe bad media - who knows - i been using prodisc 8x - dvd+r - for the most part - they have been pretty good - but if you know of anything better - let me know - i have a nec 2500a drive with 1.06 firmware -
    thanks

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Shrink isn't the best software to do a copy of a copy. Nero is much better for that. Try Nero Ultra 6, it's free each and every month for the full month til you decide to buy(which I highly recommend) You must reload it every month :>)

5. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Shrink can't burn. Shrink is a decrypter/encoder. You always need a separate burn program to burn the output from shrink. Shrink will recognize Nero, Decrypter,and Copy to DVD and utilize those burn programs to auto burn it's output. Since you are trying to copy a copy that's already been decrypted and encoded there's no need to do it again in shrink. It's basically a big waste of time. As big orange said Nero is probably your best bet.

6. expresso

expresso Regular member

hi thanks for all the help - for some strange reason -it seems to be working now - i did install acohol 120 which i dont like and i think that gave me problems
    i uninstalled it - but it left me with a virtual drive now - which i dont want and dont know how to get rid of that - but dvdshrink encodes the movie that it couldnt do before and works fine - i havnt a clue what was wrong - i do have nero 6 ultra edition and sometimes that dosnt work too good - i also use clonedvd 2 after i use dvdshrink - next time i will try decrypter first and shrink after - see how it comes out - but i have used dvdshrink to burn also ?
    and it works - it encodes the disc and output to my burner and works too - but lately i first put it on my harddrive just to keep it and make sure its good before burning - also if i like to make another copy
    its easier - thanks for the help - also i am tyring to figure out the best disks - i been using prodisc 8x dvd+ -- they work fine - maybe one or two had some problems - but i think the + are better and worked in most dvd players with no problems -
    any suggestions about other media would be great
    thanks

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]but i have used dvdshrink to burn also ?[/bold]

Do you mean you had shrink automatically pick the burner software? Shrink can't burn, only rip, edit/re-author, and compress ;>)

9. expresso

expresso Regular member

i keep hearing that from others when i say i use dvdshrink - but the funny thing is - i do use it
    i have two dvd drives - ones a burner - i put the movie on one drive and blank dvd in the burner
    i open the movie file and shrink checks it and i make any changes if i have to - then i click backup and pick my burner - thats it - it encodes and then burns to my disk - so it does both - i dont know what every one is talking about - that it dosnt burn - unless i am crazy and studid - i dont understand why everyone tells me that - i do have nero installed also -
    but i can use just dvdshrink to do both - ?
    i been saving it to my hard drive now - so i can make a few copies before and dont have to encode it any more after the first time - tell me if i am wrong or maybe i am missing something - but if you have two drives you can do both with dvd shrink - if there is a better way - let me know - i usually use dvdclone 2 to burn it to disk after i save it to the hard drive with shrink - sometimes i used nero - all depends or use shrink to burn it - maybe i have a special version :)

let me know
    thanks

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Shrink CAN'T burn. It can open other programs to burn for you automatically without you ever having to open them up. That is what's happening.

Go to edit > preferences > fileI/O and look to see if "enable burn with nero" is checked.

OR in your backup window in the drop down menu under target device tab, select backup target, look to see if "ISO image file and burn with decrypter" is checked or "hard disc folder and burn with Copy to DVD" is checked.

OR you can save it to the hard drive and choose "hard disc folder" and burn with another program.

Since you have nero installed that's my bet is what's happening.

I can PROMISE you Shrink CAN'T burn without help from another app that has a software burner..AND you don't have a "special" version, LOL....Trust me on this :>)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  11. zippyd

zippyd Active member

If I remember correctly, shrink's initial settings have the enable burn with nero option checked. So my first bet would be that since nero is on the system, shrink is using it.