1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvdshrink - Forgotten work around

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by swarfel, Jan 18, 2005.

1. swarfel

swarfel Member

I've been using DvdShrink 2.3 for over a year now - I can tell you that it works for all of the movies that everybody is having problems with.

1.) Load your movie
    2.) Click cancel on analyze if there is an error
    3.) REAUTHOR
    4.) Change the start of the movie to the 'Columbia' logo. Don't start at the beginning and scroll to it - start halfway and scroll back very carefully. Usually you want to start the movie about 30 seconds to 60 seconds into the beginning.

It's pretty simple if you used the program alot. I've backed up all the movies that way that have given me problems.

I tried the DVD Decrypter ---> DvdShrink method but I get an error and it's an extra step.

2. tater9104

tater9104 Guest

I have used the shrink forever, but I have never used the reauthor button. Will you tell me how this works. I tried it out, but a I got a screen that would let me look around, but it went essentiall nowhere. Can you give me a brief description on what to do? If you know of a guide to this, that will work too... Thanks

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

4. swarfel

swarfel Member

First look at the disc near the center - the silly protection can be see if you know what you are looking for. There will be bands that only go halfway around the disc and they are about 3/16th of an inch big. I think there will be two bands. That's how I know it's going to be a problem disc.

Once the disc is analyzed - error or not, I'll hit reauthor. Look for the big title on the right, the movie will usually be 4gb-6gb and it will usually be title 1. It's not always title 1 but it will probably be the biggest title. Move it from the right side of the screen to the left. At the top of the screen will be an option for 'Edit', then choose 'Start Frames End Frames'. Then when you are in that section at the top will be a thing for selecting where to start - it will be at chapter 1 by default, movie the slide to the middle and then back it up slowly to where you think the movie starts. If you go too far back then the copy protection kicks in and you have to start over. So move it back slowly. I'm sure there are much better directions out there than mine but I know this works and I use an old version of DvdShrink with nothing else except Nero.

5. lordlust

lordlust Member

Just a stupid newbie question here but wouldn't or shouldn't this same process work on newer versions of shrink or am I way off base?

LL

6. swarfel

swarfel Member

I've rented 100's of movies and I've always used DvdShrink 2.3 and Nero 6. If it works why mess with it :) In other words - I have alot invested in my movie collection and I don't want to discover that 10% of my movies have some sort of error. I'm sure the work around I described would work with the new version of DvdShrink.

7. nanu-nanu

nanu-nanu Member

Tried it...did not work, using the latest Shrink.

Problem is you can not resize with out an initial analyizing. But no reason to fret.

The latest version of Deccryptor gets past it.

Open Decryptor
    Select Mode
    Select ISO
    Select READ
    create the folder where you want it to save
    Write it to you HD
    when done close and

Open DVDShrink
    Select Open Files
    Select the ISO file Decryptor created
    Click OK
    Shrink treats this file as though it were a DVD, so you basically run Shrink like you would if you were using a DVD.

Did it this morning. Forgotten has alternative endings, so you get two files under Main Title with Shrink.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It works with the newest version of Shrink you are just not doing it as swarfel explained.

You don't even need to open the disk just click on reauthor and hit cancel on the analysing when you drag the files from the right to the left window.

It works I just did it :)

9. nanu-nanu

nanu-nanu Member

I tried what was said.

When I drag the title to the left, Shrink starts to analize, when I hit cancel, the whole program freezes up and windows shuts it down.

What is the verion number for the latest Shrink?

I use DVDShrink 3.2.0.15

10. swarfel

swarfel Member

I don't mean to sound rude - but you need to read the manual for reauthoring. All you need to do is move a title (generally title 1) to the left. Then you need to adjust where that title starts. The error on analyze is expected and it's no big deal.

11. nanu-nanu

nanu-nanu Member

I did that.

For some reason when I moved the title for the movie Forgotten, the analize automatically started. When I click cancel the whole program freezes and shuts down.

I have used Shrink many times. I use it and Decryptor. Have done many movies and coached many people on using both.

HOWEVER, when I do the same steps you put forth, using Xmen1 the analize does not start.

So if you have used your steps using the movie Forgotten, I would like to know how it worked out for you.

12. climbhigh

climbhigh Member

Everyone that tried swarfel's advice NEEDS to check their device manager at this time..

[​IMG]

Windows XP allows 5 "time outs" on the ATAPI drive before it kicks it out of DMA to slow PI0 mode!

If this has happened, don't panic. Just uninstall and reboot and it will reinstall the secondary IDE with DMA.

*If you have a virtual drive connected such as: Nero, Alcohol, etc., you might have to uninstall those drivers for your secondary IDE to reinstall properly.

Moral of story:

Don't try to analyze with shrink using discs with the new Arccos/Puppetlock protection, or you will run into the problem above.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  13. scalper66

scalper66 Member

how do i get there

14. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

For Windows XP ...... Go to ....
    1. Controle Panel
    2. System
    3. Click The Hardware Tab
    4. Click Device Manager
    5. Click on the "+" besides .... IDE/ATA ATPI controlers
    6. Select Your Controler from your options .....In My Case ..... Nividia nForce3 250 Paralell ATA controler(2.6)
    7. Right Click
    8. Select Properties
    9. Select Secondary
    [​IMG]

You want DMA or Ultra DMA as seen in the pic. For windows other than XP it is a similar path .....

Cheers .... Have fun

15. Cnote28

Cnote28 Member

I have been trying to burn the Forgotten it does everything but when it starts to encode it says my virtual memory is to small i have changed it but it still does not work HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Cnote28

Cnote28 Member

Sorry it says my virtual memory is to low.

17. Rattfink

Rattfink Member

nanu-nanu solved my problem completely, following advice of post for using DVDDecrypter3.5.2.0. (spelling counts, tho..) It recognizes protection scheme, and compensates. Woo-hoo! Thanks!

After making the ISO, it is a simple thing to open the image, and shrink away!!

To heck w/ all that reauthor sh*t; who wants to give up chapter marks for a little extra quality anyway??? <WG>

Yeah, you could still reauthor from the ISO if you want...

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You don't give up chapter marks!!

You give up all the bs menus?

Isnt quality better than the BS?

You wouldnt be having this discussion at all if you just backed up the main movie in the first place. :)

19. wild77

wild77 Guest

DVD Decrypter Shrink/Recode2 [bold]Main Movie Only[/bold] = perfect backups everytime!!!All the garbage is usually in the extras or menus,I prefer a better quality picture over a bunch of junk I don't even watch.

20. Picazzo

Picazzo Member

Use AnyDVD v4.5.6.2 ....load it ...reboot...and it will remove any CSS and region coding from your dvd burner and or player !

Only a 21 day demo....

Get it at ....

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/anydvd.cfm

Use DVDShrink 3.2 and it will cut throught it like "butter"....notice the "Not Encrypted" text in the analyzing and backup modes....!!

4 stars for AnyDVD v4.5.6.2 !!!