1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDShrink isn't making ISO files

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Sebright, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Sebright

Sebright Guest

I would be very grateful for help with a problem that's driving me nuts. I've been using DVDShrink for some time with no problems, but I've just installed it on to my new laptop (Acer Aspire, Centrino Duo, big HD)and it does not save ISO images when I use the Backup function. Instead it saves a number of files named I00,I02,I03 etc, roughly equivalent to the IFO and VOB files on the DVD I'm copying. I can play these with VLC player, and each plays separately.
    I've successly saved Nero image files to my HD, but I cannot produce an ISO file with DVDShrink as I can on my old laptop. I tried reinstalling it, but still no luck. Any advice?
    Thanks, Maz

2. 2colors

2colors Guest

When you click on backup. Do you choose create ISO Image file? Or HDFolder?

3. Sebright

Sebright Guest

I use the Create ISO image option.
    On my old laptop, this creates an ISO image on my HD, which I can burn to DVD later using Nero or Imgburn.

4. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

hello Sebright,

By any chance is ur HDD partitioned as FAT32 and not NTFS, if it is then that is the reason why the ISO is not one big file. FAT32 can't have any one file bigger than 4GB.

To find out if it is just open properties on ur HD to see what it is.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Sebright,

If you find your drive is in the FAT32 format then use the following to correct your problem.

To convert an existing FAT or FAT32 volume to NTFS, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    2. At the command prompt, type the following, where drive letter is the drive that you want to convert: convert drive letter: /fs:ntfs
    For example, type the following command to convert drive E to NTFS:
    convert e: /fs:ntfs
    Note: If the operating system is on the drive that you are converting, you will be prompted to schedule the task when you restart the computer because the conversion cannot be completed while the operating system is running. When you are prompted, click YES.
    3. When you receive the following message at the command prompt, type the volume label of the drive that you are converting, and then press ENTER: The type of the file system is FAT. Enter the current volume label for drive drive letter .....
    4. When the conversion to NTFS is complete, you receive the following error message at the command prompt: Conversion complete
    5. Quit the command prompt.

6. Sebright

Sebright Guest

Thanks so much for your help. Yes, my old laptop is NTFS partitioned, and my new old is FAT32, so this was obviously the problem.
    Changing the partitioning sounds pretty drastic (could I seriously mess my new laptop up?), but I will take a big breath and try it.
    Thanks, Maz

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You will be alright it isn't as bad as it sounds it actually works pretty good 95% of the time :)

8. Sebright

Sebright Guest

Errrr, my 120G HD is divided into 2: drives C and D. Will I have problems trying to change one from FAT32 partition? Presumably I can't change both in one operation?

9. Sebright

Sebright Guest

In case anyone else is having the same problem, here's a link to more info about the separate files, which it seems can be burned from the FAT32 partitioning. I'm going to experiment.
    Thanks again for all the advice.

10. Sebright

Sebright Guest

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If you don't want to go threw the process of changing your drives to NTFS it will be alright. You can still process as normal with Shrink just remember you will have more files. Think of it as an archive of split files as long as you pick the first file to burn your completed movie with the rest will automatically burn to the disc just fine.

12. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Just to add, u can set shrink to Output a video_ts Folder instead of an ISO file too.

With ImgBurn(free) u can burn both ISO and Video_ts folders.

13. Sebright

Sebright Guest

Yes, thank goodness, I found there was no need to change my FAT32 to NTFS. I couldn't get Nero or DVDDecrypter to burn a DVD from the separate files--kept getting error messages--but I found that if I just opened the asssociated mds file with Imgburn, it worked fine, and burned the DVD just as if I had one ISO image file.

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yes that is how you would correctly go about doing it and I am glad you got it figutred out :)

Cheers

15. Sebright

Sebright Guest

It never fails to surprise me how ready some people are to share their knowledge and help out with problems like this. When I contrast the kind attitude here with some online groups where people always seem to be bickering and sniping at each other, I'm even more grateful for it.
    All the best, Maz

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

We aim to please ;-)

Don't be fooled though there is some bickering that goes on here, but you are right not nearly as much as in other forums. That can probably be attributed to all the great Mods we have here though!

Cheers