1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDShrink Kills my Computer

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by linuxman, Apr 3, 2005.

1. linuxman

linuxman Member

I am having a problem with DVDShrink killing my computer. With every title that I try to back up it goes into the encoding process and then either black screens my computer oor it just locks up to the point that I have to hard boot the machine.

I have a pentium 4 2.0GHZ machine with 256 megs of ram running windows xp pro Service pack 2. The master and slave hard drives are running DMA 5 on the primary IDE chanel and the DVD Burner is on the secondary channel running DMA 3.

Has anybody else encountered this problem and if so what was the fix?

Linuxman

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

is shrink the only thing that suffers from this ?

3. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

4. linuxman

linuxman Member

Well the problem seems to be somthing other than DVDShrink. My machine is now just quitting at random times. Must be the processor, as I have changed out the memory and the hard drive and the dvd drives. It is perplexing..

5. creaky

@linuxman - It could be (just) heat related, like a poorly fitted heatsink or insufficient heatsink. When i bought my AMD cpu i was concerned about heat as i'd researched how hot these babies run. I had problems where my PC would beep & flash like mad after about a minute of switch-on (case has fandangled sensors & LED's) - turned out the heatsink/fan just couldn't cut it. (Couldn't tell by looking at it, massive thing. I bought a heatsink rated for a slightly higher cpu and voila. Could be stuff like airflow too but i wouldn't get bogged down with that, i'd investigate the heatsink first. You should see how little airflow there is in my tiny case, and it's wedged up the corner of my boat... http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/171319 bottom of page 1

ps you can download something called memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com) in case you double check that memory you swapped out. Not sure of it's up to date enough, but there are probably other programs like it..

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  6. calhounm

calhounm Guest

you can usually go to your motherboard manufacturer and find a utility program that will act like a benchmark giving you up to date info on cpu memory and temperature. so check that out and have it running while you run shrink or whatever else locks it up and post what you see

7. squizzle

squizzle Active member

creaky you live on a boat?

8. creaky

yup..

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Creaky, you da man! Must be nice to live on a boat!

Linuxman, I had issues like you were having when I first started using dvd shrink. I ended up putting in a new heatsink fan,a blower, and an extra 120 mm fan on the back of my tower. That took care of most of my problems. Unfortunantly a powersurge started the whole process over again and a new mobo took care of that.

You may also try a registry cleaner program for errors. I use registry mechanic.I'm sure there are better ones out there-I'm still looking.

I hope this may help you out some and good luck.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  10. creaky

yer, it is nice living off dry land. House prices are/were criminal. I've still got my massive server tower - Supermicro SC-750A (used to have 14fans in that, used to sound like a jumpjet - now that would be a powersurge) at back of boat but it's only there to keep the laundry off the floor!

My sexy little pc only has a 192W PSU, bless him!

@linuxman - don't forget to come back and update when ya sort it...

11. squizzle

squizzle Active member

so creaky do you like cruise around the world? I've always dreamed of doing that on a boat. Do lots of fishin'...nice and relaxing.

12. creaky

nah, have never taken it far!. i live in a marina and only ever get chance to take it a few miles up river once in a while (these boats only do 5miles an hour); but that's good enough for me, it's more about enjoying the weather than using the boat, for me. plus there's a pub right next door and in the summer, well need i say more about eye candy !; oh and beer too.. :)

13. squizzle

squizzle Active member

what city do you live in?

14. creaky

i'm in Bedford, and boy it's cold today.. and very choppy on the water today

15. angryone

angryone Member

I am also having problems with shrink. Have had it for many months with no problems, then suddenly it started closing and doing a minidump before it finished. Have formatted computer a few times and also got rid of service pack 2. Worked great for a few more days then started again. I am at aloss as what to do

16. squizzle

squizzle Active member

What do you mean by a "minidump"? Have you tried to defrag the hard drive? Maybe the packets aren't being written consecutively. Are there other programs running? Antivirus? Have you checked for viruses? Spyware? Ad-ware?

Creaky, isn't Bedford in connecticut or something?

17. creaky

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  18. angryone

angryone Member

I have deleted nero (i had a trial version) and all components of shrink. Got hold of a registered version of nero then reloaded shrink and all seems to be going well (just hope it keeps going). Thanks all for the help

19. squizzle

squizzle Active member

glad you got it sorted out.

20. angryone

angryone Member

well i thought it was sorted but i spoke to soon. does anyone know of another program which will fit a movie onto one disk and also get past the protection. i can burn with nero if there's no protection.