1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDShrink+Nero6 my DVD backups audio sounds flat

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rodedog57, Oct 24, 2004.

1. rodedog57

rodedog57 Member

I used the directions by Scubapete found on a prior thread. The backup worked perfectly all extras work fine and the picture is very crisp. Is there any type of setting that may cause the audio to sound a bit flat. It stills ounds nice but definately flatter thent he original im backing up. It is Van helsing. I know I know I dont know what type of media this is since its blank just wondering if its directly media related or possibly a setting someone affected the sounds quality kinda like settings can affect the picture quality.

2. rodedog57

rodedog57 Member

3. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

What audio streams did you select when you used Shrink?

4. rodedog57

rodedog57 Member

under edit>>>preferences>>stream selections in shrink It has all languages AC3 or LPCM and all languages. I left everything checked once I hit backup except revmoed french and spanish.

I followed these exactly as he stated.

Let’s go over our settings for DVD Shrink.
    When we open DVD Shrink, go to “Edit,” check to make sure that “Full disc Backup” is checked. Next, go to “Preferences,” where is says “DVD Target size” I select “Custom” and in the size box I put 4260MB. That allows you a bit of wiggle room on your disc so that you’re not writing to the very edge of your disc. NOTE: A 4.7GB disc only holds 4.36GB of data. I like a tiny bit of room when I burn hence, the 4260MB instead of 4360MB. Make sure the “User preferences” boxes are all “ticked”. Under the “Preview tab” be sure the “Enable video and audio preview” is “ticked”. Under the “File I/O tab,” - “tick” “Enabled overlapped I/O” and “Check RPC drive region code”. Under “Burn settings,” “tick” “Enable burning with Nero.” NOTE: When you wish to have Nero do it’s “Automatic burning thingie” make sure this box is “ticked.” Tick this box now ! DVD Shrink can also burn an ISO image with DVD Decrypter, when you wish to use DVD Decrypter as your burning engine, make sure this box is “un-ticked.” When you are finished, click “OK.”

Alrighty then, are you ready ? Good ! Let’s do us an entire DVD backup - -

Please do your homework and find the correct media for this project. The proper discs are extremely important and can make the difference between a good backup or a “Coaster”. (A coaster is a disc which didn’t burn correctly and therefore is good for nothing other than a beer coaster. Lol)

Place your original in your DVD ROM drive (if you have 2 drives) and put your blank in your burner’s drive tray. If you only have the one drive - put your original there and continue on - when your blank is needed, that is the time to swap discs. Click “Open Disc” - find your drive and click “OK,” - DVD Shrink is now ripping your DVD - Cool Huh ? If you want an entire disc, which we do today, everything is completely “Automatic” - (Just to make sure, check the top of the window, “Full Disc” should already be depressed - Now don’t get upset, it likes being depressed, I just don’t want you being depressed - ) - (lol) OK, then, moving on - -

When you click "Backup" in DVD Shrink, a box will come up saying “Backup DVD.” Under the “Target Device” tab where it says “Select target device” choose your burner’s drive. Where it says” Target Folder:” click "Browse" and trace your path back to "All DVD Work\ Pirates of the Caribbean Sitting by the Dock on the Bay ". Under the “DVD Region” tab, make sure “Region Free” is “ticked”. Under “Quality Settings”, “tick” “Perform Deep analysis” (it takes longer but with your longer pictures, it makes the picture quality Ooohh so much better :) Now, under "Quality Settings, "tick" "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation" there you may adjust quality enhancements. Practicing with the settings can produce even better end products. For a no-frills DVD's like "There's something about Mary" I like Extra Smooth BUT for DVD's with a lot of special effects, I use the Extra Sharp setting. That's for me, you'll have to decide what you like :) If all the boxes are "grayed out" that's OK, it means your DVD is small enough that little will be lost from the original. While we’re in the neighborhood, let's go to "Options and “tick” the “Run backup in low priority mode” box. Good, now click "OK". - Guess what, we’re done and done !!
    DVD Shrink will place a copy of your DVD’s files in a folder named VIDEO_TS and a folder named AUDIO_TS. This last one is empty so you need not worry about it. When all the compression etc. is finished DVD Shrink will open Nero and use it’s burning engine to burn your backup to your disc. You won’t see it, you’ll just see DVD Shrink’s preview window on your desktop. Feel free to minimize it if you wish BUT, use your PC for nothing else until this work is done.

5. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi. :)

rroettger, I don't know if that's what you're refering to, but it has often been observed DVD backups are quieter than the originals.
    The exact reason has not been found yet, but many believe it is due to the DVDs being burned as opposed to pressed (commercial DVDs).
    This volume change can vary depending on the media and DVD player used.

6. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

I usually do not use the Enabled overlapped I/O. Also, I do not run in low priority mode. I go for the fastest burn I can get. Besides encoding sucks up a lot of CPU. So on did you mean quieter or flat. My 5.1 sounds good on my backups, but I have not done anything with a challenging sound track yet.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    DELL Dimension 8300 XP Pro SP2
    Pentium 4 3.2GHz HT 1GB DDR SDRAM
    2x160GB RAID 0 SATA HDD
    16xDVD-ROM 8xDVD DL+R/+R/+RW
    19" LCD. Dolby 5.1[/small]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  7. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

I meant quieter.
    What did you mean by flat? ;)

8. rodedog57

rodedog57 Member

the volume on scenes like talking and stuff is fine. Just the "crispness" of special effects seems kinda bleh. If you've seen van helsing. there is a scene when he first gets to translevania and the brides come attack. he uses that automatic crossbow and while shooting the crossbow it has a pretty good sound to it. during the burned copy the sound it makes is pretty low and bland.

the volume overall seems ok just the sound effects parts seems low. Im gonna burn star wars and see how that sounds during the pod race scene.

9. rodedog57

rodedog57 Member

the volume on scenes like talking and stuff is fine. Just the "crispness" of special effects seems kinda bleh. If you've seen van helsing. there is a scene when he first gets to translevania and the brides come attack. he uses that automatic crossbow and while shooting the crossbow it has a pretty good sound to it. during the burned copy the sound it makes is pretty low and bland.

the volume overall seems ok just the sound effects parts seems low. Im gonna burn star wars and see how that sounds during the pod race scene.

10. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

I have personally experienced quieter overal sound levels, but never a change in balance between channels, and/or dialogs/music/effects...