1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDShrink Never Works, Always Same Problem

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by 336S, Jun 20, 2004.

1. 336S

336S Guest

I have the latest version of DVDShrink, have 1gig Pentium 3 processor, 1.5 gigs of memory, 40 gig HD.
    I have only 4 programs on the HD, Shrink, XP, Office
    and Nero. I have tried to back up 7 or 8 different DVDS
    DVDShrink keeps buffering the movie at about 8750/kb/sec. When it gets to 1657 megabytes, I always get the same message: DVDShrink encountred an error and
    cannot continue- out of memory, not enough storage is available to process this command. This HD is new the old one had the same problem. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks Joe

2. 64026402

64026402 Active member

When you hit backup and you get to the window for choosing the target what does the location of your file say is the destination and how much space does it claim to have just below it. Are you using ISO or files? Do you know if your fat 32 or NTFS on your HD?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Donald[/small]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2004
  3. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

I just had a similar problem with Win2K NTFS and solved the problem with a simple defrag.

I'm thinking your problem might also be with the either the hard drive or the DVD drive you are using to read the DVD. The first thing I would do is see if DVD Decrypter (freeware) has any problem with the files. If it doesn't, this might suggest a through-put problem that might be caused by a slow hard drive (not DMA enabled in Device Manager), or possibly due to sharing the same IDE channel with the DVD read drive.

You have the right idea about limiting the amount of software on the HD, though. I would suggest taking this one step further and partitioning the drive into C and D, so that only the software is on C, and the conversions are sent to D. It will then be a lot easier to keep the software defrag'd...which can also cause problems like you are mentioning.

It would also be helfpful if you stated what DVD drive you have. Some of the new ones require a firmware update.

4. 336S

336S Guest

My thanks to both of you for responding to my question. I have spoken with some friends of mine who are knowledgeable about computers, but not with this program. Their advice to me is to buy a new computer as they think mine may not be compatible with the program. I have a hard time thinking that this is a problem unique to me and my computer. I did have success with one back-up yesterday and the difference was that the encoding rate was approximately 1500 KB/sec. The problem is in the encoding stage. The computer is not able to handle higher rates of information. When it does not work the encoding rate is over 2000 KB/sec and the buffereing rate keeps going up until the computer is out of memory. It is as if the computer cannot place the information on the hard drive. My computer has a removable tray for hard drives. With my old drive I had the same problem so I got a new 40 gig hard drive, but it made no difference. It appears to me that the hard drive is not the issue. I have a 12X CD player. I went into the device manager and it said: ATAPI DVD rom standard CD rom drive, location 1. The burner does not seem to be involved as it never gets to that point. The burner is an 8X BENQ. I don't know whether I am using ISOs or files. I have NTFS on my hard drive and DMA is enabled on my hard drive also. When choosing the target the file destination says that I have 25,819 megs of space available. The hard drive is a 7,200 rpm. Thanks for your help and your patience. Joe

5. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

It seems that you are doing all the right things...including the use of a removable tray...which I also prefer. I would agree with you that your computer should do the job...as I have successfully crunched VOB files with my old 550 MHz Celeron and 256MB RAM.

It seems what you are describing is a memory/data allocation problem that is hardware related...and would involve either the CPU, MB, or RAM memory. I would suggest you run a test to see if all your memory is functioning. You can download a nifty little program from Microsoft(free) from here http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp . If the memory shows to be bad, I suggest you also try running the diagnotic with the memory in another computer. I had a case recently where my MB was actually the problem and the MS routine said all the RAM was bad. Intel also has a similar program to check your CPU.

And again, I would suggest running DVD Decrypter to see if it presents any problems. If not, I believe you could then use Nero Recode to back-up your DVD.

One more thing. You do not mention any player S/W like PowerDVD. You should at least make sure that you can view DVD's on your computer. And, if you have a new burner, you could be required to set the region code.

6. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

There is one other thing you might check...and that is the virtual memory setting for your hard drive...if you haven't done so already. Here is a good discussion of virtual memory and fixes for XP: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php .

7. 336S

336S Guest

Just as an aside: I tried to use DVD Decryptor and it encountered a file it could not handle in the movie so I had to skip it (it did the other files). When I tried to finish the process with DVD Shrink 3.1, I got an error message that it could not continue "invalid data" with a long file name ending in VOB stating "overlapper I/O operation in progress".
    Thanks, Joe

8. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

That could be some useful info. You might also consider trying to rip with Smartripper to see what happens. DVD Decripter is a great ripping tool though, and if it is having a problem with a certain file, I would start looking for a problem with the actual DVD or the read drive. Do you have another DVD you could try? Also, have you had a chance to check the memory yet?

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Just wondering how much FREE space is your HD showing? With 40 gig you should have enough but you may have something going on with it causing a loss of space. You need about 10 to 15 gig free space to be safe.

Jerry

10. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

I overlooked your HD capacity. If you have Partition Magic, I would suggest a 10 Gig C and 30 Gig D where all the S/W is on C, and the files are on D. This will change the way data is handled, and will keep the S/W on C from fragging. By using this method I was able to fix a similar problem with a Celeron 550/256MB.

Whatever you decide to do, you should also check your virtual memory to make sure that it is set to handle large files. It is possible that its default setting isn't allocating enough space to handle the large files. For a good discussion on virtual memory in XP, and instructions, go here: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

11. 336S

336S Guest

Did the overnight memory test. Everything was fine.

12. 336S

336S Guest

DOC 409,
    You mentioned Partition Magic. I don't have it. By the way, my hard drive is drive F (I don't know if that makes a difference). You had mentioned that if I set the hard drive partition to 10 gigs for C and 30 gigs for D that this would change the way data is handled and this would keep the S/W on C from fraging. What is S/W? I read the virtual memory article. It was beyond my scope. My virtual memory is set at 2,046 minimally and 4092 maximally. Once again I tried Shrink and it started encoding, the buffered memory went up to about 100 MB than back to 0, then it did it again then both the encoding rate and the buffer rate started going up and didn't stop until the buffered megabites hit 1,613 Megabites. It seems that it works initially, but for some reason stops dumping information on the hard drive and then just holds it in RAM until it reaches its capacity then sends the error message. I would be more than happy to try Partition Magic to see if it would help. Thanks, Joe

13. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Since you have XP (NTFS), Partition Magic 8 would be the program. However, partitioning your drive is not a "must have", or it shouldn't be. I just know that it worked for me...along with some custom tweeking. It sounds like using it might be beyond your level of expertise, though.

Concerning drive letters, A & B are for the floppy. If your CD drive is cabled to IDE-1 on the MBoard, which it seems to be, then the first cd drive will be C, the second D. If you have virtual drives, I believe they will also have letters. Then comes the hard drives. Each partition will be assigned a drive letter. If you get this far, it helps to name the drive, and you can do that under the "properties" menu for the drive.

S/W is short for software.

Now then...about the virtual memory article being beyond your scope... If virtual memory is your problem, and I believe it is, if you can't follow the practical fix part, there isn't much anyone here can do for you. I don't mean to be unkind, but there is no magic wand.

I would suggest you double or even quadruple the high end on your VM. See if the symptoms change at all. If not, it might be due to a corrupt VM file from a bad shutdown. Go to the bottom of the article, and do what it says to repair the file. Then try again. If the problem remains, then it is something else. At least you have eliminated one problem area.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2004
  14. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

336S...

It occurred to me that you may not know what virtual memory is. It is bassically where the hard drive is used to temporaily store files and info. If the VM is not set high enough, the HDD can run out of memory space. Large file crunching needs more space.

This symptom is almost word-for-word what the article calls a virtual memory problem.

It sounds like the VM file on the HDD is too small, or corrupt. Keep in mind that when installing XP, there are default VM values set up, and they are set to what MS thinks would be normal usage. Crunching large VOB files is not considered normal (compared to word processing).

15. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

DP

16. royal007

royal007 Member

did you ever figure out how to fix this problem?, cause i'm having the exact same problem.

17. 336S

336S Guest

Sorry for the delay in replying to your post. I have been on vacation and away from the things of man...
    I work for one of the largest computer companies in the world. Within the company we have both desk top support and IT personel, but no one was able our mutual questions. When we have a problem in my section with out computers that we are unable to fix in-house, we send out an urgent message to a young man named John. After the message goes out, John seems to arrive from nowhere. John has an aura about him, staring off into the distance and all. We are sure that he sees beyond the veil...the last time he was in the office, I decided to humbly ask the unanswerable question (with averted eyes as no one looks directly at him). John asked me what my DVD ripping set-up was, and I told him that I had an internal player and a 8X DVD burner. I don't know if he told me the answer verbally or with telepathy, but this was his answer: try doing everything from the burner. Lo and behold, my problem was solved (as may be yours). It seems that even though the DVD player would play a DVD correctly, it could not encode correctly for the burning process. I have since bought a new player and the process is now complete. I continue to follow the force, Joe.

18. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Thanks for getting back. John sounds like quite a guy!!!

Interesting enough, I stopped using my DVD-ROM some time ago, and just went with my burner for everything. Some people swear by having both as part of their setup, with some even thinking they will get more life out of the burner. If I am able to wear out my burner before it becomes obsolete, I will be amazed!!!

Good luck.

19. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Burners are so cheap right now I just use 2 burners.
    I go from one to the other.

20. holy_man

holy_man Member

The problem is neither with Shrink, burner or hard drive space. I am convinced the problem is with the DVD. I have been using Shrink for backups some a considerate time and never had problem even with cheap DVD-R till this week when same message came up as 336S newbie friend. I tried backup after running defrag to completion and got the same message after 65% of the disk is encoded. It seems DVD Shrink is not compatible with some types of DVD recordings which may be pirated. I had no trouble backing up originals today which suggests that the problem is with the DVD that you and me are trying to backup. I am also experiencing problem copying the same dvd, that failed with Shrink, using DVD XCopy express.