1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvdshrink or dvd2one?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by johniemi, Nov 11, 2003.

1. johniemi

johniemi Guest

A simple question, which one is better for DVD backuping? Both of them can rip out unnecessary parts from the dvd (like foreign audio, extras etc.) so that's why I'm thinking of these two, but which one gives better image quality? Encoding time is not important, image quality is.

Also note that price also is not important as I will buy the program for my company.

Thanks.

2. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

if price is not an issue, dvd2one is better(not that $30 is that much of an issue anyways). Oriphus did a little study comparing dvd2one to shrink in their compression and found dvd2one to be better. dvd2one will do a variable compression while shrink is fixed. The deep analysis of shrink does improve the image but adds 30-40 minutes to the process.

3. koola

koola Guest

DVD Shrink because its FREE! DVD Shrink beta 3.0 does not have fixed compression now so you can adjust it to your liking :D

CloneDVD is also a good alternative to DVD2One and about the same price.

4. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Well I don't know guys, I never liked DVD2One. I don't know why! I have to admit that the result are very good but I prefer DVD Shrink or CloneDVD instead. Anyway DVD Shrink is free, so everyone should have it downloaded and then if he has to choose another one, this is Clone. This Movie-only or full disc question of DVD2One is not good. (What if you want the menus and 1 extra?)
    CloneDVD let's you keep only movie and menus and as many extras you want. Sweet piece of work!

5. koola

koola Guest

CloneDVD can do this johniemi.

6. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Personally, I often use DVDShrink and DVD2One together. I essentially use Shrink as an advanced ripper, but do my compression with DVD2One. This process is especially useful if you are doing multi-episode DVDs like Band of Brothers or the Sopranos.

I often rip the files to my harddisk via Shrink so that I can strip out audio and subtitle streams I don't want, and compress any extras that I feel are unneeded to still pictures. This maintains the menu structure of the disc (I don't use the reauthor mode here).

Once the files are on my harddisk (including menues and the extras I wanted to keep) I do the compression via DVD2One in "full movie" mode.

However, i only use the above process if I am not doing a "movie only" backup (in which case I would use DVD Decypter and DVD2ONe).

So basically, I think that DVD2One is a very worthwhile investment, but you might as well download Shrink as well so that you can get the best out of both.

7. Bodene

Bodene Regular member

I have both...but I use DVD2One. It's so much simpler and quicker to use than DVD Shrink, and I've read where it produces a higher quality result than shrink.

Takes me 22 minutes to rip and compress a 1:45 movie using dvd decrypter and DVD2One....whereas it took me 43 min to do the same with DVD Shrink.

I have no desire to pick and choose which extras or whatever to include onto a dvd. I either just copy the movie, or the whole disc. Therefore DVD2One is perfect for me.

Yeah...ya gotta cough up some cash....but it's worth it._X_X_X_X_X_[small]There is no problem so big, that a brick placed against the proper skull cannot fix =)[/small]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2003
  8. nograde1

nograde1 Member

after you backup what program has worked for burning?

9. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

RecordNow Deluxe works great for burning. There's afully functioning 30-day demo available if you want to try it out.

10. nograde1

nograde1 Member

recordnow max is great. i'm just at the end of the 30day trial and can't figure out how to reload it. i have not found anything else that works with dvdshrink.

11. RWG

RWG Regular member

nograde1,

Use Nero 6 Ultra in DVD-Video mode. Works great with DVD Shrink.

12. nograde1

nograde1 Member

rwg - i have nero 6. what other settings do you use with dvd-video mode? the last i tried i got video but no audio. i backedup using dvdshrink to a VIDEO_TS file. i've seen 2 different nero guides, what settings work for you?

coaster land!

13. RWG

RWG Regular member

nograde1,

I use dvdshrink 2.3 95% of the time - it works ok for me. I'm usually reauthoring also, getting the main movie and cutting out foreign languages and subtitles and compressing if needed.

I also -DO NOT- backup to a VIDEO_TS folder - I make a folder, name it the same as the movie and let the dvdshrink BUP, IFO and VOB files fall into it.

When I burn with Nero 6 the Wizard is off, I chose DVD-Video, label the movie using the Label tab and click on new. In my Nero setup 4 areas appear; left most is the movie name (hilighted) with AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders appearing below. The VIDEO_TS folder is shaded red.

The next window is the compilation window with an AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS in it. [bold]At this point click on the red VIDEO_TS folder in the left most window. The *.TS folders in the compilation window will disappear.[/bold]

Now use the Nero browser window to navigate to your movie folder where you instructed dvdshrink to put the BUP, IFO and VOB files. Click on the folder to open the files in the right most window. Select all these files and drag them to your compilation window. You should be ready to burn.

If you have some RW media use it for testing purposes. I'll suggest setting your burn speed to 2x also. Click on burn - good luck.

Got Qs? Ask 'em. I'm dvdshrink-ing DREAMCATCHER now.

14. nograde1

nograde1 Member

I've tried 3 times. Video OK on all 3 but only 1 had audio?

Waz up?!!!

15. RWG

RWG Regular member

nograde1,

Sorry I'm late getting back to you. You aren't removing all the audio when using dvd shrink are you? You need at least one audio included. I remove foreign languages and subtitles. There are times that 2 English audios are shown - 2ch and 6ch. I leave all English audio selected even if it's 0 meg.

Other than that I can't think of anything that would keep the audio from playing.

g'luck

16. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

DVD Shrink v3.0 beta 5. ;)

- Indeniably more flexible:
    *full-disc.
    *movie-only.
    *re-authoring.
    *splitting.
    *compilations/combining flippers.
    *customizable compression inc. "still-pictures".
    *mixed-compressions per title.
    *"start/end" (to crop parts of a title or to apply "Still Pictures" to the end-credits for example...).

- As good and often better quality of the backups (in the comparative tests I made in any case).

- Not need to rip first (even though some damaged or dirty DVDs might need the use of DVD Decrypter).

- dvdshrink, the developer, cares about his sofware users, and as always tried to implement their requests when reasonable (not "ability to convert PAL to NTSC", or "ability to convert Full-screen to Widescreen" for example).

- Very friendly and helpful support forums: http://forum.digital-digest.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=48

I could also mention it's free, but I would advise using it even if it cost as much as DVD2One (or more).

Some say DVD Shrink might get you good quality backups, but it too hard to use, has to many features, or is not "lean" enough (at less than 300kb??).

Have a look at the following animated guides (in Flash format) and make your own opinion on the matter: http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php

Last edited: Nov 19, 2003
  17. LeeFields

LeeFields Guest

nograde1

This may sound like a no brainer, But, Have you tryed pressing the AUDIO button on your remove. Some of my movies go on to defult at DTS or directors commentry and I have to press the audio button on my remote to get to English 1.

18. FlthyChry

FlthyChry Guest

Shrink it baby!