1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDshrink question

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by fibertag, Feb 28, 2004.

1. fibertag

fibertag Guest

Im trying to figure out why my dvd drive wich can transfer at 7-10 kbs will only rip to my HD wDVDshrink when Im ripping an original dvd. If I backup a backup it will transfer at 10 KB/s or a little higer. When I do a transfer test w
    ero the test shows 7-10 kb/s. I have the latest firmware and program updates tryed reinstalling drives and programs. One other thing dont know if its related but when I try to do a transfer test in nero with a original dvd i get an error that says "read of scrambled sector without authintication".I dont get this error wmy burner drive just my Reg. DVD drive. Dont know if they are related but any help w hese two things would be most helpfull! Thanks

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Nero Transfer Rate tests of original DVD's do not work (same error as you) for both my reader and burner.

I don't understand your first question. Are you saying there is a slight difference in read speeds between an original and a backup?

3. fibertag

fibertag Guest

OK Ill explain better. I have 2 dvd drives 1 is just a reader and the other is a burner. My reader will transfer at 9,000-10,000 kbs Ive tested it with a data transfer tester. My ? is why when I use my dvd drive in dvd shrink to rip to my HD does it not reach these speeds? Now if I backup a backup w\dvdsshrink It will rip at 9,000-10,000 KB/s but not w\the original dvd. Now I did find if i set dvdshrink to low priority it will get up to 5,000 kb/s. Also I figured out if I use the program ANYDVD I can use nero testdrive and I get no error. Ok hope this clears up my ? . Thanks

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Because data from the original DVD NEEDS to be decypted , simple as that :D

5. MysticE

MysticE Active member

As a side note to backup a backup you don't need to rip or use Shrink. Simply copy it with any app you use that handles DVD's.

6. fibertag

fibertag Guest

So its a bottleneck w\proc and ram then. Im only running a celeron 1.3ghz w\384 megs ram on a OLD abit BE6 II M/B. I did get it to rip at 5300 kbs by tinkering w\some Dvdshrink settings. That got me down to 30 min to Rip & Burn a DVD. As far as the backup a backup thing goes I know I dont have to use shrink my point of useing shrink to backup a backup was to see if there was a data transfer rate diff. thats all. Well thanks for the help everyone!!

7. toddfilo

toddfilo Member

I think I know what you are saying. I belive herbsman said it: "compression". Try making a backup of a movie that does not need compression and I'm sure it will xfer just as fast as a copy. I always use "Re-Aurthor" and I trim out everything but the movie and the audio I want. About half the time I do this I end up with a movie that doesn't need compression at all and the xfer rate is very fast. Sometimes the movie is still a tad too big and trimming some of the end credits will fix that. Of course I always trim the bs from the beginning.

8. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Yes, the original DVD will usually take a lot longer if it is larger and requires a lot of compresion.
    My dual 1.2 Athlon would take about 50 minutes to rip "The Big Lebowski" entirely to the HD with X-copy.
    It took 30 minutes with DVDshink because it'll use both procs.
    I have a couple of 4 Gigabyte movies on the original disks the take about 8 minutes to rip to the HD.
    The speed of the DVD is not a very big factor.

Hi guys. I just started burning a few weeks ago. Its kind of addicting.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Donald[/small]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2004
  9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I don't see the word compression anywhere -

He said - [bold] the original DVD NEEDS to be decypted [/bold]

It takes DVD Shrink a little time to "unlock" the DVD's Encryption - think of it as a bunch of locks, DVD Shrink needs time to try keys to fit the locks -

Com'on kids, this stuff isn't that tough-

(WheeeeYooooo)

I need to get hooked on some drugs -

"P"

10. fibertag

fibertag Guest

Scubapete you are correct I re authored a couple of dvd to fit shrink w/no compresion and i ripped to HD in about 8-5 mins. I started useing anydvd in conjunction w\shrink set shrink to run in low priority and my rip and burn times are WAY DOWN. oh yea on a side note 64026402 if I understand you right you say drive speed dosent have much to do w\it. I do not agree if drive 1 transfers data at 2.5 kb/s and drive 2 transfers at 7 kb/s the drive will make a BIG diff. Thnaks for all the help guys.

11. 64026402

64026402 Active member

The point was you can't rip any faster than your computer will process. If that wasn't the case then a 16x dvd would rip a big DVD in 4 minutes.

12. fibertag

fibertag Guest

ahhh I see what your saying. Yes thats true then. It has mad a diff in my case though when I do less compresion my reg dvd reader ripps faster then my dvd burner.

13. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

DVD Writers are usually restricted to read speed , but as in the case of the Pioneer 105 ... there was firmware to help it rip at 'upto' x12 (aswell as RPC1 - unlock region in other words).

A DVD-Rom drive will always read quicker than a DVD-Writer !!

14. fibertag

fibertag Guest

Yea thats why I bought the cheap lite-on dvd drive my burner only rips at 4-5 buyt the lite on is around 8 or a little more. That brings me to another point and this REALLY pisses me off has for years. How is it drive manufacturers can claim 16x or what ever transfer times but the actual transfer speed is more like 8x. WTF is that isnt that kinda like faulty advertising? Opinions ?