1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDshrink takes forever

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by j_ripper, Jan 5, 2004.

1. j_ripper

j_ripper Member

I just got a new pioneer A06 for Christmas and have been using DVD Xcopy Xpress. I use my DVD-ROM that 16X to read discs. It takes about 30min to read a disc and another 30 to burn, but I am not content with the options of XcopyXpress.

DVDshrink takes about and hour and a half just to encode. Is there anyway to increase speed.

933Mhz P3
    Windows 2000
    512Mbytes ram

Thanks

2. cleft

cleft Member

It is most likely your reader/computer setup.

After reading some of the posts within this site, I decided to take the plunge and try some of this backup. I found that dvdshrink was easy to use and renders excellent quality.

Timing on my computer was in the range of 17 minutes give or take some. Around 4 minutes for the re-read. I have not burned any, choosing to save them to the hd instead. The computer I used was not any great thing, being an e-machine, 512 ram, 2.4 gig clock speed.

3. cleft

cleft Member

One other thing I forgot to mention.

The more you have to encode the movie to fit a dvd disc, the more processing time it takes. Smaller movies that don't need much encoding go a lot faster than larger ones.

4. j_ripper

j_ripper Member

Thanks,

I backed-up spiderman, which was about 7.6G. The ratio for the menues and extras were set to the lowest setting, which allowed the main movie to be set at a 74% ratio. This took a litle over 1 hour.

Any advice on tweaking my comp to encode faster?

5. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

more memory, faster cpu, thats about it.

6. karatone

karatone Regular member

j. ripper, check your device settings in the device manager to make sure your drives are set to DMA mode and not PIO,this is a common problem with XP Pro so I'm not sure if it happens with 2000,but it's worth a look.I had a problem with DvdDecrypter taking a long time to encode on one of my machines,till I found out how important the settings are.My average time to decrypt is around 7-13 minutes,compress 10-15,and to burn with the same Pioneer drive you have ,10-15 minutes . I'm using 1.Dvddecrypter 2.Dvd2one 3.Nero average 45-50 minutes to back up movie only.So if DVd shrink is taking you an hour and a half ,you have a problem somewhere.Good luck! check those settings!!

7. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

my computer is about the same as j_ripper, with a a05 and it takes about 20 minutes to rip (if no compression needed), up to 1 hour if about 20% compression is needed. Then if i do deep analysis, it adds another hour.

8. j_ripper

j_ripper Member

How much of a benifit is deep analysis? I haven't tried it yet because it takes so long without it.

Plus any advice on speeding up is still appriciated.

9. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

Well really depends on the movie and what you are doing with it, but i was messing around with a dvd (cant rember what one) but without deep analysis 12 minutes, with it 31 minutes!

10. actech

actech Regular member

try just doing the movie and not the extras. that should cut down the time and will give you less shrink to the dvd. i do all of mine with deep analysis, was told it makes better quality on larger screens cant tell on a 32 but someday the monster wall tv will be mine and i want it to look great

11. mejane

mejane Member

Need some help. My DVD shrink takes awhile so I thought I would check my device manager like Karatone suggested. Problem is, I am new to Windows XP (hated it at first but it is growing on me) -- anyway, I went to device manager, chose my DVD drive but cannot for the life of me figure out where I would check for PIO vs DMA

jane

12. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Heres how I check DMA/PIO:
    Start> Rt click "my computer"> Device manager> Open IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers (click on the box with the + in it)> Rt click primary IDE channel> propertys> advanced settings. You should see if its in DMA or PIO there.
    Then do the same thing to the secondary IDE channel.
    This is out of my notes, I'm going to check it out and see if this is correct. I'll edit this post if its not correct.

Well the only thing I can add is that there is a dropdown menu called "transfer mode". That is what you are changing from PIO to DMA.

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  13. backupdvd

backupdvd Member

Hi.

Hmm... I just checked my settings as well (in Windows XP Pro), and both IDE channels are running DMA, but when I choose deep analysis, it took in total 1 hour and 47 minutes. And without deep analysis, it took about 1 hour and 14 minutes. (The movie I am playing with is Stargate season 5 Volume 2.)

How fast of PC is recommended to cut down the time...
    on mrbass site:(http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/), it took them under 17 minutes to completely backup Pirates of the Carribean.... That movie is about 3 hours and the Stargate I am playing with is just 3 minutes under 3 hours.

Could someone that is working with a 3 hour long movie or so, please list their PC spec?...

Thanks...

14. surf714

surf714 Member

I'm using two desktops, both with DVDShrink 3.1.3. With my 2.6 GHz and 1Gig RAM I can usually read/encode & burn in under an hour.

I too experienced the slow read/write times, as my operating system is XP Home. I found the easiest way to keep the DMA settings from getting screwed up by XP is to go into Control Panel, System, Hardware Device, and IDE Controller. I've been Uninstalling my Secondary Chanel, and letting Windows "find" it at the next bootup. This keeps the errors for the chanel under 6, which is the magic number that XP makes the device operate in the PIO mode.

Kind of a hassle, but sure beats the 1:40 minute read times I was getting before doing this. I'm sure the new computer and RAM helped speed it up also.

15. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Under 17 miutes from start to finish? Thats really fast! With an 8X burn speed of 7 or 8 minutes, thats a 9 or 10 minute rip, counting the set-up time.
    Maybe they were refering to the rip speed only.

I have a about 20 to 30 minute rip times with my Sony Vaio. 2.53 Ghz CPU, 1024 MB RAM, 105 GB HDD, using a Sony CRX 300 DVD-ROM.
    The ROM rips a lot faster than my Pioneer A06 burner, it takes about 45 minutes.

16. backupdvd

backupdvd Member

surf714 and fasfrank:
    So for you guys, it was about an hour to analyze, encode, and burn, correct (basically start to finish)? How long was the movie you are backing up?

The times you stated, did that include deep analysis?

surf714: That's good to know about the error count of 6 before swithcing to PIO... On my PC, it says, "Transfer Mode: DMA if Available" and under "current Transfer Mode: Multiword DMA Mode 2". I don't think I've ever seen them say PIO...what would cause it to have those erros that would make it run in PIO?

17. surf714

surf714 Member

The movies I'm burning are usually in the 2 hour in length neighborhood, some longer (Heat was 172 minutes). Deep anaylsis can sometimes put the entire process a little over an hour on my newer desktop.

For what causes the error count on the IDE Channel, I'm not sure. The other day a scratched up original caused quite a few reading errors. I didn't check the DMA mode, but instead just did the usual uninstall of the Secondary IDE chanel. I also noticed that on badly marked up originals, my read times can drop significantly. On a new condition original, my computer usually reads/decrypts at about 6-7x (although my HP DVD burner is supposed to read at 12x).

18. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

hi backupdvd,
    I just finished backing up The Abyss, special edition.

I burned title 1 and title 4. Length was 2:43.36. The uncompressed size was 7667 MB, after selecting the 5.1 audio only and trimming the end credits.

Shrink encoding time was 15 minutes w/o Deep Analysis, 2 minutes to set the burn up with Nero Burning ROM and then 14 minutes to burn. The initial analysis and set up with Shrink took 4 minutes. The whole thing took 35 minutes from start to finish.

I burned it again using Deep Analysis and letting Shrink use the auto-burn feature, total time for this was 47 minutes.

Cheers,
    Frank

19. snooch

snooch Member

sorry for hoppin in on you post j_rip but i just have to thanks fasfrank for taking time to post the info regarding the pio/dma settings.. Changing them cut my rip time in half.

20. aymin101

aymin101 Member

I was having the exact same problem in which it would literally take hours to rip, analyse and then encode the DVD on my hard drive using DVDShrink.

I was told that there is a bug in Nero which slows down the ripping speed significantly if you've ticked the 'Burn with Nero' box in the DVDShrink Preference Settings- so you should untick that and it may run faster (even though it didn't on my computer).

Apparently, Nero have confirmed the bug and are planning to fix it in their next update.

In the meantime, i've taken to using 'DVDDecrypter' to rip the DVD to my computer.

Then, i use 'DVD2One' to compress and encode it and then 'CopytoDVD' to burn it (both programs work together in one motion if you have both of them).

Overall, it's reduced my ripping time to 20 minutes or so, my compressing and encoding to 40 minutes and the burning to half an hour.

The only downside is i don't know how much of a difference the 'Deep Analysis' feature would have made...