1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDx4 or DVDx8 ??

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by don99, Oct 17, 2004.

1. don99

don99 Guest

I am currently using Ridata (Ritek) 4X DVD+R's for my back-ups without a single problem, BTW, I purchased them at Meritline Media, 100 for $39.00 after rebate.
    My question is, If I use a disc that says 8X, will this necessarily speed up my burning process or will it still burn at the fastest speed my burner is capible of?I have the new Sony DRX 700UL. Nice ..
    AND which DVD is most preferable to folks out there. Since I have had excellent success with the DVD+R's I feel inclined to stick with them unless there is a good reason to switch.
    I see the prices are comparable.
    Thanks everyone
    Don

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

don99,
    In order to burn 8x media at 8x speed your burner has to be rated 8x or higher or have some modified firmware. You could still burn at 4x on 8x media if your burner was only rated at 4x. Hope I didn't confuse you more. There are exceptions to the rule for example, even though the Ridata dvd+r (media code Ricohjpnr01)are 4x media I burn them at 8x with some modified firmware all the time with no problems. Some media will not respond well to this and you'll have a frisbee. I also like the Ridata +r media.

3. Pony321

Pony321 Regular member

I'm burning with a Plextor px-708a. The media I'm using is Ritek Ridata. RItek DVD+R I always burn at 2.4x and DVD-R I always burn at 2x.

Regardless of the blank dvd media speed I will always burn at these speeds. There's less chance of burn errors at the lower speeds. Another thing is I always reboot my computer then shutdown programs running in the backround before burning. Works every time.

4. baboo

baboo Member

I have a question, about burning If you have 4x media is it advisable to stay burning at that speed or below. If you burn at 8x on a 4x disk is there going to be problems?
    Baboo

5. don99

don99 Guest

What makes the Burner burn faster? It it a setting that is set in the firmware or is it determined when you put in the disc..

6. baboo

baboo Member

When I am ready to burn it gives me the option at 2.4 or 4.0 or 8.0, I burned at 8.0 on a 4.0 and i had trouble viewing it , it would stop and go many times as it was playing, even though it completed the burn with no problems. The disk that I used was a Fuji 4x, and in some spots it would distort the picture. I am using shrink 3.2 and nero ultra 6 with all the updates

Baboo
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Baboo[/small]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

baboo,
    It is generally recommended that you burn at or below the speed the media is rated at. One exception to this rule is ricohjpnr01 which is 4x media but actually burns better at 8x. Most media does not respond well to speedhacking (burning at a higher speed than the media is rated at). What is the MID code of your Fuji media? I would first try another burn at the rated speed. That problem could be caused by speedhacking or poor quality media. Use dvdinfopro or dvd identifier to determine the MID.
    don99,
    What is the burn speed of your dvdrw? I can't find it anywhere.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  8. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Your burner the Sony and a few others manufacturers have built-in their firmware an algorithm for error checking -- when the burn starts it will report to the burning software if it can decrease or increase the burning speed ! Of course the media itself is a criteria used by the burning software to initiate the speed it will burn at -- However , it's not rare that you will see a 4X media burned at 8X when all the conditions are right !

So you are right on both counts !

Regards
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2004
  9. baboo

baboo Member

The burn speed of the plextor is 12x

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

baboo,
    What is the media code of your Fuji media?

11. baboo

baboo Member

where do I find that?

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

13. baboo

baboo Member

which one there are three

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

First one if you want it in english.

15. baboo

baboo Member

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

What is the manufacturer ID and name?

17. baboo

baboo Member

Ricoh company Ricoh jpn

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

That is good quality media. I would try another rip/burn at 4x and see if that solves your problems.

19. baboo

baboo Member

Thank you for all the info, One other question , Do you think dvd+r is much better than dvd-r. That is all I use is +r never tried -r

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

They both have their pros and cons. Dvd-r is more compatable on older stand-alone dvd players. Dvd+r can be changed to dvd-rom format which will make them just as compatable as dvd-r if not more so. Dvd-r at one time was less expensive, but they are both pretty competitively priced anymore. If you find a brand and format that works well for you stay with it. Personally I prefer and have had better success with dvd+r since I booktype all my burns as dvd-rom. Good luck and welcome to AD. Come back and share some knowledge and info to some other folks in the process of learning.