1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvdxcopy gold/express , "successful burn", but no play

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Plaz, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Plaz

Plaz Guest

I have an LG 4040B burner and have successfully backed up a few dvd's but I went and bought the software dvdxcopy gold (trial was up) and used the express version that came with dvdxcopy gold and i now have a few more coasters. I did install nero before installing the bought version, could there be a conflict? I also used different types of media, 2 imation and 2 verbatim. The verbatims worked fine with the dvdxcopy (normal version) but with the express version it said the burns were successful (Blade Runner and Scarface) but the player won't pick them up.
    Is it the media?? The imation cd's didn't work at all. I have since deleted nero 6 from my computer but have yet to try burning another dvd, in hopes I get some help here.
    thanks
    Plaz

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

3. xtrail

xtrail Guest

I landed up with a similar situation with last update. Upgraded to DVDXopcyPlatinum it works fine. Your Verbatim media is definitely fine. Some members might disagree but I will stay away from Nero at all costs. Consider going DVD Decrypter/Smart Ripper, DVD2One route. Works magic.

4. Plaz

Plaz Guest

5. R_Regan

R_Regan Guest

I have the same problem with Xpress2.5.0 (successful burns but freeze during playback around 40 minutes or so into the movie). I've burned 15 DVD's successfully with as many coasters. I've followed "Blacklist," Sony troubling shooting & tech assistant and DVDXcopy Forum without resolve. I am one step away from throwing my computer out the window...HELP!

WinXP Professional SP1 (all updates)
    1.5 Ghz Intel P4
    256 mb Ram
    Maxtor 7200 rpm, 120 Gb Hard Drive
    Sony DVD RW (DRU-510A)
    Pioneer DVD Rom (DVD-116)
    NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS
    Creative SB Live

I don't know what else to list...Help!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2003
  6. xtrail

xtrail Guest

it might be good idea to uninstall all relevant copy s/ware. Clean up registries with reg cleaner or system mechanic. Restart run scandisk and defrag. Re-install only the s/ware you will be using. Stay away from too many similar type products on one harddisk. It might cause glitches. Try copying with Rw disc to scrutinise end result then copy to R if Ok. Save you lots of discs. Hope it works.

7. R_Regan

R_Regan Guest

Thanks, I've cleaned the registry, used msconfig, defragged more times than I care to remember, partitioned my hard drive with 40 gb just for xcopy. Uninstalled all programs close to the subject matter (scanner, digital camera, anything related to Roxio programs). Conducted file search with a wild card for left over program files,nothing doing. I just burned a successful backup, tried again and I last looked at xpress it was 51% into burning the movie, went to the john, came back and the screen said "completed successfully," took the disc out and only half of it was used. Earlier today the same thing happend, only about 40 minutes of the movie was burned and the screen froze. I thought about using a DVD-RW but then I don't or haven't used Xcopy or Nero (which I uninstalled) to make a copy of a copy. I really thought and hoped my problem would have been corrected by now with all the info out there.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2003
  8. xtrail

xtrail Guest

Sorry to hear that. Get freeware from www.JV16.org called reg cleaner and JV16 power tools to clean out registry. Might be a clash. If you had Nero etc installed you will be surprised how many obsolete files of such programs are cluttering your registries. Maybe send e-mail to 321 Sudios for assistance.Also try different process to ascertain if you land up with same problem per one of my previous postings. DVD Decrypter. Dvd2One. Copy to DVD. It always work for me.

9. R_Regan

R_Regan Guest

xtrail

Thanks, I will try JV16.org

10. R_Regan

R_Regan Guest

Ok, I used jv16 power tools, cleaned my registry and files completely. I updated windows, ran Sony Drivecheck, downloaded Ad Aware and scanned for spyware and a few other tweaks I don't remember off hand. I burned 2 movies and 3 coasters.

Here's what I know so far, when Xpress is writing to the dvd and there is less than 50% before the process is finished, somewhere between 50% and 60% of completion Xpress (or the burner) ejects the dvd and xpress says "success burn." When I used Sonys' drivechecker the dvd had only been written up to the same point as when burning coasters in Xpress....hmmmm. Also, Drivecheck said "read and write" passed successfully. I would be greatful if a moderator would jump in. Thanks,

President, Coaster R Us

11. kamich

kamich Member

Anyone have or want to sell me burnt copies of PS2 games? I have messiah chip installed.
    kamich@act-solutions.com

12. dnet48

dnet48 Member

if you have nero 5 or 6, check out this site at
    www.dvd-replica.com

they have a demo which does the exact copy of the original DVD. Maybe a nice alternate to DvdXcopy.

13. 808smokey

808smokey Member

How bout DVD+RW's Test burn and see if it works in the stand alone???

14. R_Regan

R_Regan Guest

dnet48, 808smokey
    Thanks, I will try each suggestion (nothing to lose)

I tried a different brand DVD last night before work and it worked. I going for successful burn number 2 as we speak. Also, I burned (different brand) a DVD RW successfully. (I jumped right in to this DVD thing thinking it wouldn't be much different than burning CD's, VCD's, etc...) WRONG, I couldn't get the RW to play in my DVD player or in the burner. My problem is I don't know what format it was burned in because Xpress don't allow many options prior to burning. I don't know a thing about Xcopy but I do know I need to slow down and learn each process. I think I paniced because I bought a spindle (100) of DVD-R and half of the ones used are coasters. With the help of this forum I'm sure I will be burning less and less coasters, THANKS!

15. R_Regan

R_Regan Guest

I update my burners' firmware, waiting to see if it matters.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2003
  16. 808smokey

808smokey Member

17. R_Regan

R_Regan Guest

PROBLEM SOLVED:

First, thanks to everyone and their advice/suggestions!

I've never been inside the case of a computer until I bought this dvd burner (never wanted to upgrade, mostly, I kept a computer as long as possible and replace it, not upgrade it).

I replaced my CD burner with the DVD burner. I have 2 hard drives and 2 optical drives. The optical drives, jumper settings were set to "CS" (what ever that means).

When I replaced the CD burner, I set the jumper setting on the DVD burner the same as the CD burner. I didn't notice or pay attention to the cable markings (master & slave) the first time.

After 2 weeks of burning coasters and try every tip listed on Sony's, DVDXcopy's, XP's, and everybody else's web page, I went back in to my case to check the jumper setting on the DVD burner and I noticed the markings on the cable. I switched the burner to master and didn't check the other drive (DVD player).

After another week of burning coasters and troubleshooting. A friend suggested I return the burner. I did and the price had went down $50, I got a new burner and refunded $50.

I went in to my computer for the 3rd time, this time I checked the DVD player (jumper was set to "CS") and set the jumper to slave and the new DVD burner to master. As of Yesterday, I have burner 12 successful movies....who knew!!

Either the jumper settings and/or the burner was the problem. At any rate, I'm a lucky fool. Thanks everyone!!!