1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDXCopy-useless, what can I use now?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rodeh7, Jan 31, 2005.

1. brobear

brobear Guest

I read the same post and noted Pulsar doesn't recommend buying XCopy. I also, said it would be a bad buy. But for those who have the program, it is still usable for DVD5. Anyone who uses Shrink can't knock XCopy, because they both need DVD Decrypter and/or AnyDVD or a similar ripper for the newer movies with encryption like the Sony ARccOS. Shrink has the advantage of being free and works with DVDR9 as well as the DVD5 media. It doesn't matter if 321 has been out of business for about 18 months or Shrink hasn't been updated in about 7 months, the newer encryption systems have come along following Shrink's last update. Many of the new recording/transcoding programs don't even come with a ripper. So, this senior says if you have it, no problem using it. [bold]Just don't make a blunder and buy XCopy because it is ridiculously overpriced, has little or no support, and becomes more outdated everyday because there is no longer any continued R&D.[/bold]

2. brochini

brochini Member

Recently I created a new thread but it didn't get published at DVDXCOPY/afterdawn forum about expressing my honest opinion on DVDXCOPY/PLATINUM version. It's a thorough opinion that such product should be banned and quit being advertised or sold because they were just left-over inventories. I totally agree with SCUBAPETE. Stop luring people to buy DVDXCCOPY/PLATINUM. It's dead and a piece of garbage. I discard my own copy bought from 321Studio because it is very outdated and unsupported. The new owner DvdXcopy-International are mere salesmen who won't stop ripping off new and innocent buyers. Unluckily, the moderator caught my intended thread, didn't publish it which resulted to more people getting victimized to buy this now lousy product. I presume this mod is being commisioned by the new owner or just want to keep his mod job...to bad, my advice to him was, DON'T PRACTICE 'EYES WIDE SHUT'. Help people instead.. this is the main reason why we have forums.

3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

"removed"

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  4. brobear

brobear Guest

brochini
    You can agree with Pete as you will. Just one question though. [bold]Who was luring or endorsing the purchase of XCopy in this thread?[/bold] It would have been a nice speech had you reason to give it. So you hate XCopy... join the club. There are people who own XCopy, still use it, and like it. Others like myself could really care less and have moved on to better programs. I believe I gave the middle of the road, common sense, view on the program; "one may as well use XCopy if they already own it and it's been working for them, but don't run out and buy it." Guess you missed what Pulsar and I both said, we don't endorse the purchase of XCopy.

I can see why the mod on the XCopy forum pulled your post. It borders more on a rant than an evaluation and XCopy supports that forum. Instead of yelling garbage, you can take a hint from my previous post.

5. PvtJoker

PvtJoker Regular member

OK I have a question about DVDXCopy vrs. DVD Shrink.
    I backed up 2 of my DVD's using DVDXCopy, great backups except it forced them to widescreen instead of fullscreen. (Yes the param was set correctly).

So I decided to back up my copy of Troy with DVDShrink instead of DVDXCopy. Horrible copy with DVDShrink. My player won't even play the DVD. Why is this? I followed the instructions that were posted. When I go to run the disk it loads, then pauses then resumes, the pauses, etc.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

My impression was that XCopy recorded what was there. I own XCopy and when I record a movie, it just duplicates what is there, wide or full. Maybe I missed a setting somewhere. However, I went over most of the user guide in the Program folder. I've known of situations when there was 2 versions of the same movie on a disc and the program picked up the wrong version in Xpress. I always selected the version I wanted in Advanced and recorded from there. The viewer would show which version was wide or full.

I'm not taking up for Shrink, but it sounds like you went wrong somewhere. Shrink normally does a decent job. For large movies one uses Analysis and checks the quality settings. It takes a bit longer but improves the quality. If the compression isn't very high, the settings are a waste of time. Good virtual guides are at http://www.dvdshrink.info and http://www.doom9.org has more comprehensive guides. It may pay to review those and see if there is something you missed.

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Brobear, on DVDxCopy platinum it did give you a choice of default for regular or widescreen.

I'll look it up and see where that default was and post it back here.

[​IMG]

Had it before but forgot to remove a couple of things, like my name, etc. LOL

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  8. brobear

brobear Guest

Scuba Bud
    I know the Video Format selection is there, but on a widescreen movie, would it reformat the movie to a fullscreen version or vice versa? I never knew of the program having that ability. (I got the feeling Pvtjoker was expecting the selection he made irregardless of the disc having both versions or not. Maybe I misunderstood the problem.) It may have made a difference on a disc with both versions, but there a person would have to be sure to leave the Entire Disc box unchecked. As I mentioned, I made sure I got the right version in situations where I had both by doing the backup in advanced. Most often when I used XCopy, I used the advanced section.

Of the hundreds of DVDs I've watched, only a handful had the option for both wide and fullscreen on the same disc. So, most of the time, it wouldn't make a difference where the Video Format was set.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2005
  9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Brobear

You were correct...

The answer is [bold]"NO"[/bold]. I wasn't sure so I burned Jurassic Park III which is a one sided Widescreen only Movie. With the default setting in DVDxCopy Express/Simple to Full Screen, [bold]it still burned it to Widescreen[/bold].

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
  10. chatcat2u

chatcat2u Member

This site is the best site on the net.
    I've been reading on some problems some of you guys were having with your dvd x copy platinum and i'm unfortunately having the same. i spent $149.99 almost when i came out and now it's usless. by reading just some of your topics on this area i've seen the light.
    i was joined on to this sit called dvdhelp.us and put countless postings for help no-one new anything you guys are the best. keep on doing the great job you guys do ( educating the newbies like me ) thanks again.

11. chatcat2u

chatcat2u Member

How are you guys? Newbie Johnny here again to ask a question. I bought dvd x copy platinum about a year ago, had a great time with the ease of using it but now it doesn't work on most of my dvd backups. i know from reading your great site and great professional advise that I have to again buy a new software. i have dvd shrink also dvd dycryptor and nero 6 ultra. do I know how to use any of it ( hell no ) that's why i'm a newbie. I've used dvd shrink before but i've gotten pixel problems and slowing of the movie ( like in slow motion ) so i went back to dvd x copy plat. Of course now i can't use it can any of you be kind enough to help me to burn a movie using the software i have please. And if i need something else like any dvd can someone help me with with this info. thanks again.

12. brobear

brobear Guest

chatcat2u
    New recording apps don't have the rippers incorporated. So, you need a decrypter such as AnyDVD and/or DVD Decrypter or the like. Older programs that have a ripper included, can't break the newer encryption systems. So, Shrink and XCopy both benefit by updated rippers like DVD Decrypter and AnyDVD with some of the newer movies. Even with large movies, Shrink does well if you use deep analysis and the quality settings. If done properly, it would take a really huge file to cause pixelation due to compression with DVD Shrink. The later versions of XCopy have a good user guide in the Start > Programs folder. It opens with the free Adobe Reader, it's in PDF format. So, [bold]what program are you wanting to use?[/bold] You mentioned having more than one.

There are useful Shrink guides at http://www.dvdshrink.info , they're handy quick start guides. More comprehensive guides can be found at http://www.doom9.org . Some of the newer functions of the latest Shrink version 3.2 haven't been included in the guides yet. The program functions like the previous ones with some improvements. The deep analysis with the quality settings in Backup are among the improvements. You can find a lot of useful info on the forum and there is a Shrink section here at AD.

13. PvtJoker

PvtJoker Regular member

I too have been having issues with DVD Shrink. I tried backing up Troy. I was running AnyDVD in the background and I still had pixel issues as well as slow video.

14. chatcat2u

chatcat2u Member

hey brobear just wanted to say thank you. you explained how to fix my problem with very little effort on my part.I downloaded AnyDVD and ran it in the background with dvdshrinh to copy and ( WALLA ) "MAGICAL WORD" MY COPY WORKED FINE. Thanks again for the great advise. I've found a new homepage

15. mybarras

mybarras Member

i use dvd x copy platinum with dvd43 and no probs backs up res evil2 little black book grudge no probs all u have to do is use 4x discs no faster hope this helps???????

16. brobear

brobear Guest

mybarras
    You made some interesting claims for DVD43. I noticed they finally got around to updating that program a few days ago. DVD Decrypter and AnyDVD had the necessary updates weeks ago and Fengtao had the Region Free updated not too long afterwards. DVD43 only claims better unreadable sector management and says it will handle most encryption systems. DVD Decrypter is free and that is a better app and kept updated much faster than DVD43. AnyDVD is retail, as is Region Free. I'll stick with the AnyDVD because it it kept up to date and when a new system comes along, I don't have to wait for weeks or months (possibly forever), to get the update to break the new encryption.

DVD43 caused problems on my system. I hear that is a rarity, but it still happens. Taking into account it will interfere with system operation, isn't as reliable as AnyDVD, and is not consistently kept up to date; I think I'll just hang with the AnyDVD and/or DVD Decrypter. For those wanting to take a chance on this freebie, DVD43, the link is http://www.d v d 43.com (no spaces). The freeware is not the same as the retail item listed here on AD.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

PvtJoker
    Did you use the deep analysis and quality settings when you got the pixel problem with Shrink? I've used the last version with good results and beta testing proved it wasn't prone to pixelation.

18. brobear

brobear Guest

chatcat2u
    You're welcome. I'm glad to see there are still some easy solutions.

19. PvtJoker

PvtJoker Regular member

brobear,

No I did not. I did another backup with deep analysis and I made a pefect copy, however it 2 hours and 40 minutes for the entire process to complete.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

PvtJoker
    That's the two faces of DVD Shrink. For smaller movies one can use it without quality settings and do the task relatively fast. Then for higher compression tasks one uses the quality settings. It takes some practice, but by noting the compression levels, you can start to figure out the best level to start using the quality settings.