1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDXCopy-useless, what can I use now?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rodeh7, Jan 31, 2005.

1. daver415

daver415 Guest

i wish burnin dvds was as easy as burning cdr's. haha. but anyways i have a question.

why is it that i burned harold and kumar go to white castle with DVD X COPY XPRESS and it was successful. i then put it in my sony dvd player and it doesnt work. but i play it in my xbox and it works fine. what's the problem here? could it be the dvd player?

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Format compatibility. Some standalone players won't play recorded media. Others may play only + or -R and some play both. The newer players play even more, you can play the DVD RW and CDs.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

daver415,

I have a friend of mine who has an $800.00 Sony DVD player and it won't play anything unless it's a -R disc with a max writing speed of 4X.

As Bear said, it's compatibility BUT even more than that - When our burners get a bit out of date (like when new discs come out) we can do a Firmware "Flash" upgrade. There's no way to upgrade our standalone players.

I have a Cyber-Home player ($39.99 at your local cheapo electronics store) and it will play a mushroom Pizza iffin' the cheese isn't too thick. There's nothing it won't play, it's the way to go -

Buy the crumbiest thing you can find and all will live in happiness and bliss -

Believe it or not, it's not the disc :)

Ciao,

Pete

4. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I agree I own a 400.00 Panasonic DVD-R that loathes dvdxcopy backups made on Verbatim disks, but my cheapo apex and cyberhome love everything and play everything

5. PvtJoker

PvtJoker Regular member

I am trying to backup several small movies of mine and combine them to one DVD. I used DVDShrink to pull the video off and saved it to my hard drive. It created 130 files. (I still have more to pull off) If I use NERO to create my destination DVD how can I accomplish this task?

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

PvtJoker,

Try using Recode2 in the "Remake a DVD" Mode. Use the last part of the guide that's entitled "DVDD and Recode2" in my sig. You'll be able to pickup each file and drag it over to the left-hand side of the window, edit it and go get another file. The size bar at the bottom will help you decide when a disc will be full.

It will be fun - :)

Cheers,

Pete

7. daver415

daver415 Guest

its pretty funny though. mainly because any other dvd works fine after i burn it onto DVD-R. my dvd player is a sony. but with harold and kumar, it goes to the menu and then when i play the movie, it skips through every chapter of the movie. oh well, as long as i get to watch it on something, i'm fine with that.

is there any other way to copy THE FORGOTTEN or RESIDENT EVIL 2. or any other encrypted movie? I HAVE ANYDVD running in the background and im burning dvds with xcopy xpress and sometimes platinum. is there any other way to bypass encryption? thanks in advance.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

daver415,

You are using the best. AnyDVD can break them all. DVDD can rip all but the Settec ALPHADVD encryption and the MacroVision's RipGuard hasn't been released yet to my knowledge. As for other options, check out "Problem DVD's and ARccOS" listed in my sig.

I think that will help,

Let me know if I've missed anything ~

Pete

9. daver415

daver415 Guest

ok that's it. i'm tired of dvdxcopy. i mean, in my opinion, i think it's a good program because to me its easy to use. for the third time i cant copy RE2 or The Forgotten. and i have AnyDVD running in the background. other than that, i'll use dvdxcopy for movies that can be recorded without problems. i'm going back to dvd decryptor and i'm about d/l dvd shrink. i guess since most of you guys use that method.

scubapete, i checked out your page, it's pretty useful. i'll be making more visits for any more problems. thanks.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

daver415
    Don't feel alone. Some of the newer and better backup software has a problem with RE2. DVDCopy3 on my PC wouldn't back up that one. For some reason it would only burn the menus and extras and kick out of the burn. Without trying to find why, I used another app to record it. I knew there was bogus info in the structure due to the encryption system and that was enough. Shrink can correct some minor structural problems, so it is sometimes a good program to use for troublesome DVDs.

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

daver415,

As I mentioned,

If you had checked out that single section, all of the successful methods of backing up RE2 were there. If you use any of them (as it seem that AnyDVD isn't working for you) they all work THEN browse using your XCopy and you'll be back in business.

"P"

12. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Daver415, I ran RE Apocalypse through decrypter, then when it had done that I opened up Platinum, used browse facility in platinum, located the file. I then proceeded to burn. It stopped after 54%, then finalized. I thought I would have a dud, but it worked OK. I now have the film in my Alcohol file system. I also use AnyDvd & DVD43.

This movie has created quite a stir in this forum!

Pulsar

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Seems a stir pops up every time there is some change in encryptions. That's the sport around here it seems. However, instead of using the search function, all the "beginners" seem to start a new thread. For movie problems, there should be a heading for each movie that is problematic and then the posts could be added according to the particular software in question. I doubt we'll ever get anything that orderly though.

I consider AnyDVD a must now that I have it. I still use the DVD Decrypter as well. [bold]As long as I keep the AnyDVD and Decrypter updated, I don't have any encryption problems.[/bold] With AnyDVD there is no need for DVD43, which I had a problem with. (Some hardware-software configurations with DVD43 causes the Windows System 32 folder to mysteriously open on startup.)

14. daver415

daver415 Guest

I'm not too sure my "BROWSE" button works on platinum. when i open up platinum with and without a dvd in the drive the "BROWSE" button is greyed out. that's what i was gonna try to do. use decrypter then browse with platinum.

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I think the browse facility was only available on the RF version of Platinum.

16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

thats correct the browse verison is only the RF . which would be DVD X COPY Platinum 4.0 4.15 verison.

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

My "Bad" ~

I forget that I had the RF - since I've used the 321RIP it just slipped my mind.

Well the other option is use a different proggy -

Like Bear said - DVDD works just fine with DVD Shrink -

Find a guide for them with complete instructions, no intelligence required ~ right there in my sig.

Cheers,

Pete

18. daver415

daver415 Guest

yeah i'm in business now. i just used dvd shrink then decrypter. i printed out the guidelines from your site scubapete. thanks. i also had anydvd running in the background and i didnt see no little guy in shorts running around in the preview screen. so i guess it had something to do with anydvd. i finally made perfect copies of re2 and forgotten.

19. brobear

brobear Guest

Yes, the AnyDVD had a lot to do with it. Shrink wouldn't have handled the encryption alone. Also, Shrink corrected the bogus IFO structure from the structural encryption on RE2.

I tried RE2 a couple of different ways and noticed a bit of what was happening. I used AnyDVD (no big deal, it runs automatically) and ripped the files to the HD with Shrink (no compression) and then transcoded and burned with DVDCopy3. If not better, at least it's faster than using the quality settings with Shrink. Even with AnyDVD, DVDCopy3 wouldn't record RE2 on my system. However it would once it was ripped with AnyDVD and Shrink. I kept the entire contents of the disk (full and widescreen versions) backing up with DVDCopy3 and the video quality is excellent.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

On the matter of the Browse in DVDXCopy Platinum in order to use DVD Decrypter, Pulsar was right, the only version where the Browse worked was the RF version 4.0.4.15. Version 4.0.3.8 was the last ripper version and Browse was not functional. But as Pete pointed out, one of the PsiDOC patches will mend the Browse and also eliminate the 321 Backup warning and nuisance windows that do the questions. A patched version of XCopy doesn't require as many of those button clicks that are often mentioned in some comparisons. The patches for XCopy can be found at http://www.dvdripforums.co.uk .