1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDXCOPY vs current methods

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by booker, Nov 14, 2002.

1. booker

booker Member

I've spent the last couple of days looking over this and a few other forums. It looks like the current method to backup a DVD takes several to many hours. 321's new product is suppose to be fast.

Would you pay the $99 DVDXCOPY cost to cut down on the time it takes to back up?

One caveat...DVDXCOPY's own FAQ page indicates it burns an identification code on to the DVD backup. This is fine for me, but If I ever let anyone else use my computer to backup their own DVD's it's going to look like I'm a pirate. Thoughts!!!?

2. RishardC

RishardC Member

The only difference speed wise between this and IfoEdit is probably a few extra clicks, plus the need of a burning program. If you are lazy then the 99 bux isn't too bad. If you are cheap and don't mind working just a tad bit more then why bother. I guess it comes down to personal preference. Personally I don't like splitting movies over 2 DVDs so I wouldn't use either.

3. Bez002

Bez002 Guest

Then what do you use to backup your files and DVDs

4. Gizboy

Gizboy Member

I use Dvd x copy,with my sony dru500a,it works \great, ok so it burns to 2 dvds,so what no problem for me,but i can use all track stuff and extra suff just like the real dvd,takes about an hour,and i can still use my pc to get on with my work while it burns and does its stuff.

Go Buy it,It Works Very Well

Last edited: Nov 22, 2002
  5. MrFixit

MrFixit Member

For those of you who know a lot about DVDXCOPY, tell me more about its features. I've been backing up my DVDs and when I heard that this program lets you KEEP trailers, behind-the-scenes, and special features, was interested. (Im a dork for those kind of things)
    Is there anyway it can do this without having to burn on TWO DVDS? If I have to buy 2 dvds to back up one movie, I'm spending about 10 bucks to back it up. I might as well just buy the original!

Can you explain what DVDXCOPY does to back-up dvds? It burns an identification code on it? How is this a bad thing?

I WISH there was a program that can produce a back up of a DVD with special features and all. (I dont mind if the back up doesnt have multi language, subtitles, or dolby digital)

6. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Because of how DVDs are stored -- they can be either dual-layer discs with upto 8.5GB of data or single-layer discs with upto 4.38GB of data -- the perfect copies of dual-layer discs (DVD-9) can't be copied directly to one recordable DVD-R/+R/-RW/+RW, since those are only single-layer discs. Dual-layer recordable discs are impossible to create and therefor don't hold your breath.

Currently the original DVD movies are split about 60% DVD-9s and 40% DVD-5s. DVD-5s can be backed up directly to DVD-Rs, we have a guide for this in our article section, please read it from there.

There are several methods for backing up DVD-9 discs to DVD-Rs, here they are:

-if you wish to copy only the movie part of the disc and don't care about extra features, documentaries, additional audio tracks and extra subtitles, about half of the existing DVD-9s fit to one DVD-R by doing this. And for this, the method is to use IFOEdit.

-if you wish to maintain _everything_ in the disc as they are without compromising the quality, only way is to split the movie to two DVD-Rs -- DVDXCopy and IFOEdit can both do this, DVDXCopy just does it with less learning curve.

-if the main movie is in itself more than 4.36GB (quite often the case nowadays), only way how you can fit it into one DVD-R is to re-encode and therefor lower the quality of the video. Tools that can be used for this include TMPGEnc ($48), CCE ($1995) and ReMPEG2 (free, but has problems with ABR) used together with various tools, including IFOEdit and IFOUpdate.

7. dRD

And this discussion doesn't belong to DVD Ripping forum, but into DVD-R forum instead.

*moved now*

8. stagfish

stagfish Guest

hey gizboy is it verysimple to use ??? id pay if its simple!!!! ive got sony rx753 with pioneer dvd-r???please help im despreate!!!
    stagfish

9. dRD