1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDXtreme, BurnXpress?

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by RDrr, Sep 6, 2004.

1. RDrr

RDrr Member

Ok... I have both DVDXCopy Platinum and DVDXtreme. Recently purchased, installed, and activated Xtreme, but of the components included, only BurnXpress "requires our latest upgrade."

So... anyone know if BurnXpress is still upgradable, work-aroundable? Or explicitly time to skip it?

It says it is used to 'Create or copy CDs and DVDs with this powerful burn engine.', which is different from the included DVDXCopy Xpress RF, used to backup DVDs...

I know there are alternatives, I would just like to make this component program work, if possible.

Thanks,
    RD

P.S. If I've posted in the wrong place, please indicate the right place, before summarily dismissing the post (another poster of this question was closed, not me).

2. RDrr

RDrr Member

Ok, so I read the forum header DVDXCopy message wrong... it said "post questions in this forum".... (and then there's a link to click, which I didn't, sigh). And there are ongoing threads here with DVDXCopy in the title... hmmm. Now I can't seem to find how to edit my post, if that's possible anyway. Be gentle... it says 'newbie' under my name. New to posting here anyway. Duh...

Although ya know... they don't have a specific Xtreme forum. Oh well.

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I've been seeing this issue come up alot, can't remember if a solution has been found. If you can login, you may be able to get v1.0.4 from here:
    http://www.321studios.com/support.asp

And if you think it's worth it, call support in Ireland (the country) <- sorry have to say that, our XCopy Cheif MOD is Ireland :)
    Europe
    Technical Support & Software Activation
    Phone: +353-61-702078 (Ireland)*
    Time: 8:30-17:30 GMT (17:00 Friday)
    *English, Deutsch, Français, Española, Portuguese

For future XCopy questions, please post in aD's XCopy Forum:
    http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz
    1.5 GB RDRAM, 700GB HD
    NEC 2510A, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM
    XP Pro SP2, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro[/small]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  4. RDrr

RDrr Member

Thanks for the kind response ;)...

Well, I went to 321's download section and pulled down what purports to be version 1.0.4.30... (all 130+MB of it)...installed it, and see no change in BurnXpress. In fact, DVDXtreme itself still reports version 1.0.0. (If you right click on the upper console, you can get the sysmenu where it lists "About DVDXTREME".)

I may try reinstalling the update/upgrade... not ready for that Irish call yet, laddie ;), thanks for the info... it finally dawned (ooops) on me that there must be a poster named Ireland.

5. RDrr

RDrr Member

P.S.

I sent an email about this situation to "eurosupport@dvdxcopy.com" (an address that I found for dvdxcopy.com.uk support, I think)... asking if there was an upgrade or work-around. I got this reply from Stephen Fitzpatrick at "pie.ie" ("Partners In Europe"... I assume .ie is the Irish domain):
    ------
    If your version is requesting an upgrade then you will need to do this in order to avail of BurnXpress.

Unfortunately at the moment there are no upgrades available from our website.

http://www.dvdxcopy.co.uk/
    -------

Guess I can continue to play with the 130mb Xtreme 1.0.4.30 download from 321's 'online customer service'...
    https://secure.321studios.com/solo/customers
    ...to see if it will really fully install. Oh well...

6. flip218

You need to install the old version first
    1.04.18 ?? <- is that the version that came on the disk? If not don't worry, you just need to install an older version.

Then install the new version:

You need to download it from here:
    http://www.321studios.com/common/customer_login.asp
    the true download is 130mb.

Sound like you already have it :) Good luck, post your results.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz
    1.5 GB RDRAM, 700GB HD
    NEC 2510A, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM
    XP Pro SP2, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro[/small]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  7. RDrr

RDrr Member

[bold]ROLL BACK YOUR SYSTEM CLOCK[/bold]... to prevent BURNXPRESS prompting for an 'upgrade'. It will run fine if your system date is before August 30, 2004.

'Security' enlightened me, and I tested the date further... I found that BurnXpress demands that you 'upgrade' after August 29th, 2004.

I already had my 'old'?? version installed when I loaded the 1.0.4.30 download over top of it... neither of us fixed BurnXpress's complaint that way.

So, if you set your system clock back to Aug. 29, 2004 or before... BurnXpress doesn't complain, and will start up and run.... (although I haven't actually burned anything with that component yet).

Strange time-bomb... also coincident with the deadline that 321 set for creditors to submit invoices.

8. Ericg5

Ericg5 Member

I can confirm the same thing as above. I too installed the latest XTREME file over the top of the old and still could not get XBURN to function with a date after AUG 30, 2004.

There has to be a hack to fix this issue. This is a challange to an expert out there.

9. flip218

If indeed there is ... it will not be discussed here.

10. RDrr

RDrr Member

Hmmm. Not to be argumentative, but that last (post) seems odd... a 'mod' to restore ripper functionality to Xreme RF is discussed within these forums, but you don't want us to talk about fixing what seems to be an obvious bug? I'm sure the date problem is just that, a glitch and not an intended sunset provision... especially since it's so easily manually circumventable, by just changing the PC date. No one seriously programs that way to terminate usage... as that's one of the very first things users will try (regressing date) to re-enable a product... especially one bought and paid for. It would be a "fix" and not a 'hack', to enable use of a product we've purchased, that is now unsupported.... and it's not even the disputed piracy component, but... it's your forum.

However... I would like to suggest that anyone creating a simple script, or whatever, to save/set the PC date back and start BurnXpress, then reset the date after exiting BurnXpress... would -not- be 'hacking', and thus that should be tolerable within forum.

It's a matter of convenience, not piracy, but y'all can split that hair... I've got functionality, so I'm done.

11. flip218

RDrr,

You solved your own arguement ... when you said this

I agree a fix/patch would be fine. It was a bad choice in words :)

12. RDrr

RDrr Member

Aha... just 'riding herd' on the newbies ;)... ok.

13. flip218

Burn Xpress ... I've got the patch. Send me your e-mail address in a PM.

14. tweety25

tweety25 Guest

How long does it take to get a response from you flip218 after PM you? I would like to get my software up and runing again asap. thank you again.

15. flip218

It depends ... on what day it is. Monday-Friday I have a regular job and don't get home till 5:00 pm P.S.T.

Have a little patience, we are all here on our free time :)

Just sent it BTW.

16. DaddyD

DaddyD Member

Hello flip218

September 2004 @ 01:39 Burn Xpress ... I've got the patch. Send me your e-mail address in a PM.

I PMed you with my email address. Any chance I can get the BurnXpress patch also.

Thanks