1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvix conversion problem: way to big

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by pickle122, Apr 7, 2005.

1. pickle122

pickle122 Member

Hi, i know this has to be covered in a few palces, but I can't find it. I have a bunch of divx videos that I want to burn to dvd. The problem is my dvd player doesn't play divx videos (hail to re-writeable disks: saves lots of money when you have no idea what you're doing!). Anyways, after I found that out I went and got Cucusoft to convert the videos.

Now to the question: why is it that I could fit 13 divx videos on a DVD, but after converting I could only fit 3 vob videos with comparable quality (if I use the same bitrate on the output file as the input file uses, the quality goes to crap. I actually have to set it 4-5 times more to get the same quality)

Yeah I know, compression somthing-or-another, but what can I do so I don't have to use 4-5 times the DVDs or go buy a new dvd player? Please forgive me if I'm not too keen on keeping upwards of 72 gigs sitting on my hardrive doing nothing. Besides, for decent quality it takes at least 4 hours conversion time to do 3 videos (all that can fit on a DVD), and I have 52 files to do. I would really prefer to keep this to 4 dvds, not 20.

thanks for the help.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Get tmpgenc, and use the KDVD Half D1 template to encode the videos.
    You can get up to 16 hours per dvdr.

3. pickle122

pickle122 Member

thanks, I don't have time to try it now, but I definately will.