1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR-105, shadow ring after burning 4X media

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by mgwhite, Jul 10, 2003.

1. mgwhite

mgwhite Guest

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone out there has a similar problem to me, I've searched the forum, but can't find anything relevant.

When I burn 4X media on my DVR-105, I often get a shaded ring around the centre of the burnt area. This sometimes stops the disc working and sometimes doesn't.

Most of the media I've used is Princo, but I've also tried Ritek with the same result (although the ring seemed less obvious.

If I burn at 2X the discs are all perfect.

My friends are burning the same discs, on the same drives, at 4X without problems. I have a XP2000 system with 256MB PC2700 ram, running winXP pro SP1.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

umm? sounds like the laser calibration is out?

its burning i mean actually burning the discs?

its trying to beam down out the pc and to the center of earth?

interseting let us know how it goes!

3. mgwhite

mgwhite Guest

Yes it's actually burning the discs OK, even past the shadow mark.

If I play the disc after burning and skip through the chapters, it will stick at, say, chapter 10 and the picture freezes.

If I do a search on the same disc and go straight to the last chapter, it plays. It's just the middle bit of the film that doesn't work, exactly where the shadow is.

I've tried firmware 1.21, 1.30, 1.33, all with the same problem. Pioneer say it's a media problem but I don't believe them.

Anyone else got any ideas?

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

umm interesting its like the laser is sticking and going slow in a certain place? oever burning the same area!

maybe the belt drive slack or slipping? or cog gears need lubricant? may have wore off!

i'll keep thinking!

as the drive is working but not in the middle sounds mechanical!_X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 1700 TBred [o/c 2004mhz = 12X167/33 = FSB-334mhz]
    A7V8X SATA150/RAID 2x80 gig [Bios 1012]
    HERCULES 3D PROPHET [9700 Pro]
    XMS Corsair Platinum pc3500 2x512 1024 meg
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2003
  5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

even the laser travel rails have dust and dirt and juddering from one end to other? slow is ok but fast catches judder?

thx

6. mgwhite

mgwhite Guest

You think it's definitely the drive at fault then?

It's still under warranty so I could send it back, but I'll probably never see it again!

THX

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

The rails on the DVR105 that the laser travels on, wouldnt allow it to go past a certain point of burning. Meaning it could not burn straight through to the surrounding case

8. batchy

batchy Guest

If your using Datawrite (Princo) 4x
    Try another make, a friend has a A05 with
    the problem of freezing up , 50-75% in to
    the movie.
    however i believe he has problems also
    at lower speeds with these discs.

9. Gamork

Gamork Member

I have a problem somewhat like yours. My 105 is wipeing out the media information area on DVD-RWs. It will record information on the DVD-RW the first time just fine (except the media information area is turned very dark and is no longer readable) I have tried numerous brands of DVD-RW with no improvement. It works fine on all DVD-Rs, CD-Rs & CDRWs. I'm still investigating. If anyone has any insight please let me know.

10. tipp98

tipp98 Member

yo gamork, i've had the same problem, same drive. the dvd-rw that came with my drive, that says Pioneer on it, did it. it kinda pissed me off. what software where you using, i think i was using roxio. it was one of the programs that came with the drive anyway.

11. Gamork

Gamork Member

tipp98,

I,ve been able to narrow my problem down to the drive. I borrowed the exact drive with the same firmware revision and it worked fine in my machine. Its still under warranty so now I'm trying to get Cendyne to replace it. So far they have not returned calls and their service web site won't allow emails. Has anyone had any luck with their service department?