1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR-108 Abysmal DVD sound quality CDs play fine

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by tenjah, Jan 13, 2005.

1. tenjah

tenjah Member

Hi all,

Newbie post here, I'll try and give as much info as I can. I'm at a loss as to what to try next Help!!!!

I installed a new Pioneer DVR108 and am having appalling sound quality issues when playing DVDs. The visuals are also choppier than I expected, but fade compared with the sound problems. Loud cracks and "speaker buzz" distortion in the extreme.

This problem occured in both PowerDVD and WinDVD so unlikely a software issue.

I'm runnning an Athlon 800 with 512 mb ram on a via chipset motherboard with a Geforce 2mx and a Phillips
    Acoustic edge soundcard.

Cables are all connected correctly.
    DMA mode is enabled.
    ALL unneccessary programs and processes are off.

I've tried lower screen res to no avail....

Does anyone have any idea how I can watch a movie as its supposed to be seen??!!! Please help!!!

2. tenjah

tenjah Member

anyone?

Thanks.

3. jri1947

jri1947 Member

My machine has a similar spec to yours - 800mhx Duron, 512mb RAM - and I have also had problems, mostly now solved.

Following notes are for W2k - I don't know what OS you have.

Video choppiness:

PowerDVD is no good - try this free open source DVD decoder/player:

http://www.videolan.org/

It has loads of options, plays all sorts of CD and DVD formats, and it has a normal Windows interface, not a stupid-looking replica 1950s radio interface like most player software has.

This plays the video fine on my machine, with CPU utilisation around 30-40%, but audio is slightly crackly/choppy.

I have read that connecting a cable from the audio output on the back of the DVD player to the sound card should solve this. I will try this next.

Hope this helps!

4. tenjah

tenjah Member

Hi, thanks for that, I used to use vlc before to play .avi files, its a very good player. This problem is driving me mad now. DVDs are unwatchable in any player. I think a return to dabs is in order. I've got an audio cable connecting the soundcard and have tried everything I can think of. What a disappointing start to pc dvd...!

5. wirednerd

wirednerd Member

Hi, I have the EXACT same problem on my PC

DVD's will not play properly in any player
    PowerDVD, VLC, etc.

Sound is really messed up

I have a P4 2.4Ghz
    Radeon 9600
    Sound Blaster Live

What makes this worse is that it worked before I got the sound blaster!!!!!
    Can't find a reason for this anywhere, the fact that DVD's played right on the on board sound but not with the sound blaster is insane. Anyone know why this could be happening?!?!?