1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR-108 Burning speed

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by hooshies, Dec 5, 2004.

1. hooshies

hooshies Member

I've been burning DVDs with my Pioneer DVR-108 for a while, using the same 8x DVD+R media. Today, it gave me an internal error during a write, and failed to write one DVD (which doesn't happen too often).

Anyways, I put in another 8x DVD+R disc (the same brand I always use) and now it won't let me burn faster than 4x! I flashed the drive to 1.14 again, and tried the disc, and still just 4x. It also won't let me burn my 12x media at 12x anymore, that media now only goes up to 8x.

Not sure what the problem is, and the flashing is successful.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Idle

Idle Member

If you're burning with Nero, try putting a blank in the drive and run Nero CD/DVD Speed on it.

You'll need to do that whenever you upgrade the firmware.

Worked with my new NEC 3500 -- might work for you.

3. hooshies

hooshies Member

Hey,

I tried what you said. Nero is very random. I am using the same set of DVD+R discs, and I put one in and run the test, and it says max write speed 4x, then I put another one in and it says max write speed 8x.

I'm not sure why its acting like this.

All these problems started when I had a write error a few days ago (before that, at least 300 burns with no coasters). Now I'm getting more and more coasters.

This is driving me crazy. Anyone, please help!

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Could be the media? Just becausse your using the same brand dosen't mean you recieved a good batch. A lot of manufacturers have been known to issue a bad batch every now and again. Nero also likes to get buggy sometimes you could uninstall Nero and reinstall it to see if this helps. Or get this stable and effective burning software. http://www.download.com/CopyToDVD/3000-2242_4-10342429.html its called Copy2DVD and it seems to work flawless.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  5. hooshies

hooshies Member

The problem started when I accidently tried to write to an 8x DVD+R at 16x (I didn't want to, just forgot to change the burn speed). The drive gave an internal error halfway though the burn, and now I'm getting more and more coasters.

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

That shouldnt have effected your drive. I burn media faster than it says the media can bur all the time. Are using a firmware from the manufacturer or are you using a hacked firmware? You even try an older version of the firmware to see if it might be the firmware that is causing the problem. Again it sounds more and more like media issue. What is the brand of media you are using?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.01GHz)
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600
    Burners Nec 2500A / Pioneer DVR 105

7. hooshies

hooshies Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your input. The drive seems to be working fine now...maybe it just needed a rest :)

Or maybe I hit a bad patch in my DVD discs.

In either case, I appreciate the help, and hope my drive keeps up the good work, I love the DVR-108.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Im glad it is working again :)

I guess you didn't want us to dog you out about the media hu? :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.01GHz)
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600
    Burners Nec 2500A / Pioneer DVR 105

9. gg2005

gg2005 Guest

I'm using pioneer 107 only 3 months old. I've burned over 150 discs using Nero @ 8x with no probs at all, and now I'm getting coasters all the time. I have started using a new type of disc BUT I've managed 50 of the same type with no prob at all and now even at single speed I'm getting fails all the time. It can't be the software cause I've tried it with other progs and get the same results. Could it really be a dodgy couple of boxes of discs??? I'm at pains to go and buy more discs if it's something other than that. The discs are Datawrite Red by the way (much cheapness I know).

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Run those disks through Disk Identifier or Nero info tool and see who they are manufactured by. You see they source out there manufacturing to 4 different Manufacturer's
    Princo - 50 to 80% success rate
    AN31 - 0 to 50% success rate
    Prodisc - 80 to 95% succsess rate
    RitekG03 - 80 to 95% success rate

So you see you are really taking a chance buying that brand, and you never really know which disk you are going to get..

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. gg2005

gg2005 Guest

Manufacturer ID is TYG02 whatever that means. I assume that this is the nastiest type on the market (£5 for 25).
    But I've got other dics of the same type out of the same box (I think) from the same manufacturer and didn't have a problem with them at 8x. All things seem to point to the writer being the problem. Is it a case of the more discs you burn the better they need to be cause the laser wares out????? Or am I just talking mince????? The shop I got the setup from has asked me to bring it in to let them have a look but I'm a busy guy and can't run to them with every prob I get. Also, is the type of writer they gave me any good? (Sorry for all the questions)

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Actually them disks are top of the line!!
    TYG02 is Taiyo Yuden very good manufacturer of disk's

Your burner is rated very high also.

It could be a few things.
    Is your writer set to DMA mode check in device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI devices

Try reloading your burning software

This is a big one update the firmware on your Drive here is a link http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,2076_4273_128163990,00.html This could very likely solve all your problems :) we hope

Could be the writer went bad, but I doubt it.

Could be a couple bad boxes of media doubt that too.

Could go back to your old disk's and see if your writer just dosent like the new ones, but that would be why you need to update your firmware

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  13. gg2005

gg2005 Guest

Still not working! Have done all of the above except reloading burning software, because it stops at the same point whether I use nero or DVDsanta so it can't be that...can it? Looks like a trip back to the shop with a metal box under my arm tomorrow!!!!

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

15. dorkeeNES

dorkeeNES Member

on a realated note...i use nero buning rom. is there a way to slow down my burner speed to 2X instead of the 4X it wants to use? i've tried to use settings in cdspeed but it still goes to 4X.

thanks.

16. CJC

CJC Regular member

It depends on the Media you are using, as to if it supports 2x writing, for Example Ritek G04's support 2x whereas the minimum G05's support is 4x....

What media are you using ?

Most 8x media, 4x is the minimum it can write to it at.

CJC

17. dopy

dopy Member

Guys,
    I have a new pioneer 108 as well. I updated the firmware to the latest manufacturer version (no hack). I just got back from best buy and bought TDK 8x dvd-r media. Nero will now allow me to select either 8x or 12x write, however, it still does not go any faster. It takes about 45 minutes to back up one of my home dvds. It says completed successfully at 12x but again, no quicker than my HP 300i at 2.4x writing.

I have a 2.4gig processor with 1gig of ram. Using Nero 6. I made a hard disk back up of the DVD using DVD cloner II. Then run nero express from there. Again, I have never had a coaster, just looking to improve my speed....

Any input is appreciated.

Dopy

18. CJC

CJC Regular member

Seems like your drive is stuck in PIO mode

Right Click My Computer, then left click Properties. Click on the Hardware tab then click Device Manager.
    Click on the plus next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
    Right click Primary IDE Channel then click Uninstall. Do the same with the Secondary IDE Channel. (dont restart yet)
    Now click on the plus next to DVD/CD-Rom Drives. Right click on the Drive and Uninstall, to all the drives there. (Dont restart yet)
    Once you have uninstalled the IDE Channels and Drives, now restart your comptuer and let windows install it for you.

CJC

19. dopy

dopy Member

Thanks for the tip,
    Before I do it and mess anything up...

Under the IDE details I only have Intel(R) 82801DB ultra ATA Storage Controller - - 24cb & Secondary IDE channel.

Should I uninstall the controller? Why isnt there a primary IDE channel? Will any of this make a difference?

Dopy

20. jolian

jolian Member

that's strange man i have a dvr-108 with 1.18 fw and i burn datawrite printables (TYG02 - still have to check if they are fake ones :eek:) perfectly. No flaws whatsoever and i burn one full disc in exactly 15 mins which is the ideal time at 4X. I also think it's a controller issue. You could also check with Nero CD/DVD Speed or DVDInfo to analyse your media's speed.