1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DW-U10A burning problems with Nera (any ver) and XP SP1

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by parp, Sep 18, 2003.

1. parp

parp Member

I bought a Sony DW-U10A drive and it arrived yesterday so I installed into my box (Primary IDE 1 with LiteOn CDRW on Secondary IDE 1, I have a CMD ATA100 card which runs my two HDDs, I also have a Creative Labs DVD-ROM on Secondary IDE 0). Anyway I'm running a "dubious" copy of XP Professional with SP1 (SP1 installed recently with help of some utilities). XP found the drive without a problem, Nero also found the drive (as did DVDecrypter et al). I also have Adaptec XP ASPI 4.60 installed.

As I was saying, I selected DVD-data DVD and selected some files to write to the DVD-R (Reitek x4 purple dye) and all looked to be going okay until it had finished cache-ing small files. Then the completed bar whizzed across to 100% and Nero hung. I looked in Task Manager and IMAPI.EXE was running. I tried killing nero.exe and imapi.exe but no luck. I had to hit the reset button (also no mmc.exe stuff would work, like services, event viewer).

So I rebooted and surfed around a bit (I had already downloaded the firmware updates to DRU-500a 1.0d and 2.0f) and tried disabling IMAPI.exe in the services tab (oh under device manager IDE/ATA is set to DMA mode 2 if I remember correctly). Tried it again, same thing.

I uninstalled Adaptec XP ASPI and tried again, still the same problem. I unstalled Nero 5.xxxx and installed Nero6.... same problem.

I flashed the drive and repeated all the steps still the same thing.

I believe it's down to IMAPI or something similar, but I've also read somewhere that changing it's transfer mode to PIO will work... I got fed up at 2am so went to bed...

Any ideas???? (I did a search through the forum messages for something similar but couldn't find anything). I can handle technical replies as I'm an IT Manager (used to be a tech, well still am to a certain degree).

PC Spec.
    Athlon 1.2Ghz
    512MB SDRAM 133 CL2
    CMD ATA100 controller.
    HDD1 Caviar 120GB with 8mb cache (ATA100).
    HDD2 Maxtor 27.4GB (ATA66).
    On board IDE
    Creative Labs x6 DVD-ROM (Primary IDE0)
    SONY DRU-500A 2.0f (Primary IDE1)
    LiteOn x32 CD-RW (Secondary IDE1)

OS. XP Sp1

Thanks in advance

Mike

2. parp

parp Member

Problem just about solved, it seems it was the PIO mode solution after all... But I also did a nero clear registry coz some old Nero 5.x stuff was still there. So not sure if that helped.

However, a 4.3GB burn just crapped out at 80% with a write error. Rietek Purple Dye x4 disc.

Gonna flash it back to a DW-U10A and see if that solves any problems.

(apologies for the heading, it should have read Nero not Nera, typo coz I work for company called Nera).

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Ritek X4 (dark purple dye) is probably not a problem cos it's good disc.

You definitely need to uninstall all Nero components before installing newer version(s) ; )

The ASPI Layer within Nero is all thats needed (check Nero Info Tool).

I'm running XP Pro (snide) w/out SP1 & all is well...

If I remember rightly DMA is On , thought there was only an option of on/off and not mode2 or anything...I could be wrong

I reckon it could be down to Primary/Secondary - Master/Slave settings ! ; ]

[bold]PC Spec: [/bold]
    Athlon 900mhz
    256 sdram (133)
    80+40Gb HDD's @7,200
    Pioneer DVD-RW DVR104
    Lite-On 165H DVD-Rom
    O/S WinXP Pro

Last edited: Sep 19, 2003
  4. parp

parp Member

I had uninstalled Nero, but obviously their uninstall routine is not as effective as it should be.

I don't understand why you think it's a master/slave issue. The sony is the master and a liteon ATA33 CDRW is slave.

I sucessfully wrote a 4.4GB (DVD) to a Atira(?) x2.4 speed DVR+R so I'll try doing another DVD-R Ritek purple at x2.4 and see if that improves things.

But thanks for replying.