1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E66 Error After Crackdown Update

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by sanger, May 16, 2007.

1. sanger

sanger Member

As stated, I have a Sammy MS25 drive that I recently flashed with Extreme 5.2. When I put Crackdown in to play it said I needed to update. Long story short, I get the E66 error now after updating. I still have the Orig.bin from my flash. And my drive is still recognized in my computer when I plug it in via SATA cable into my motherboard. I have been reading for two days the fix for this. However, I am still sticking when trying to flash. Will someone please take 2 minutes and list step by step for a noob? Thanks!

2. sanger

sanger Member

I just wanted to add a post script that I have taken time to resolve the problem and checked literally every page on her back through Oct and on the web. When I try to reflash, it sticks when I pick my drive.

3. scott2k7

scott2k7 Guest

does the dashboard load and u should never let the xbox 360 update when its flashed i think was u connected to live or???

4. sanger

sanger Member

No, the dashboard does not load - it just comes up with the Error 66 screen. I keep reading this is not a problem, all I have to do is reflash my drive, but I cannot get that process completed. It keeps hanging when I pick my drive. Is this cause likely from the drive not being unlocked? (I have 52b firmware)

5. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

mine did it one time but it didnt do it after that and i didnt flash back, but if you want you can PM me about fixing it.

6. sanger

sanger Member

No, the dashboard does not load - it just comes up with the Error 66 screen. I keep reading this is not a problem, all I have to do is reflash my drive, but I cannot get that process completed. It keeps hanging when I pick my drive. Is this cause likely from the drive not being unlocked? (I have 52b firmware)

7. Memnock

Memnock Active member

It sounds to me that when it was flashed to 5.2b it was set to report as MS28 and now it's acting like it's a MS28 when it isn't. MS28 is the default, but you can set it to MS25. 4.2 only reported drives as MS28 and that caused some E66 errors for MS25 users on 4.2 after the fall update. I downloaded the new Crackdown update on my MS28 with 5.2d and everything is fine. Try flashing it like it's MS28 and not M25, but make sure you make it report MS25. Here's how you flash a MS28. Also since you are flashing again anyway you may as well go up to 5.3.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/464269

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  8. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

before turning on 360 after selecting sata port wait ten seconds to turn it on trust me it will work if its acting like ms28.

9. sanger

sanger Member

Okay, I just looked and Schtrom is showing as a TS ms28, but I have a 25. So I must have flashed as a 28. Question - can I flash using my on-board SATA slots or do I need to buy the card? Thanks again for everyone's help.

10. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Sorry I had some typos in key areas that could've made things extremely confusing. I straightened all those out. The VIA cards are the best for MS28 drives. I can't say for sure, but you may need to buy one of the card mentioned in the guide. I already had one when I flashed my 1st MS28.

11. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

try but it might not work i think you might need to get the via 6421 card! but there is no harm in trying!

12. sanger

sanger Member

Thanks for all the help peeps! Is the best place to get a SATA card online or are there ones that will function at major chain retail stores? Thanks again!

13. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

online. DID YOU EVEN TRY WITHOUT IT?

14. sanger

sanger Member

Yes, I have been trying now for 2 days since I updated with Crackdown and got the E66. Everytime I go to try any flashing and pick my drive it just hangs on the port part. I have tried a myriad of methods including turning 360 off before choosing, turning off after choosing, plugging in cable before booting pc, plugging in after it gets to DOS. Is this problem not fixable? I really cannot find that many posts where people are unable to restore after the update gives the E66.

15. Memnock

Memnock Active member

I'm guessing your drive was flashable with your motherboard's SATA when it was MS25. Now that's it's a fake MS28 it'll have to be flashed using a VT6421 PCI SATA card, because that'll what you need to flash a MS28. Here's one of the most popular ones, because it's easy to use and cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124022

16. sanger

sanger Member

Hey thanks again. I will try this out and, hopefully it will work. If worse comes to worse, it is my understanding you can replace the drive if you have the drive key from your orig.bin?

17. sanger

sanger Member

In addition, I noticed it was mentioned before to make sure that my new fw is set back to ms25 if I get the card and am able to do it that way?

18. sanger

sanger Member

Also, thanks for the link - I went ahead and ordered the card due to the low price and 30 day return policy. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me!!

19. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Yes. When you make the new hacked firmware select option B for reporting as MS25.

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  20. sanger

sanger Member

One last question - rushed ordered my card so hopefully I will get it tomorrow - how would I know if my drive was unrecoverable. Like I said, it was still reading on my computer - dumped a game yesterday....but, just wanted to check - it is possible to exchange drives?