1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EAC and M4a

Discussion in 'Audio' started by diabolos, Apr 12, 2005.

1. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Is it possible to rip a CD to Mp4 (audio) using EAC? I know it can rip AAC files but I havin't found a way to rip .m4a/.mp4 files. So far I have had to rip .aac files and compress the waves using the [bold]PsyTEL AAC encoder[/bold] then convert the file to Mp4 using dMC. dBpwerAMP (dMC) has its own CLI that produces .mp4 files (after creating .aac files) automaticly. I am wondering if EAC has anything like this available for it.

I still love MPC but Mp4 is looking like the best alternative to Mp3!
    Ced

2. deepfried

deepfried Member

dont you mean m4a?

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Learn about (Mp4):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14

This one is easier to read:
    http://www.m4a.com/

Long story short:

.mp4 can be used to denote an audio only, video only, or audio/video file based on the MPEG-4 standard.

.m4a is used to denote files that contain only audio based on the MPEG-4 standard.

So there interchangable. Its just better style to label the audio files .m4a instead of .mp4.

I was hoping to confuse someone so that I could justify typing all of the above...j/k
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2005
  4. deepfried

deepfried Member

so you do mean m4a in a way then?, i mean m4a is basically mp4 audio so i guess thats what you would be trying to acheive.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yes, I want to be able to go from Wav (or CD) to .m4a using EAC. I can go from WAV (or CD) to .mp4 using dBpowerAMP. dMC also has a feature that with change all of the file extensions from .mp4 to a more appropriate .m4a automaticly. I just want to be able to do the same with EAC.

Currently the only way to rip MPEG-4 complient audio using EAC is to rip a WAVE then use the PsyTEL AAC encoder to compress the WAVE files. That process creates a "raw" .aac file. To make it usable I have to tag it and format it using dMC (its AAC to Mp4 plug-in).

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2005
  6. deepfried

deepfried Member

ive been using Poikosoft Easy CD-DA extractor a lot lately with good results. i usually rip to 192k mp3 cbr, but if your looking for a more exotic format it rips from cd to both mp4 and m4a in varying states so you could maybe try that out, should be able to get it of download.com, it sounds liek your going to a lot of hassle to get this to work in eac.

7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yea, dMC can do all of those thing (for free). I just wanted to know if EAC had some type of plug-in that would be easy to use aswell but it seems to not be the case. It looks like I'll have to use either dMC or iTunes (if I want a free solution). Thanks anyway. I'm glad someone was able to talk about the m4a format. I was getting a little worried that noone would reply.

Thankz again,
    Ced