1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EAC installation drama

Discussion in 'Audio' started by GBJ, Mar 4, 2005.

1. GBJ

GBJ Member

Hi,

I've been using EAC V9b4 and lame 3.9.0 drama free for a year or so on a machine running ME. However, I've just inherited a notebook and upon starting EAC get this message: 'Unhandled Exception EAC.Wnd.472 - > INDEX-RANGE' about 10 times before EAC closes.

FYI:
    XP SP2
    512RAM
    Celeron 800Mhz
    Toshiba XM-7002 CDR

I've tried clean installs of every version of EAC that is available and have used wnaspi32.dll from Nero. However, the unhandled exception message keeps appearing and shutting down EAC within half a second or so.

I've been downloading EAC onto CD on another machine (this one does not have an internet connection) and installing it from the CD onto the notebook. Could it be that the problem is arising due to the cdr drive? Would using another external drive or connecting the notebook to the internet and downloading EAC directly onto it solve the problem?

Thanks for any thoughts.

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Are you running the installer for EAC or the EAC.exe from your other PC? That would be the problem (if so). All ways run the installer app don't transfer folders and main executables to other PCs.

3. GBJ

GBJ Member

I've been running the installer on the notebook.

However, since i posted i read on http://eac.forgiven5.com/eacsetup.htm that I don't need run the installer and can just run the eac.exe file from the downloaded zip file.

Is it worth giving that a shot when I get back infront of the machine despite what you recommend?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah the "installer" file is a zip file, so just unzip it to and EAC folder under Program Files. The only installer I've seen for EAC is a zip file, where did you get the EAC.exe installer? My guess is that its not an installer file, and just the program file. So try using the zip file from EAC's website

edited 4 typo

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  5. scottws

scottws Member

Hello, I'm the author of the EAC guide linked above. I hope it is helpful. I realize that EAC is a bit complicated to set up (hence the guide) but at least it's easy to use once it is!

The past few versions of EAC have had no installer and were simply ZIP files, however version 9.0 beta 4 was in installer form.

It has been ages since an update, sometimes I wonder if Andre even works on the program anymore.

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah I've got the prebeta 3 version and I've had that for well over a year. It would be nice to see updates, but at the same time how much better can EAC get? The only thing that would be nice is perhaps some built in setup guide which you can then setup your drives, ripping, encoding, etc. much like your guide as well as the guide we have here at afterdawn. That would make it much easier for beginners, because I constantly hear people say things like "I'd rather stick with iTunes or CDex, EAC is too complicated." True the setup is complicated, but once its setup its as easy as CDex. So that would be my main recommendation, a setup wizard of some sort.

7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yea a built in guide would be logical but I think auto confiuration or a set up wizard would be best. Why can't the maker of EAC include the adapters and profiles the app needs? Also I would love to see the use of a configuration file that remmebers the user's settings for the various compression options (not just the creators settings).

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2005
  8. scottws

scottws Member

To diabolos: Andre probably can't include all the encoders due to licensing restrictions. Besides, while it would be awesome if EAC was used by everyone, it's important to note that it is definately an expert-user's/discriminating user's program. People in these groups don't want bloatware. I don't use MPC, AAC, Monkey's Audio, etc... why would I want EAC to come bundled with all those extra encoders and supporting files I will never use?

Also, the simple fact that EAC is so open to plug-in encoders is one of the things that makes EAC so aluring. You're not stuck with built-in encoders that go out of date and you're not forced to upgrade the encoder with the program (newer doesn't always mean better). It even accept pseudo-encoders like MAREO.

I'm unsure what you mean by the last comment. You can save profiles for different encoders (or different profiles for the same encoder) by pressing Shift+F2. You can then load profiles including all settings by pressing Shift+F1. It's certainly not perfect, but the feature does exist.

To djscoop: As for EAC getting better, I agree, it can't get much better. But the fact that it has been sitting at version 0.95 pre-beta 5 for a long time now is kind of strange to me. If Andre's done with it, he should do a few more bug fixes, maybe add a feature or two, and then just release it as 1.0. But you never know... I remember the inclusion of AccurateRip with v0.95 to be a big surprise, so maybe he has other surprises up his sleeve.

9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Thats cool I didn't know EAC could do that. I still want EAC to do it automaticly like other apps (ie dMC) though. Also I never said that EAC should come bunndled with all of the encoders. I know that would be a licensing nightmare. Not even dMC comes bundled with a free LAME based Mp3 encoder anymore.

I just didn't understand why I had to download all the adapter (there are only 4) files from Chris Myden's guide. Maybe there just trying to keep the download file small?

Ced