1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EAC Recommended Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Furball, May 28, 2003.

1. Furball

Furball Member

I've recently begun using EAC to rip audio. The results have been fantastic. However, I have question concerning whether I am getting the best results possible.

I have a PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W4824A & a TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1712. I used EAC's configuration wizard when I installed, and it recommended use of the Toshiba. I checked the capabilities of each drive via database and EAC detection and both agreed. The Plextor has Accurate Stream, Caching, and C2. The Toshiba has Accurate Stream and C2. I used the Toshiba for a while and seemed to get good results (the files sound great and the track quality indication provided by EAC were usually 100%). However, I recently started using the Plextor and it results in track quality indications of 100% about 99% of the time, which is better than I got with the Toshiba. Could the Plextor be a better choice than the Toshiba (which EAC recommended)? The only other difference between the performance of the drives is that the Plextor is a bit slower in ripping (although it is a 48/24/48 CD-RW versus the 16X Toshiba DVD-ROM). As far as configuration goes, I am using accurate stream selected on both and caching disabled (selected in EAC drive options) on the Plextor. Initially I was using the C2 capability on both, but I have since deselected C2 on both as I now understand that C2 isn't always trustworthy (if I am wrong about that, please enlighten me). Another related question I have is: How trustworthy/accurate are the track quality figures provided by EAC? How are they computed and/or what do they exactly mean? Thanks for any help with this.

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Most of your questions are covered by threads in EAC forum; I'd recommend a search there.
    http://www.digital-inn.de/forumdisplay.php?s=b96c2b41e0712d00e35f48114c327562&forumid=14

Some additional remarks:
    1. Have you considered using Plextools? It has been reported that it gives equal, sometimes even better results on Plextor drives. I'd let speed decide ...

2. Disabling caching is a good idea unless you know for sure that your drive doesn't use cache - but it's slower. To find out if the settings for your Toshiba drive are detected correctly you can rip some CDs (ideally in not-so-perfect condition) with cache enabled, but use Test&Copy. If CRCs match every time, it's safe to enable (=uncheck in EAC's options) cache.

3. If you don't trust your drives' C2 reporting capabilies (probably you're right about that) completely, you can use again Test&Copy + C2 enabled (and re-rip if CRCs are different). If CRCs are identical all the time, it's safe to use C2.

4. The quality figures just say on how much of the track secure mode's error correction kicked in. If it was successful "no errors occured" appears finally. This is the important message, not the percentage.

5. The most secure setting (with EAC) is the one you already use. You can use C2 or enable caching if the drive allows, but to get the same security, you should use Test & Copy, at least in the beginning.