1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ease of use for a Newbie

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sdvanover, Jan 19, 2005.

1. sdvanover

sdvanover Member

I am a newbie today and have spent several days reading through the incredibly significant guides and I am exactly where I started. A guy with a DVD burner and a bunch of movies on his computer and no idea how to put them on a DVD-R! Is there a simple guide somewhere on the great Cyberspace highway that will explain to me in, in mewbie terms, how I am to take the 2 part movies that I have downloaded from the internet and burn them on a DVD-R so that I can take them to my girlfriends house and watch them? All of the guides use terms and software, that I have no idea what they are or how to use them. Let me know so that I can start enjoying my movies on an actual television and not miniscule on my Desktop monitor. Extremely frustrated!

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

telling us what format your movies are in would help.

3. sdvanover

sdvanover Member

They are either in mpeg or AVI.

4. tater9104

tater9104 Guest

Download DVD Santa... www.dvdsanta.com

This is not freeware, but it does have a trial period. There might be free video converters, but this one is the best. If you are going to do much converting, buy the program. It is only 29 dollars. The file format that you are looking for is mpeg 2. However, if you use the Santa, you do not even have to work about that. You simply click create DVD, add the files, and the program will do the rest. Your final copy will not have a menu, but all files will be joined and have random chapters.

If you want to get fancier, use the Santa to Convert the files, but do not burn. Then use DVD Lab (look at the software section) and there you can take your vob files (do not demultiplex, use it directly without)and there you can create menus. This is the most user friendly program I have ever seen.

I understand your frustration, but this stuff does take patience. DVD building has gotten much better over the past years. I used to have to spend about 10 hours, just to convert files. Nowdays, it should only take you 30-40 minutes on a regular computer. Happy Burning...

5. sdvanover

sdvanover Member

Thank you for all of your help. I appreciate any suggestions that you have to make this easier. Also, I video a lot of events with my dogs and kids. I then transfer them via usb cable to my system. Is there a good software that I can use to put these in order with chpaters so I can make a full DVD with these? Thanks.

6. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

Check out the Digital Video Discussion area, you should be able to find the info you need.
    Good Luck,
    HW.

7. sdvanover

sdvanover Member

When I try to add media to the DVDSanta program, I get an "Insufficient Memory" error message. There is 130 gig open on my hard drive. What gives?

8. Bd_Blues

Bd_Blues Guest

Post Your Puter Specs I'm Thinking Its Random Access Memory (RAM) You Can Use Your Task Manager Or Something Like Adia To Help You Monitor Your System. You Can Also Try To Reset Virtual Memory However Windows Should Be Doing That For You. It Should Be 1 ½ Times Your Physical RAM

Just A Thought

Bd_Blues

9. sdvanover

sdvanover Member

Intel Celeron, 600mhz, 256 mb RAM, 10 Gig hard drive,160 gig hard drive, computer is handling Virtual memory which is set at "Let the computer monitor, Windows XP Home edition.