1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easiest to use subtitle app

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by ZippyDSM, Nov 4, 2009.

1. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Might be the wrong place to ask but I make occasional sub videos and am looking for a easy to use feature rich sub title app.

this one I made with windose movie maker
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_STGcmn3YE

I'd like to use prettier sub fonts maybe even add romain jp at the top.

2. NakkiNyan

NakkiNyan Member

I like Aegisub it lets you use all the styles and fonts you want. Of all the programs I have tried this is the only one I like.

3. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

I have tried to use it but its far from easy I want a simple time line setup where I can add in text easily and then move it around for better timing, I do not really want to play with numbers.....

4. NakkiNyan

NakkiNyan Member

That is why there are sliders for timing...

5. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

I can;t even get a a subtitle in it to adjust it 0-o its to confusing! 0-o
    I need something mroe fool proof like moive maker but with more features :p

6. NakkiNyan

NakkiNyan Member

I never even read any tutorials and it worked for me :/

7. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

could you talk me through acouple timed sentences on it?

8. NakkiNyan

NakkiNyan Member

9. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

ZOMG!!!!!!! once you load the audio its all to easy to mess with, thanks so much!!!!!

10. NakkiNyan

NakkiNyan Member

Glad I could help, if you have any questions after messing around with it for a while just ask.

11. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

I should be good, unless you know how to easily do 2 sets of subs at the same time? Working on Shinjitsu No Uta/Song of thruth, one of inuyahsa's ending songs and my fav next to fukai midori/deep Forrest.

Anyway I'd like to stick the romaji lyrics up in the top.

12. NakkiNyan

NakkiNyan Member

You can do it 2 ways.

The first I don't recommend but I have seen it, you put both script lines in 1 line and position part of it. It does not always work well (because of the players not Aegisub) but you only have to make adjustments once.

The other way which is what I use, commit 2 separate lines and then you only have to position once (the whole line) You will make adjustments on 1 of the 2 lines (I usually time Japanese and then the English) After the whole thing is timed I go back and copy the times into the other language.

Note, you do not have to have the lines in the order they play so if you start doing any effects you can time the whole thing in English and then have all of the Japanese (styled) at the end. I have seen entire shows with the OP and ED at the end of the .ass file. That is not something you will have to worry about until you get into large projects.

13. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

All I do is my fan lyrics of the song set to video, well I shall worry about trying to get the romaji lyrics in when I get the main lyrics in it and timed.

14. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

How do I make the lyrics jump/pop?

15. NakkiNyan

NakkiNyan Member

There should be a karaoke button in the app. You can do it that way or do what I used to do, which is frowned upon now, using the \\k code. It is messy but it makes for good timing. Here is how it is done http://aegisub.cellosoft.com/docs/Karaoke_Timing_Tutorial

I will leave looking up the codes to make karaoke do fx you want, most of us won't help with that because it forces you to come up with something of your own and hopefully something new.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  16. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

LOL I just want something other than "normal", jumping is good, and this is music video so...jumping is good :p.

Engage rant mode
    Bah I hate trends.....its like fan subing is dumbing down to dubing standards its great you feel you don;t want to sub songs or honorifics either give it a basic sub or try ad libing crap in...just stop whining already :p

I really could care less about honorifics if the script/translation is done well but proper song lyrics/subbing is a huge sticking point with me...

Engage OT mode
    Hey you wouldn't know where I could get Shaman king in good qaulity?Probably a JP or china rip without any subittling...I got a hankering to do the Rice box subs (hard coded) into a soft code on the better rips. So far I am looking at buying the china dvd set for 30-50$ since I can;t find anything but the fansubs....

17. NakkiNyan

NakkiNyan Member

A bounce is not all that simple, I believe TheFluff said you will have to resort to "dirty tricks" to make it work.

You would have to move the text twice, once up and once down. \move is helpful but can not be used multiple times on the same line. Either so you have to use 1 syllable per line and position the letters or use any number of the other positioning commands, it may require you to make 2 lines for each line to make an effect work.

Learn your code, they are listed on the site I gave you and on AnimeSuki. Listen to TheFluff he knows all.

We don't give out the code because you will become dependent just copying and pasting and not knowing how to fix something when it fails, which is inevitable.

18. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Ah so you can do more than just words......I am more focused on words but I guess once I get the code down I can fool with it more...now off for me to find code to naw on.

19. NakkiNyan

NakkiNyan Member

Oh hell ya, you could do a letter at a time if you wanted to IE: a wave effect from the first to last letter in a word as a word is being sung. I'm not gutsy enough to pull that off though.

20. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

You mean OCD enough 0_o
    LOL