1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easy Guide to Playing SNES on the gamecube

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by brucedlx, Jul 31, 2006.

1. shadowwzz

shadowwzz Member

I just have one question when i try to play Kirby super start it says if i am using the mouse or multiplayer adapter i should switch to the regular controller and it wont let me out of that screen any ideas? Thanks!

2. Neddking

Neddking Member

Hey Folk!

I've got a stupid question because I'm not sure at all... If I burn the rom with the snes<xxx>.dot and the ROMS-Folder (Roms included) on the DVD... do I need GcoS??? Or can I boot directly from the disk? If I need GcoS, how I use it? What must I have to burn to the disk (I've downloaded it but don't understand it)? Please help me... I'm a SNES-Freak who really want's to play it on GC

Greetings from Germany

3. spider52

spider52 Member

^^^it's not as simple as just loading a disc up with emulators and roms aa the gamecube wont load anything directly that way. you'd essentially need GCOS or something similar to have emulators run from the disc. that's about as much as i can tell you, cause i use a 2GB sandisk sd card and sdload to load up emulators and so forth. you may want to look into it if this burning disc stuff and everything else confuses you, cause it is easier, though depending on if you have the necessary items or not to perform the process you may be looking at spending anywhere between $45-$60usd....sorry i have no idea how much that would be in foreign currency though i'm sure you could find the exchange rates and figure out how much it would cost you.

4. ipod101

ipod101 Member

Will this work on the Wii?

5. Neddking

Neddking Member

what about a stand alone emu? I mean. On the PSX there is a NES-Emu that work by only booting from CD... Do someone know about an SNES-EMU for GC what's working without an other OS and MemoryCard support?

6. spider52

spider52 Member

using sdload and a sd card is the only way you'll avoid having to use GCOS or other similar programs. GCOS or anything similar to it is necessary to run emulators from a disc. there's really no way around that. it's essentially needed, cause the gamecube by itself unmoddified wont read a disc with emulators and roms thrown onto it. even if they are in the proper format.

7. djtuf

djtuf Member

Got the nes and snes emus working great, working on the genesis plus. I have the viper extreme chip, and therefore need the viper .dol files. I am not having any luck tracking down a genesis viper .dol file. Anyone know how to make one, know where to get one, or have one that they could post? Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thank you, and happy new year.

8. Villamar

Villamar Member

I'm a total n00b in this. I got a GC with a chip to play copied games. I just burned one of those mini DVDs with Battle Stadium D.O.N. cuz I can't find it anywhere and they only sell the PS2 version. So how do I know which chip I got? Is this chip to play copied games enough to play an emulator on my GC? What GBA and Genesis emulators are there for GC? Where can I find them?

9. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

10. brandon79

brandon79 Guest

first you have to cut a slot for the cartridge :D

sorry..I couldnt resist ;)

11. karzahni

karzahni Member

Is it possible for me to do that stuff on a disc with files already on it, but I delete the stuff? Cause my sister has something like that....

12. Villamar

Villamar Member

I got a qoob SX chip on my NGC. Can I use a SNES emulator on my NGC with that chip?

13. iamwhoib

iamwhoib Member

i have a xeno gc.what do i need to get them to work

14. karzahni

karzahni Member

I have to know this; is it possible to do that stuff, but on the Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Bonus Disc Demo thing? And if it IS possible, please tell me how to do it. Thank you.

15. gttdi

gttdi Regular member

Will do as soon as I finish the update.
    Three beers 4 teh Godless.

16. N64000

N64000 Member

First, thanks to brucedlx for a great guide. I even managed to burn emulators for nes, snes and gameboy, along with some roms of course, on a single minidvd. Strangely enough, i couldn't get any GCoS to work (versions 1.0-1.5) except Multigame Version 3. (whose boot dvd function works for me like disc explorer)

This is where a small issue comes up: i've downloaded this GCoS Multigame Version 3 in a rar with PAL, NTSC and JAP .dol files, but no matter which one of them i burn, it always says "pal bios" at the screen bottom and runs on 50hz. I've read somewhere (don't remember where anymore) that someone has similar problem, but for him it always says "ntsc bios". Does this mean it's something wrong with those .dol files or is it possible this happens due to gamecube versions? My is pal version, and this guy's is then obviously ntsc version. Then what's the point of three dols in archive?
    Any clarification on this would be helpful. Oh, and i'm using GC Bootable disc GUI 0.1.2 RC3.

And finally, it's not such a big deal, after all it works. Only, i figured, since all the emulators and roms i have are ntsc, why then the os wouldn't be so too?

17. TrueT

TrueT Member

Can anyone assist me with running this on a U.K. Gamecube with a Xeno GC v1.00 modchip. The chip does not have any form of GUI so I need something to boot up with that will allow me to browse to the disc and then run the emulator.

I've tried a few homebrew boot disk suggestions but with no luck as yet...

18. snesser

snesser Member

For all you guys out there having trouble with the snes simulation on a GameCube, here is your answer: this mini-DVD is bootable without GCOS and plays all (at least the more than 800 included ones) games fine, even without SD-card. Works also with XenoGC chip!

Comes with cover, gamelist and a little FAQ.

Get it here while you can:

http://www.4shared.com/dir/10666049/2d1e24ce/sharing.html

Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  19. szm221

szm221 Member

Did not try this on the XenoGC but I think it should work. Since the XenoGc 1.0 has no file browser you need to create a bootable disk using a program called bootableDisk3.rar which can be found on the tehskeen.com forums.

1) get the latest snes9x gx (version 008) from http://code.google.com/p/snes9x-gx/
    2) get bootabledisc3.rar from the tehskeen.com forums
    3) follow the instructions included with bootabledisc3 (i.e. rename the .dol file for snes9x into bootldr.dol, etc.)
    4) create a directory called 'snes9x' and inside that 'roms' in the 'my_bootable_disc' folder and copy your .smc files there.
    5) once the iso file is created just burn it and run it.

20. jplunks

jplunks Member

I am using a viper (cobra 1.6). I have the genesis and game gear emulators. I do the burn properly but it wont play the emulators. Im guessing its because i need the viper.dol but alot of hours of googling came up with nothing. Am i doing it wrong or are there viper sega emulators out there? where can i find them?