1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easy question - Roxio

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by croz, Dec 23, 2004.

1. croz

croz Member

Easy question (apologies if it's been answered but couldn't find it easily) ...do DVD Shrink and/or Decrypter work OK with Roxio Easy DVD Copy ?under WIN XP ? From reading the DVD Shrink Guide I guess I don't need DVD Decrypter if I have a separate (Roxio) burn prog ...but the DVD Shrink guide seems to assume use of Nero for burning .....I'm new to DVD burning ...
    Thanks..

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

No reason it shouldn't...Be aware that Roxio conflicts with a bunch of other burning programs, ie Nero. Generally the advice you will get is to use something else but if you are not having any problems with a program, why not use it?

3. croz

croz Member

Thanks ..in fact as you were posting I was editing ...as I'd just read the DVD Shrink guide .....so I added that question ! Reason I have Roxio is it was a deal ....half price sale ...9.99 sterling...

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Actually one of the best ways to make quick and easy DVD copys is to use Shrink to rip and compress, creating an ISO image and then have Decrypter enabled so that Shrink will open it and use Decrypter's burn engine to burn the copy. It is about the easiest method I know of and it is free.

ScubaPete made a guide for this and posted it at my website.

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/tutorial007.html

5. croz

croz Member

Thanks for the tip - I tried Scuba Pete's link but seems that both the "Shrink/Nero" and "Shrink/Decrypter" links on the site in fact lead to the same guide..shrink/Nero so something's wrong somewhere,,,,

I see that in the shrink/nero guide he has a step -
    "Then under the "File I/O" tab tick "Enable burning with Nero"
    So - is it possible to "tick" or enter "enable burning with ,,,,,,Roxio" for example ...? Sorry if I'm asking really basic questions here but I do value the expert advice that you guys give ....

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You can only enable Nero or Decrypter with Shrink.

I'll go fix that link, thanks for telling me!

Edit: OK, Link fixed.

We like answering questions, so ask away!!
    All of us started somewhere and this is a great place to start. That was a perfectly valid question.

Mr. Shrink actually works for or with Ahead software and helped develop Nero Recode 2 which looks a lot like Shrink. He also worked with the Decrypter folks so now Shrink can interact with these two programs. Once the correct settings are made, the process is very quick and reliable. It is what I usually recommend.

One of my friends has recorded close to 500 movies in the past 6 months without any problems. I go over to his house and do his basic computer maintenance because he is quite computer illiterate but he is a burning madman.
    All he knows is how to put in the original and a blank, click a couple of buttons and then walk away. He is happy. He makes all my copies now so I can do other stuff like websites.

7. croz

croz Member

Thanks - I took your advice and have downloaded Shrink and decrypter ,,I'll give them a whirl ..I haven't opened the Roxio packaging so if the shrink/decryptyer combo is as easy as you guys make it sound ..I'll return Roxio for a refund.
    Thanks again ...I'll let you know how it goes ....

8. croz

croz Member

It worked ....I followed ScubaPete's instructions to the letter ...thanks to both of you. Happy New Year.

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Excellent!
    What did you think of Pete's guide?

10. croz

croz Member

Perfect - I don't think it would be possible to screw up !

11. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Hi frank
    Great site..scuba petes guides got me started...he writes the best guides, for the newbie, that ive found.
    Keep up the good work frank!!
    see ya
    jim

12. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Thanks for visiting my site. I have a lot of fun working on it.

Pete was kind enough to send me some of his guides. I always have enough room at my site for my friends at AD. Hopefully I'll get a few more guides in and start filling it with some good info. I will let Pete know you liked his guides!