1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EASY QUICK QUESTION

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jaykool, Jul 9, 2003.

1. jaykool

jaykool Member

I have a ps2 with magic 3.1 installed...(it rocks by the way) but i have friends with fliptop ps2's...my question is this

i burn my backups at 4x and the seem to work fine on my magic 3.1, but with they have a prob on the flip top...the way i see it, if the backup works, it works, right???
    the burn speed should not have any effect on wether or not it works when it comes to different modding methods...

anyone have any knowledge on this??

2. billz

billz Active member

it all depends on the laser you may a strong one while your friend has a weaker one the only try way to find out is experiment.you should proboly burn at a lower speed.

3. Xian

Xian Regular member

I would try burning at a lower speed and seeing if it works on their PS2. As billz said, it is probably the difference in the laser on your friends PS2. Even if it works on your system, I would be concerned. What if your PS2 dies next month and the replacement has the same problem as your friends? All your backups would have to be burnt again from your originals. I would try to find what works the best on the most machines.

4. jaykool

jaykool Member

so ur saying that it takes a stronger laser in order to read games that were burnt at a fasters speed huh?? i get it....so do u think that 2x would be okay

5. cmp333

cmp333 Member

actually when you put a no-swap chip such as Messiah, DMS3, or a Magic chip in your ps2 it allows the laser to read discs that it wasnt meant to read such as dvd rips, cheap recordable media, and probably games that were copied too fast. 4x is way too fast for making game backups at the very most it should be 2x. 1x makes an EXACT duplicate of the disc with little to no room for errors. when using swap magic to boot backups, the boot discs can become very picky as to what it loads and what it doesn't. it wants good media such as verbatim, etc etc. and it won't play any rips at all. it's basically still a standard ps2 and wants to read discs that are like standard ps2 discs.

6. billz

billz Active member

it'll play rips.just tried it for the hell of it and it will play dvdrips i'd rather have a one2one but not bad

7. cmp333

cmp333 Member

swap magic will play rips? were you ripping a dvd9 game? or a dvd5 to cd-r?

8. billz

billz Active member

it was a dvd5 my pal walked me thru it

9. cmp333

cmp333 Member

i thought sm couldn't play rips. that's cool. did u take out movies and music?

10. billz

billz Active member

yeah,not all music or all video but enough to fit it on cd-r

11. cmp333

cmp333 Member

cool. i'll have to try that out.

12. billz

billz Active member

yeah it's not bad if your running low on dvd's and kinda wanna backup something but not sure how long you want to keep the orginal in your collection. but it still not same as the total game.

13. cmp333

cmp333 Member

agree

14. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

DVD Rips will work with the smd as long as it's on a 650mb cd-r and not a 700mb or larger.

15. psx245

psx245 Regular member

i had a couple of dvd rips and i mostly played with the original because it included all of the features and the dvd rips left out scenes etc...