1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edgetec 8X DVD crash

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by joey78, May 3, 2005.

1. joey78

joey78 Member

I have used an entire pack of Edgetec 8X DVDs..they are rumored to be manufactured by Moser Baer.......i have written about 15 DVDs with no problem at 8X............suddenly yesterday one DVD crashed after 6 % of writing...the status of the DVD recorder said failed............so i tried another blank and it failed again after 6 %.....

After that i rebooted the machine and reinstalled Nero..........then i wrote another DVD but at 4x........i suspected that the speed could have been the reason for the crash adn so didnt want to take a chance.

Could this be a problem with the writer or the media ?

2. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

MEDIA! Stick to better known media like Taiyo Yuden or Ritek.

3. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

definitely a MEDIA issue, while i've never used the edgetecs, you should try Ty or Verbatims, both GREAT medias, many many others will agree with me

good luck

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

yup, Verb's get my vote (i haven't used TY but only hear good things) so would vote for them too.

5. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

if you are on a budget, the TY's are a better bet, Verbs can be expensive but are good quality media. it really depends on the user and your current setup, but, im pretty sure the reason for your problems still lies in the edgetec media~

TY and VERBS fo life~ hahahah

good luck to you :)

6. creaky

on a side note my bruv bought me a 50pack of 'emtec 4x' for xmas. i used them up ifn a few days and didn't have any problems with any of them, on burns or playback. tho i can't remember the media code, will have a look tonight.(soz i suffer from goldfish memory);but they've funnily enough been fine so far. also i used to buy 'packard bell' from pc world. again they were faultless, but i checked one last night - coded out to be optodisc - i usually read that these are less than good, but they've been fine so far, wierd..

so what i'm saying i guess is for the OP to check out the recommended media for their drive and have a go. But i'm still gonna stick to my Verbs for a while longer :)

7. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i've had numerous problems with optodisc when i first started out, they were the most inexpensive ones i could get locally before i found out about TY and Verbs; 90% of the 150 or so burns w/ optodisc are completely unplayable now, you have had much better luck than i have creaky~

starting out, i really didn't know quality media would/could be such an issue with a dvd, so i just bought whatever was cheap at the time. i really do regret it now. well, i guess that is just more space i can clear out when my coasters go into the trash, time to replace that stack w/ a fresh stack of these Verbs~ :)

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hey Kivory,

With all the money you've got tied up in that monster pc, I'm suprised you don't use only the best media all the time like dl verbatums or make your own media by now. ;) Just razzing ya a little, Its all good.

9. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@mort81

well, when i first started backing up my dvds, i didn't know any better, when i stated "first started out" this was over 2 years ago when any sort of dvd media was fairly expensive, so i just went with the cheapest i could find :) since then, i've built a better pc and now only go with TY or Verbs; i was using a very slow pc few years ago, the one in my sig. i've only had completed for about 6 months now.

im pretty happy w/ the experience i've gained over the years in terms of backing up my dvds, and AD has definitely helped me out since im not much of a "software" guy, i prefer messing with hardware personally~ :)

have a good one my friend~

10. creaky

same here, when i started out i stuck with Bulkpaq, and now i have sooo many that are crap. The very thought of going thru in one go and redoing any films that are on Bulkpaq just p***es me off. I spent a couple months trying to get ebuyer to put my reviews of these discs onto their website. The website would accept submission of my review each time, i think this happened half a dozen times so then i started discussing this with them. much discussion later , and after telling me their web designers were repeatedly looking into it, they eventually gave up as they were no longer selling them. Every now and then i check if they start stocking them again. Surely can't be cus my review contained words such as 'fake media'.. hmmm...

Last edited: May 7, 2005