1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing DVD's made from VHS home movies

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by dmerrick, Jan 31, 2008.

1. dmerrick

dmerrick Regular member

I have a pretty good system in place to convert my VHS tapes to DVD. My problem now is that I would like to be able to edit the DVD's I created from my VHS home movies. Many of them have frames that I would like to remove because they are blurred or have all kinds of sound streaks etc. just garbage that I would like to get off. Also to be able to lighten them up a little. Some of the VHS tapes I was working with were 25 years old and had certainly begun to deteriorate. So I need something to remove garbage frames and just freshen up the new DVD's (DVD+R)

Any body got some suggestions for suitable software??

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

If you're just wanting to edit out some frames I'd recommend trying VideoReDo Plus . It's a frame accurate MPEG editor, and is able to cut out frames without re-encoding the entire video stream. There's a free trial (21 days I think) that's fully functional.

If you don't care about being frame accurate, and would just like to cut at GOP boundaries (probably every 15 frames) you could use DVD Shrink to do the editing, and it's free.

3. Suba

Suba Regular member

Try Mpeg Video Wizard DVD. This one let you cut out frames, make transitions between them, fade out sound and so on.
    If you want to brighten files, I think you will have to use software like TMPGEnc Xpress, Premiere or other, than you will have to re author Mpeg file to produce DVD. Video Wizard will do that.
    If you really want to play with it and produce nice DVD with menus, chapter menus and all check DVD Lab Pro.

http://www.womble.com/products/dvd.html

4. dmerrick

dmerrick Regular member

vurbal - I have used DVD shrink to cut frames at the beginning and end of DVD's. Is there a way to use it to remove frames within the DVD. You know how those vhs tapes had grey outs and "screech" marks withing the body of the tape. That's what I want to edit out?

5. dmerrick

dmerrick Regular member

Suba

I'll give those programs a try and see how they work thanks.

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

You can remove frames from the middle, but putting the pieces back together can be a little complicated.

For basic editing you're really better of with something like VideoReDo or the Womble product Suba mentioned, either of which is capable of frame accurate editing without re-encoding the entire video.

If you neeed to do some other kind of processing (like noise removal, brightening, etc,...) you'll need to go a step further and used some kind of editor and MPEG-2 encoder to encode the entire video.