1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing soundtracks on DVD movies

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by ddcotbg, Aug 16, 2004.

1. ddcotbg

ddcotbg Member

Hi all. My first post to the forum

I have a 5 year old son who wants to watch the Blues Brothers all the time. There is far too much swearing in it to leave him watching the movie on his own so I have to sit there with my finger over the mute button every time.

Is it possible to edit out bits of DVD movie soundtracks or insert silence over the speech? I'm willing to spend a bit of cash to get there but any help sincerely appreciated.

Big Dave
    Liverpool
    UK

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes you can.....I guess the easiest way you be to Rip the DVD to your Hard drive as a Single audio Track and a Single Video Track and then decode the Dolby Digital AC3 audio track to Wav format and then load the Wav audio file for the Movie into a Audio Editor like Sound Forge and then do the tedius process of Inserting Silence or a Beep or whatever were ever there is a Word you don"t like...
    Then you would Render the audio track and then use a DVD Authoring program to Author the Censored Audio file and the Video File to a DVD useing a DVD authoring program.....

The DVD Ripping Software (Smartripper or DVD Decryptor) are freeware and so is the Software to decode the Dolby audio to a Format that can be read by Audio Editors which would be Wav format, But audio editing Programs can be fairly expensive especially if you are only going to use it once and it would be a Tedius Process.....

If you need any more Info Just ask or you can PM me if you want.....Good Luck

3. Berkner80

Berkner80 Regular member

Hi,
    I read your post and I have been wanting to edit the language out myself. I just didn't know if it was possible. I am happy to tell you I have completed the first half of the problem. I have demux the vob file (seperated the audio from the video so I can turn it into a wave file )extracted the audio and replaced it with slience. Now I need to see if I can rejoin the file back and create a DVD.
    The programs I used are DVDdecrypter,AC3 Dec v0.821 and you will need a sound editor to edit the sound. I used wavelab but it is expensive. I'm sure there are some inexpensive ones out there that you can find.
    I spent several hours trying to figure out how to use the programs but the key thing is: Use dvd-decrypter work on one chapter at a time, demux the audio file you want under stream proccessing. Here is the key thing which took me forever to figure out. Using AC3 Dec don't try and open up the program, just take the demux vob file and drag the icon onto the AC3 icon. It will automactly create a wavefile on your desktop. I'll let you know if I am able to create a dvd from the edited audio file. If you are from liverpool. I was there in 86' and had a fun time. I hope to get back to England someday. Hope this info helps.

Richardson,TX.

4. Berkner80

Berkner80 Regular member

Sorry but I told you wrong in using the AC3 program. With the AC3 program open up the program labeled
    ac3decgui. It will bring up a box, about the middle of the box on left -click Convert to WAV. Then just drag the vob file you split using dvd-decrypter in the blank window. The AC3 program will autiomactly create a WAV on your desktop. Now you can edit the WAV file.
    I've completed it that far but I don't know how to convert the WAV file back to the AC3 format and then re-join the AC3 file and video file back together.
    If you figure this out I would like to know.
    Thanks

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well you would need an AC3 Encoder but you do not have to use Dolby AC3 on your DVD you can just as easilly use Mpeg1 Layer 2 audio....

As for Joining the audio back with the Video ,you don"t have to Join them back together because you can do that when Authoring the DVD because Most Good DVD authoring Programs support seperate audio and Video files....

6. Berkner80

Berkner80 Regular member

After converting the AC3 file to a wave file and then converting it to mp3(so I can listen to it in my mp3 player)I notice the volumn is too low. Is there anything I can do about this besides going into and editing the volumn level of the wave file in wavelab? That would be too time consuming for me.

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Dolby AC3 has a Tendancy to lower in Volume after being decoded to wav....
    What you can do is Boost the Volume while decodeing to wav or encodeing to MP3....
    I use an audio encoder sometimes called "Headac3he" that decodes AC3 to wav or MP3 or MP2 or OGG ECT and it has a Volume Boosting setting so you can Boost the volume while encodeing the AC3 file to whatever format you wish...

I also allways encode My Wav audio files to Dolby AC3 for DVD authoring useing a program called "Vegas Video 5" which is a high end professinal Level Video and Audio editing Program that allows me to Manipulate the audio in many different ways from Boosting the audio or Cleaning up bad audio ect..
    It is the Type of Program that would be perfect for Editing offensive language out Movies like you are Trying to do and it can also render the audio as Dolby AC3....

If you want to Try useing Headac3he to boost the audio when encodeing AC3 to Wav or Wav to MP3 then PM me with your email and I"ll send it to you with all of the .Dll files you will need to decode and encode to as many Possible formats...

The Program is freeware but it can sometimes be difficult tracking down all of the seperate .DLL files that are needed to Encode/Decode each Format...

Cheers