1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing Static

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Odin80, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Odin80

Odin80 Member

I have the Nero wav editor, as well as the full Nero program. I would like to know if it's possible to edit out the static from mp3s or wav files. I have a song which sounds like an analog tape, and would like to clear it up a bit. Does anyone know how to do this with Nero or any other programs? Any help is appreciated.

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

You can do this with most wave editors (e.g. Nero's). I prefer using CoolEditPro (fully functional 30 days trial avail.).

Basically it works like this: Select a (as long as possible) part without any music - only containing pure static and create a noise profile from it. Then perform a noise reduction on the whole file using the profile.

The more you reduce noise the more likely you'll introduce nasty sounds like high frequency ringing, warbeling etc, especially if the source file is mp3. Repeated noise reductions by small amounts could give better results than one big step.