1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing video question

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Molder, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Molder

Molder Regular member

Hi,
    I have just read a very short article in a video camera magazine and I am a little perplexed.

The article stated not to edit mpeg video as you end up with a loss of quality, is this true? It said to edit in avi format, the article said that Adobe Premier will not allow you to edit mpeg files, you can put them in the timeline but it will crash and keep on crashing if you try and edit the mpeg, but with the new digital cameras I believe that they stream mpeg to your HDD.

Also, I have a Hitachi DV Cam and it uses DVD Ram (also CD-r minis) the file it creates on the DVD Ram is a VR file, whats the difference with a VR file as opposed to mpeg files.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

M

2. nuclear81

nuclear81 Member

MPEG movies are lossy so no matter what format of MPEG they are you will get some quality loss, but the same can be said about most AVI's. Everytime you reencode something you will lose some quality (unless you are dealing with ana analog source, but we are not in this case I am guessing) Premiere stinks, and although it is the best thing out for PC's now, it still has some major problems. It will not let you edit MPEG movies and who knows what that will be available, but until then if you dob't have a decent editor, you can always convert the video then edit it. Good luck