1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EFM and 2 sheep burners

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by cdkiller, Apr 26, 2004.

1. cdkiller

cdkiller Member

does anyone know where to find an updated list of 2 sheep burners. is there an official site maybe.
    and what does the acronym EFM stand for.

2. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

P.S You cant bold headings.....

Regards
    CoZZa

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Here's a list but it isn't exactly new either. I couldn't find my Plextor Premium on it.

http://www.makeabackup.com/modules.php?name=Burner_Attributes&op=index

[bold]E[/bold]lectrical [bold]F[/bold]lying [bold]M[/bold]oose

I can't honestly remember what it stands for. Praetor?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium[/small]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2004
  4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Eight-Fourteeen Modulation :p

....*snaps fingers* .... problem solved :p

Do you have a specific burner in mind or are you just lookin around? :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
    AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.addictz.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2004
  5. Nephilim

The LiteOn LTR-52327S is a great drive for around $35, but if you have a more forgiving budget the Plextor Premium (@ $85) is a wnderful drive that, when used with BlindWrite5, handles SecuRom especially well.

6. niall76

niall76 Member

Could someone answer this question for me.

I've bought a Dell 5150 with a 4x dvd/cd rewriter. Thing is I have no idea who makes their cd drives. Any of ye know is it a 1 or 2 sheep drive.

Also, have any of ye guys backed up C and C Generals. I'm tried Alcohol 120 but it didn't work. Start up screen came up but after that it didn't work.

Niall

7. niall76

niall76 Member

Sorry, just to add I'm using Cdrw disks on C and C Generals.

Is this a bad thing. Don't RW disks work to back up stuff like games ?
    I think they're TDK CDRW's btw.

Niall

8. Nephilim

What does the PC say the drive is?

Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > DVD/CDROM Drives.

Dell buys from different drive makers. I know they've used Teac DVD/RWs.

9. cdkiller

cdkiller Member

i presently have 2 burners installed

HP cd-writer+ 8000
    HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4120B

as listed in device manager. I highly doubt any of them are 2 sheep burners. i hear that plextor premium is a good buy but i saw a list and none of the plextor drives were 2 sheep. i'm looking to buy the best burner for copying protected games.

10. cdkiller

cdkiller Member

thanx for notifying me about the bold thing. :) i was wondering why it didn't work.

the Eight- Fourteen Modulation rings a bell, i saw some DVD burners capable of 8-16 modulation, now that i know about EFM i would take a leap and assume 8-16 is a better capable burner than an 8-14.

CD-RW media is incapable of handling subchannel data and therefore it is not advisible to copy games to rw media. unless its a dvd+rw which i think some can handle the sub channel data. the + and - have something to do with that aspect but i am not too sure. your best bet is to use cd-r, they are cheap. :)

11. cdkiller

cdkiller Member

I have some info here about EFM encoding.

EFM Encoding

With compact discs, as in life, the best way to avoid errors is to keep them from happening in the first place.

Because of the extremely small size and close proximity of the pits on a surface of a CD, their placement is very important to the performance of the player. When a CD plays, it uses the string of pits to keep the laser on track. That means that if there were a long stretch where there were no pits (which could happen with a long, continuous string of zeros, for example), the laser would probably get lost! This would cause tracking errors and a whole lot of bits to get missed. On the other hand, too many pits isn't good either. If there are a lot of 1-to-0 and 0-to-1 transitions in the data track, it makes the pits very small, which are hard for the laser to detect. This would make missed bits much more common, and make the parity checker have to work that much harder.

The solution is to arrange the pits in such a way so that there aren't too few, or too many, pits on any given segment of the data track. This is done with an extremely clever technique called EFM, which stands for Eight to Fourteen Modulation. In EFM, every possible 8-bit word (from 0000 0000 to 1111 1111) has a 14-bit equivalent. The 14-bit "substitute words" are chosen such that there are always more than two, but less than ten, consecutive zeros. Every 8-bit byte of data in a CD frame is converted to a 14-bit word using EFM before it is written. This ensures that the data spiral has no pits smaller than 3 bits or larger than 11 bits in length. Not too small, and not too big, but just right. This keeps the tracking mechanism running smoothly and the laser happy!

This works great for manipulating the occurrence of pit-to-land transitions within an 8-bit word. But wait... what about the transitions between EFM words themselves? What happens if you have an EFM word that ends in a "1", and the very next EFM word begins with a "1"? This breaks the "always more than two consecutive zeros" rule, and results in a pit smaller than 3 bits. This is why 3 merge bits are always inserted between EFM encoded words on the CD. These 3 merge bits can be anything, but are chosen to eliminate consecutive "1"s between EFM words and to maintain the minimum pit size of 3 bits.

A list of 2 sheep burners can be found using this link.
    http://www.makeabackup.com/burners.html
    Thanks to Nephilim i checked it out and it seems up to date.Thanx.

12. Nephilim

Hi,

I, and many others, would recommend the Plex Premium. The older Plextors often didn't cut the mustard but the Premium cuts it quite nicely :)

13. cdkiller

cdkiller Member

I'm just curious, everyone keeps saying the plextor premium is a best buy, but there are no plextors on the 2 sheep list on the link above. so how does everyone know that plextor is good? more importantly when i go to the store and pick up the plextor premium burner, what exactly do i look for on the box that would indicate that the burner i hold in my hands is a 2 sheep badass burner?

14. Nephilim

There's not much on a drive's box that's going to tell you it's 2-sheep. Most just say something to the effect of "It's really f'in fast". The net is your best resource for this.

Many of the newer burners aren't on the lists I've seen, I don't know why, but they aren't.

Like I said already, most of the older Plextors weren't 2-sheep but the Premium most definitely is a 2-sheep burner.

Because I've made working copies of SafeDisc 3.10 and SecuRom 4.84 with it :)

15. niall76

niall76 Member

So guys. Any advice on burning Generals. I've tried Alcohol 120 with a cd r and no good. Would using fireburner toburn be any help ?

Niall

16. Praetor

1. What burner do you have?
    2. A120 would be a better choice :)

17. niall76

niall76 Member

I got it.

Instead of writing the iso file to a cd, I instead put the iso directly onto the cd. Then using daemon tools emulator, I mounted the file off the cd directly to the computer.

Works fine.

Niall

18. Praetor

Wont be able to do that for SecurROM games :p