1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EM61SM/PM support Intel Quadcore Q6600? CPU

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by DTron, Jan 7, 2008.

1. DTron

DTron Member

Hey everyone. I know some things about computers, but not too much about motherboards and CPU. Now I'm aware that it has to be able to take the socket but I don't know if my EM61SM can take that or any Intel CPU. Right now I'm running an AMD 64bit 2xcore duo processor which isn't too bad but I'd like to upgrade it.

Do you think I can upgarde to the Q6600? I've looked on google but am having a hard time finding the right answers to my question.

If I can't upgrade to that, what are some possible options of CPUs I can upgrade to?

Thansk in advance.

-DTron-

2. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

if you're running an amd, then you can only run amd.

in order to run a core 2 quad, you would need a new motherboard that supports intel cpu.

3. DTron

DTron Member

Hm that sucks.

Well if I got my mobo replaced and got a new CPU as well, would I still be able to run everything without having to reformat anything or not? I know that sounds like a n00b question, but I want to make sure. I don't think I'll have to change much but I just wanna be sure. Thanks for replying.

4. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

unfortunately, you'd have to reinstall windows when you move the hdd. windows will go crazy when you move the hdd to a new motherboard, without a fresh install. there are too much for windows to reconfigure itself to the motherboard.

5. DTron

DTron Member

Hm thanks for the help. That won't be too much of an issue I don't think. Well there's another thousand bux gone... Hmm... what moboes do support an intel quadcore CPU? Maybe I can go to Microcenter and just buy both the mobo and the CPU and have them put it in.They said the install itself is only 80$ so yeah....