1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

emailing movie files

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by fishbulb, Jan 29, 2005.

1. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question but i hope someone can help.
    i'm wanting to try to share the movies i have saved on my harddrive w/ my brother. i have them saved as ISO images. what would be the easiest way to get them to him? the sharing is only going to be between he and i. can i email a link to the folder that i keep my movies in or maybe just email a link to each movie? any tips would be appreciated. never tried sharing so i'm not sure how this works.
    thanx.

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

If you have a place you can host the files, then giving him a link will work. But most free filehosting sites have limits on the size of the files you can host, so that might not be an option for you.

You can email them to him, but that can be a pain in the ass, since you have to split the file up into pretty small pieces in order to meet the attachment size limits most mail servers have.

Probably the best thing to do is work out a time, server, and chat room that you and your brother can meet on in IRC. google mIRC, download the software and read the faq on that site. its pretty easy to set up and figure out.

3. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

thanx for the reply balaam. as i said, i've never tried sharing movies before. so i'm not sure about a couple of things.
    what do u mean by "If you have a place you can host the files, then giving him a link will work?" how do i do that, if in fact it will even work because of the file size.
    i guess i won't even try emailing because of the trouble.
    if i try IRC, how do i share the files once there? i've never used any type of chat before, though i've been meaning to try it. would using instant messaging be the same?
    also, to share them, can i keep them in ISO or do i need to change that?
    thanx again for the help.

4. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Oh ya, you can use something like ICQ to trade files. Because of issues with XP and firewall, I never got that to work for me, but I never really tried either. It should be pretty easy to do it that way.

About the "hosting", I was just saying that before you can give him a link to the files, they first have to be uploaded to some place on the web. Unless you're running a server, or some other type of software, another person can't access the files on your computer.

There are three ways you could go, that are in general pretty accessible to the laymen. The only caveat is that for all three, both you and your brother have to install certain software.

1) IRC. You both have to install an Internet Relay Chat client, like mIRC. It will be easiest for you to google mIRC and read the faq on the mirc homepage, for specifics. IRC is a really great srevice though, and this would be a great excuse for you to get started with it.

2) ICQ. u both have to install this too. google and download something like ICQ4. u both can set up an indentity, and then email each other you number. connect and trade files that way.

3) FTP. For this one, you will have to google and download an FTP 'server'(ie serv-u), and you r brother an FTP client(cute-ftp). This might be the more difficult of the three to get set up, but it works quite well for what you need.

5. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

my brother uses msn messanger. would this work ok if i install it and that's what we use?
    and about the hosting thing again...when u say they have to be uploaded to someplace on the web, is this the same thing as where it says in my file and folder tasks, "Publish this file (or folder) to the web"? and if i did this, the only person who could access it would be him since i'm only giving the link to him?
    and once again, thanx for taking the time to help me out. :)

6. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

i've never used msn, and i dont know about the "publishing to the web" thing. I have no experience with either, sorry. hopefully someone who knows more will come along. but in the mean time, you might as well experiment with those two things. the worst thing that could happen is that you'd learn something. :)

7. ag22

ag22 Regular member

Im gonna go ahead and guess that you are trying to upload a full-sized DVD. Everything your try to do with email/instan messaging/ publishing has a 50 MB limit (with the exception of IRC). A DVD is 4 GB. THats 8x the size of 50 MB. I would reccomend setting up an FTP, becuz Ive dun it. But make sure your brother has a DVD burner or else this is completely useless. And if he does have a burner then keep it in ISO. DONT CHANGE IT! If he doesnt convert the file to Divx becuase you can compress it to 1 GB which will make everything a bit faster. However its hard to burn a Divx file. I found it unpossible but I lot of people have done it.

8. ecstatica

ecstatica Member

dont know about msn but i have sent things over yahoo messenger ? not movies but programs and to be safe i put em in a rar file give em a fake name and put a pw ... the size of the file i sent was around 200mb so it might do it

good luck

9. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

thanx everyone! looks like i've got at least a couple of options that might work.
    hey ag22, my bro does have a dvd burner. but just out of curiosity, could he just watch a movie on his computer from the link sent to him if he downloads it and vice versa if he sends me one?
    i suppose i could have just asked if anyone has done this and just had them explain how to do it. but maybe i can figure it all out. i don't want to use kazaa or imesh or anything like that if i can help it. but if anyone here has, how has your experience w/ either been? i've been hearing so much crap lately w/ the p2p users getting in trouble i don't know if i want to chance it. even though i know the odds of being singled out are slim to none.