1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Embedded IP Trace in AVI videos

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by DongHungLo, Oct 25, 2011.

1. DongHungLo

DongHungLo Member

About a year ago, I received a copyright infringement letter warning me of the dangers of downloading a television show that....

1. I could watch for free over the air since HD via an antenna is really free
    2. I could watch on NBC's website and have to watch advertisment
    3. I could watch later if I had a DVR
    4. I could watch if I bought the DVD set when it came out....which would never happen

Anyway. I downloaded it at 1:00 A.M. but was too tired to watch the episode and figured I would watch it later.

I watched the video at exactly 10:35 AM and when I got the letter it said that the copyright owner was informed NOT at 1:00 AM when I downloaded it, but at 10:35 AM. This means to me that they didn't catch me downloading it, but they caught me watching it. This would mean that the video was somehow embedded with some kind of utility that PINGED the copyright owner who then in turn complained. This is entrapment but all I want to know is does anybody know what utility is used to accomplish this OR how can I confirm this. Should I use a sniffer to find out what is going on behind the scenes. Just seems that as long as you don't watch anything you download while online, you might be safe.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Maybe they only go after people with "smartass" usernames. :wink:

Aside from that, I have never heard of that happening.

3. keebles

keebles Regular member

What movie player did you use to play it? Some of the newer movies/ tv shows have a special sounds/data encoded in them to tell if the movie is a legit copy(store bought, rented, ect..., or a bootleg/counterfeit copy (downloaded/copied disc). The ps3 has cinavia to prevent bootlegs from playing.

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

apparently windows media player sends data to microsoft to tell them what you been listening to or watching.trackers from torrent sites might of tracked you.when i got my computer (windows 7) everytime i put in a copied cd or dvd i got a message pop up saying the current media your using may be a bootleg or counterfit copy (that was before i had internet connected).