1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

embedding subtitles in mpeg2,dvd,mpge4 etc(method)

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by mokum12, Jan 17, 2007.

1. mokum12

mokum12 Guest

I found an easy and mostly working way to embed subtitles in movies (this after 4 days of trying all kind of other solutionas that didn't work for some reason or another. What you need is Ulead Video Studio 10 and DivXland Media Subtitler. (get them from softarchive.net if you want to.)
    Then take the subtitle file and movie and load them into Media Subtitler (many formats) to checjk syncronisation. (change if necessery)
    then save the subtitle file either in .srt or plain text (!) format.
    Open Ulead and open the movie into a new project. go to the "title" tab and choose "open subtitle" open the subtitle file and create the movie in any standard you want (and Ulead supports)
    I found this the easiest and quickest way to do this. Enjoy!

2. Flyer_SG

Flyer_SG Member

3. mokum12

mokum12 Guest

Dear Friend, for this you just need some fine dvd rip software for ex. #1 DVD ripper (see softarchive.net) and to extract the movie and the title file you want (don't forget the language-sound file...)
    You can save the video in AVI or wmv format (or any other you may choose and add the subtitles as I already told you.
    Alternatively you can search for better subtitle files on the web through Yahoo or even write your own.

btw We are in broadcasting too! contact me priveate if you have any more doubts or comments.

take care

Jan.-

4. Flyer_SG

Flyer_SG Member

Thanks a lot for the suggested solutions. I use licensed DVD's which I get from the publisher, because it is easier than on Beta tapes. I have to play them in mpeg2 format (we use Playbox Airbox automation system - www.playbox.tv) so I need the mpeg2 file with hardcoded subitles, which are already on the DVD (original subtitles, already on the original DVD). I do have a good ripper, although I didn't try #1 DVD ripper yet. Will do. We'll get in touch via private messages, to exchange ideas, no problem. Looking forward to it. So far I used to record the movie in real time directly to my PC via Capture Box or even via very good hardware codec PCI card Winfast PVR 2000, which gave very good results even in conversion from NTSC to PAL (I was surprised of the good quality of a cheap 100 EUR PCI card): I just don't want real time recording of the movie, I would prefer to start the encoding job and go home. Anyway, I will be looking ino this and will let you know, in case you need this.

5. badsam

badsam Member

man thanks for the advice, thats really a good find , i never knew ulead video studio could do this, i always wanted to embed subtitles in my ipod videos and i never knew how.

6. Valimm

Valimm Member

thanks alot for the info. So now I can embed subtitles to a movie for an iPod. But a PSP?

7. badsam

badsam Member

yes, u can convert videos to mp4 psp format, in share tab choose create video> mpeg-4 PSP

8. Valimm

Valimm Member

How do I add a subtitle file? It will let me select only an .utf file. No .srt or anything else. Please help.

9. mokum12

mokum12 Guest

Like I said: use DIVXLAND Movie subtitler ro translate the subtitles files in PLAIN TEXT (=utf) or SRT files, VideoStudio 10 will recognise and accept those. Other ways don't work! Afterwards you can export the movie in many different formats, and if you want to use a format that isn't included there, choose a format (like avi or mpeg) and use a file converter that suits you. Good work! have fun!

10. Valimm

Valimm Member

OK. Thanks alot. It works now. But I want to use others symbols or letters and I usually save the subtitle file in Unicode format, not ANSI, and Windows Media Player uses it just perfectly. But Ulead Video Studio 10 won't see the symbols and changes them. Any idea?

11. alaa_sdk

alaa_sdk Member

hi, i am interest in embedding the subtitle in the movies but i just want to ask 1 question b4 intend to download and try ur solution for that.
    my quetion is:
    can i put other languages subtitles ?? like Arabic

12. Valimm

Valimm Member

That goes for me, too. But I want Romanian symbols like ş, ţ, ă, â, î.

13. mokum12

mokum12 Guest

Dear Friends...
    Since I'm not Romanian or Arab, I´ve never been confronted with this specific problem... However, since I do most of my subtitling in Portuguese, which has caracters like ã õ ê etc., I never had any problems with those... My advise? Try-it out and if it works, please tell us here... Though I think that Arab may be a real problem!

take care.
    Jan.

14. creamnom

creamnom Guest

15. setbon

setbon Member

We will be authoring a DVD-5 containing subtitle tracks in 6 languages using Sonic DVD Creator 2.1.7. We have previously had our DVD-author create MPEG-4 approval files which contain the video and the subtitles exactly as they appear on the DVD. Here's the workflow that was followed:

- import all assets

- author the subtitles and videos (and audio) together

- create a disc image

- import the disc image into another system

- set up a queue that marries each video and each subtitle

- the machine crunches on it until its done, and then the MP4s get posted to an ftp site

What I would like to find out is what is the most efficient way to create the MP4's with the subtitles married to the video ?

Right now it takes our DVD author 3 times the total running time to encode the MP4s.

What software (outside of Nero Recode 2) is there out there for this process and is there anything that may do faster or real-time encoding marrying DVD subtitle files to an MP4 ?

Is there anything out there doing the same encoding to WMV files ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
    Julie

16. Merenbig

Merenbig Member

Need help wit this one!

I tried this method using Ulead Video Studio and it's working! Using other procedures really takes time and the result is many times bad.
    BUT, the problem is following: i use Subtitle Workshop for making subtitles (for short video from Youtube). When I import this subtitles to Ulead Studio (using the thumbnail Title), one character is not shown correctly. The letter "Č"... What to do? I saved the file in Subtitle Workshop in East European coding, but still no use...