1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emergency and Disaster Preparedness (and Official CB Radio Thread)

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Auslander, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

what's this built-in microphone you talk of, krees?

talk to you soon, poly. ^.^

2. krees23

krees23 Member

Something like this:

[​IMG]

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

o0o, nifty.

i think that radio should fit in the gauge pod, though. it's not really much of a stretch and it would work so well on your dash.

good luck, and please keep the thread updated. ^.^

4. emachine

emachine Guest

I'm not addicted I can stop when ever I want...

LOL

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

addicted to what? cb talk? 0.o

6. krees23

krees23 Member

All I have to do is hang it on the dash somewhere since this is just the handset / microphone. It should be ok.

When you were on your trip, were the truckers using sideband at all that you know of, or were they intend to go in that direction?

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

no sideband that i know of, amigo.

8. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

any new news, krees?

9. krees23

krees23 Member

I got the dash pod in the mail. I haven't had time to drop it off yet. I get home from work during the week when the store is closed and they are open on Saturday mornings, but I'm pretty much away this Saturday. So it won't be for a week or two before I make further progress

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

that's going to look soooo good in there. i can't wait to see the finished product.

while it's being installed, krees, see if you can get some pics of the progress so you can post a bit of a timeline here. it would entertain your ol' buddy Aus. :)

11. scully57

scully57 Member

hey aussie remember one thing you get what ya pay for.
    buy cheap cb equipment ya get crap reception and crap transmit.
    the best antenna on the market is a wilson 5000. k-40's suck. you can get a cobra/uniden for around a hundred bucks and then have it peaked and cliped for another 25 to 50 bucks. and you got a decent start.
    my personal favorite is connex radio's there expensive but there damn good. Connex 4300 pushs bout 50 watts stock.
    you can find them on line for under $300.00.

12. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

my setup is simply a budget setup for a beginner. as you bump up the quality of one part, you should bump up the quality of others, with the best piece being the antenna.

the setup i have is fine for my car, but if i had a bigger vehicle or one that i didn't mind drilling on (actually, i do, but i'm a poor college student and left my truck at home), i'd stick two quality fiberglass/steel whip antennae on with strong mounts, hi-quality coaxial cable, a great radio that's been professionally tuned, an in-line amp, and a top-quality mic. no one else on this thread, except krees so far, has been a been a beginner diving into the CB world, so we're learning from the top. :)

i love those connex radios. seen a few in my cruising. after i graduate, it will be upgrade season. until then, the ol' radioshack serves me well.

13. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

is it done, krees? i'd like to see the final setup.

14. okokyea

okokyea Member

more then 2000 years ago it was predicted by the Mayan's that at
    2012 dec. 21'st thats 5 years from now, something will happen
    to the earth ? guess what ?
    scary!

15. ireland

ireland Active member

okokyea

End of World Theories: Will the World Really End on December 21, 2012?

I was recently asked how I interpreted the Mayan and Hopi Indians predictions that the world, as we know it, will end on the 21st of December, 2012. Would there be global war — possibly triggering a nuclear holocaust? Would the planet's life forms finally succumb to the ecological quagmire that's been building in our soils, oceans and atmosphere? Would the current steady increase of previously unknown diseases overcome our ability to defend against them? Or will we suddenly move into a new Golden Age in which the lion lies down with the lamb and struggle, pain, and suffering are gone forever?

more here
    http://www.circlesoflight.com/reality-creation/world-end.html

MAYAN CALENDARS run out in 2012.

This fact isn't nearly as frightening as it sounds! The Mayans kept extremely detailed astronomical records and they followed the cycles of the planets and stars as they travel around in their orbits. We are currently in the 4th cycle recorded by the Maya. It started in 3114B.C. and lasts for 5126 years until 2012. With the end of the 4th cycle comes... the beginning of the 5th cycle. The Maya believe that in the 5th cycle the ancient wisdom of the Maya will be rediscovered by the world and it will be a new dawn for mankind!

"In just 5 years we face another apocalyptic test: the Classic Maya millennium, on December 23, 2012 (based on our Western Gregorian calendar). That's when the Maya calendar will turn over to all zeros — 13.0.0.0.0 by the long count. (By the way, the Maya use of the zero by at least A.D. 200 is one of their key claims to fame, since the zero was not introduced to the West until the insights of Aryabhata, a fifth-century Indian mathematician, reached Europe.) The Maya millennium comes 5,126 years after the creation, which, by their reckoning, occurred precisely on August 11, 3114 B.C. But we probably shouldn't worry too much about this, since Pacal, the most famous ruler of Palenque, confidently predicted that his accession would be commemorated on October 15 in A.D. 4772 (Gregorian time).
    We, like the Maya and probably everyone else, are always trying to predict critical turning points in the future so we will have time to prepare for them. Unfortunately, we're not very good at it. "(W.L. RATHJE, a Senior Editor of Scientific American Discovering Archaeology)

more info here
    http://www.adishakti.org/mayan_end_times_prophecy_12-21-2012.htm

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  16. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Don't forget Nostradamus who predicted that Benedict would be the last pope.

17. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

With all the Catholic church problems with sex and payola, it will collapse from within and from $$$$$lawyers and NOT because the Earth will have ceased to be! LOL

18. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@garmoon...nah, they've been around for a couple of thousand years and have been through worse; just can't kill them vermin! They've lost the U.S. but there are still plenty of uneducated and superstitious countries/peoples they can lie to and exploit.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2007
  19. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

back on topic, a little bit, fellas. ^.^ it's fine to joke about and discuss the apocalypse, but let's have more than that on a thread about getting ready to fight off death.

how are you guys preparing yourselves, if at all, for impending doom? any new CBs out there?

hmm...how about camping/hiking? any of that going on. though not much, that still counts as a bit of preparedness.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  20. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

hmmm...I use to be an avid hiker and camper; I would like to get into that again as much as certain physical conditions allow. To think I would got hiking and spend a couple of weeks in the woods in Maine and Quebec in the middle of February LOL! IF there was one thing I enjoyed about the Marine Corps was that 50% of the time, it was like a camping trip!