1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

encoder

Discussion in 'Audio' started by saharardb, Mar 20, 2005.

1. saharardb

saharardb Guest

which is the best LOSSLESS encoder ever

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2005
  3. saharardb

saharardb Guest

no i want to know the best and first of all mp3 is lossy along with LAME

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

well then it would help if you were to explain what you are talking about !

What are you talking about ?

An encoder is a digital circuit that takes one data input and provides equivalent output in binary or other number base; it is the opposite of a decoder . There are as many encoders has there are applications you need them for.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2005
  5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Thats a hard question. The two open source ones, Flac and Monkeys Audio, are pretty good. Also AAC lossless and WMA lossless are available now too. Like Jeanc1 said though, if you let us know what your tying to do then mabye we might be able to tell which one is right for you.

Personaly, I like Flac because its the most popular. Its easy to get DS filters and stuff for it. I haven't tested AAC or WMA lossless yet, but I did see that WMA lossless may not be as good as Flac or Monkeys audio.

Ced

6. saharardb

saharardb Guest

you get two types of encoders for sound 'lossy' is when some quality is lost. 'lossless' is a compression that losses no quality what so ever.

lossless can also be uncompressed like wav but i want compressed.

7. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Then your answer is Apple Itune Lossless and Monkey Audio Lossless ! -- ! now that I know you are talking about sound encoders and not video, html, php,zen,dts and what have you.
    And for your information an encoder is lossless ; it's the front end or the back end that is added to it that makes the resultant with some loss or not. Loss is not only done by a compressing algorythm it does occur when shaper , limiter , ect.. are used .

There will ALWAYS be some loss when you compress data before encoding !!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2005
  8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

@Jeanc1,

But not when you compress data after encoding (similar to a Zip file). Which type are you talking about? Simply, if a codec is lossy it will get rid of audio data not deemed necessary. If it is Lossless it will retain everything it can (Raw). Now Lossless codecs that use compression don't use lossy compression techneques. A lossless file can always be worked back to the original raw data.

Also when would there be that type of differnce in front ends? If the difference was that extreme then you probably shouldn't be using it at all.

Stop being difficult, especially with newbies.
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2005
  9. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

~~ diabolos ~~ far from being difficult ! your post confirmed exactely what i had said. !

Be well ~~ !

10. diabolos

diabolos Guest

11. saharardb

saharardb Guest

thank you

one more thing can you please name me some lossy file extensions and some lossless file extensions.

is it the software engine that makes it lossless or certain file extension

12. diabolos

diabolos Guest

What do you mean? The software used to format the audio is what determines if its lossy or lossless. You can't just change the file name extension. An MP3 will nevery be lossless and a Flac file will never be lossy.

Lossy:

.OGG
    .WMA
    .MP3
    .ra/.ram
    .AC3
    ,MPC
    .MP4/.M4a

Lossless:

.Flac/.FLA
    .APE
    .Shn