1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encoding and decoding Xvid and Divx files.

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by xPJCx, Nov 7, 2003.

1. xPJCx

xPJCx Guest

Hello I am new to Xvid and Divx codecs. I have read some of the stuff on here but a lot of it goes right over my head.

I have some movies which I would like on VCD. I have Divx total pack which seems to be ok however, I can't get VirtualDub to see the Xvid files.

All I want to do is make some VCD's but I at a bit of a loss and some help would be great.

I have Divx total pack.
    VirtualDub.
    TMPGEnc.

HELP!

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2003
  2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

3. xPJCx

xPJCx Guest

Thanks for your help, good of you to answer. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers :)

4. xPJCx

xPJCx Guest

Hello mate well I did what you said and I can load the video and audio file into TMPGEnc but when I go to start, it locks up. I went into Environmental settings and then VFAPI plug-in and changed the DirectShow Multimedia File Reader up to 1 and then 2 but it still locked up.

I have checked about a bit and I can't find any help on it. Could you please help me out?

Oh, it works fine with Divx files but not with Xvid files.

Sorry to sound like a Ding Dong.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2003
  5. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

What kind of audio file does the xvid movie have?

Download Virtualdub.

Load the xvid that freezes up there and if a message pops up about having a vbr audio stream, click no and try this:

1. Click Video - Direct Stream Copy.
    2. Click Audio - Full Processing Mode.
    3. Click Audio - Compression. Select <No compression (PCM)> and click ok!
    4. Click File - Save AVI and try it with TMPGEnc.

6. xPJCx

xPJCx Guest

Hello again mate, I have VirtualDub and I have used it to get both sound (Wave) and Video. When I then use TMPGEnc I can load up the video file and the audio file but it won't encode them to an Mpeg/VCD it just locks up.

TMPGEnc works great with a Divx file they come out as Mpeg's and make good VCD. IT's just the Xvid avi's that won't work.

I know how to do it, but for Xvid it just locks up. I have a Xvid codec so I don't understand why it locks up.

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer my problem.

Cheers

7. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Ok,have you tried raising the priority of "Direct Show Multimedia File Reader"?

Option-->Enviromental Setting-->VFapi Plug-in.

Right-click on Direct Show Multimedia File Reader and select Higher Priority, until its the first option on the list.

8. xPJCx

xPJCx Guest

I've done what you said but it's still the same. Could it be a codec problem?

Thanks

9. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

TMPGEnc just freezes up completely? Ok what version do you have? Is it the newest version and have u it installed/extracted correctly??

As for codecs, maybe it is but you probably have got ythe right codec already, unless u install;ed full codec packs?? Have you tried using AviCodec or GSpot to check the source avi file to see what codecs you need for it?

10. xPJCx

xPJCx Guest

Hello mate, yeah TMPGEnc just freezes up. I have version 2.521.58.169.

I have no trouble playing the file but I want to convert it into a video cd. It works fine for Divx files just wont work for Xvid files.

I have tried to up the Direct Show Multimedia File Reader and lowered it too but still the same.

I'm still new to all this but any help would be great.

Thanks.

11. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Ok, what xvid codec did you install?

12. xPJCx

xPJCx Guest

I have just installed Xvid 0.9.1 and I got the patch for it off the Xvid site.

It seems to be working ok now so it looks like it was my codec.

Thank you for helping me out, cheers.