1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encoding Avi. File

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Steefoo, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Steefoo

Steefoo Member

I dled an Avi File but when i try to open it with DIvx 2.0 alpha player, it says, " Can't open "name of movie" .avi file." What should i do? I am able to play mpeg movies on my divx player but y not avi. files?

2. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

It's possible that this .avi movie was not coded with the DivX codec. If this is the case then the DivX Playa will probably not play the file. There are actually lots of codecs that can encode to the .avi format. If you are using Windows XP you can right-click the file and go to Properties - Summary (then click the advanced button below if it is showing) and you will see which video codec was used to make the file at the bottom where it says Video - Compression.

You should also download Windows Media Player 9 as it is very stable and has lots of great qualities. If you have the codec on your system for a certain file then WMP9 will play it (barring Real and QuickTime). If you don't have the codec installed then you can set up WMP9 to download any needed codecs to play files automatically. Go to WMP9 - Tools - Options - Player tab and select "download codecs automatically." Good luck.

3. Steefoo

Steefoo Member

I have Windows XP and I went to look at the properties of my avi. file and i cant find the info. about which video codec was used to make the file. The summary tab, it says,
    Width 640 pixels
    Height 480 pixels

AUDIO
    Duration 29:30
    Bit Rate 95 kbps
    Audi format Mpeg layer-3

VIDEO
    Frame rate 29 frames/second
    Data rate 153kbps

Also when i tried to open my avi. file with wmp9, it says, " sending request for codec" but then after like a minuted it says, "Error downloading codec" What should i do?

4. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

Steefoo, hmm sorry that didn't work for you. I work with DivX 5.0.x avi's under WinXP & on the properties of an avi on my system I always get 2 more lines after the info you said yours shows.
    Here's an example of an avi I'm working with now on my computer:
    Width 640
    Height 480

Audio
    Duration: 1:11:30
    (no bitrate or codec listed as I haven't muxed the audio to this video yet)

Video
    Frame rate: 23 Frames/sec
    Data rate: 85Kbps
    Video sample size: 24 bit
    Video compression: DivX Codec

I am guessing that your video was encoded with DivX version 3.11 and you will probably need to install it to watch the movie. But it could be a different codec such as the Angelpotion codec.

At this point I'd suggest you do one of 2 things:
    1) Look for and download a small utility called G-Spot. It can tell you more detailed info about your avi files (such as which codec you need to hunt for).
    -or-
    2) Install Nimo's Codec Pack. Take care not to install anything that you don't need (uncheck items during the install) because if you install everything included with Nimo's Codec Pack it can have adverse affects. I did that one time a long time ago thinking it would be a good thing to have lots of codecs installed so I can watch every video and listen to every sound file. What ended up happening is all my videos from that point on displayed upside down! I think I ended up having to reinstall my OS to remedy the problem.

So once again, your best bet is to run G-Spot to pinpoint the missing codec and then you can install only that codec.
    Good luck. Lemme know if this helps.
    PopWeasel

5. Steefoo

Steefoo Member

could u send me a link to the g-spot program?
    thxs
    Also when i install nimo codec program.. it asks that i should "copy 3ivx.cm.flask to your flaskmpeg directory" Should i dl flaskmpeg or can i just use wmp9? If so, where in my wmp9 directory?
    thxs

6. Steefoo

Steefoo Member

wait nvm...i just dled gspot and it says,
    CODE
    1.ISFT Software Nandubv1.orc2
    2.JUNK {ASCII in junk chunk} Nandub build 1852
    3.JUNK [ASCII in junk chunk] release

7. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

In GSpot, after you've loaded your filename to check, look in the following fields:
    -Video-
    FourCC ???
    Codec ???
    Vendor ???
    Status ???

This is where you want to look to see what video codec was used in the movie and you can also tell whether or not it's installed on your system.

8. Steefoo

Steefoo Member

It says,
    FourCC:Xvid
    Codec:Xvid
    Vendor:Xvid.org[open source]

wat should i do now?
    thxs for ur help

9. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

Ok so the movie was encoded using the Xvid video codec. So that's what you need to watch the movie. Go to http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/xvid.cfm and download the codec.

Note 1:
    If you are running ZoneAlarm- you won't be able to download the file until you disable the "Remove Private Header Information" setting in the ZoneAlarm privacy settings. If you are using a different firewall or privacy utility and can't download the file then look for the setting in your utility that sounds like the ZoneAlarm one I just described and disable it.

Note 2:
    Always virus scan downloads from the internet even if they come from a fairly trusted site like this one. Never can tell if someone's substituted a file that's hosted online for something we wouldn't want on our computers.

p.s.: After installing the new codec it's a good idea to restart before trying to watch the movie so the codec gets registered properly in the registry and the Control Panel.

That's it. You should now be able to watch your movie.

10. Steefoo

Steefoo Member

thxs for ur help..weasel..u were very helpful