1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

encoding avi to mpg2 w/ ac3 audio

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by LAZY321, Feb 4, 2004.

1. LAZY321

LAZY321 Member

i like to take some avi's and burn them one dvds and i have been doing so for a over a year, but when i get a vid with ac3 audio TMPGEnc will not encode it. all i want is to encode the avi with vid and aud(ac3) to mpg2. read that tmpgenc will do the ac3 but i found that to be false.

i am just going to restate that i want to encode the aud and vid AVI into mpg2 in when process and not extract the ac3 and then combine with the m2v.

any help would be greatly appreciated
    jason

2. Nuke

Nuke Member

TMPGEnc Plus supports ac3. Maybe you should think about upgrading, it does a great job on encoding avi's to dvd and svcd compliant mpg2, providing you start with a good quality avi.

3. LAZY321

LAZY321 Member

i have the newest ac3 filter and newest TMPGEnc are there any other suggestions out there

thanks nuke.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Tmpgenc Only will Decode AC3 if you have One Particular AC3 decoder installed, You can get it here:
    AC3ACM Decompressor
    http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/AC3ACM/AC3ACM.zip

But this is a Bad idea Because AC3 is the Best Format to use with DVD"s so if you use a simple Program Like AVI-Mux or Virtual-Dub with AC3-Fix to extract the ac3 file then you would only have to encode the Video and then Load the Encoded Mpeg2 Video file and the Extracted AC3 audio File into your DVD authoring Program and create the DVD...Anytime you get AC3 Dolby digital Audio you should Preserve it for the DVD....

5. LAZY321

LAZY321 Member

yeah thanks, i DL the ac3 decompressor, but i messed around witht the enviro settings and found out that if you make the directshow the last (lowest) setting then i can read and out put the avi to mpg2 with mp2 audio..

i know that ac3 is better and i am losin quality, but i have my ways and they are fast and effective, just the ac3 codec was a speed bump for a while.

the only bad thing is, is that i have to change the settings back on some avi because of that the directshow is highest inorder to work properly. thanks for the input guys, however i figured it out myself... but if it wasnt for the ac3 decompressor that Minion pionted out i thank i wouldnt have figureed it out so thank you