1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

encoding/ burning speeds

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jesst7, Dec 24, 2004.

1. jesst7

jesst7 Member

I'm trying to help out a friend who just got a dvd burner, nec 16x. I used dvd shrink then nero. It took 2 hours to encode using shrink and another 2 hours to burn using nero. I don't think I can change the PIO/DMA specs from device manager because it's external and it comes up as a usb 2.0 storage device. Since the computer only supports usb 1.1 could this be the reason why it's so slow or is it because of the cpu?
    AMD Athlon
    1,01 GHz
    640MB RAM

Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  2. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Your CPU isn't the fastest but should do decent, your RAM is ok. Those times aren't too bad actually, I have a AMD 2600+XP (2.1Ghz) and 1G of Ram and it still takes me about 50 minutes to encode something and another 45-50 to burn it. The USB version would definitely be a bottleneck though I think. 2.0 is faster than 1.1, not exactly sure how much.

What speed does your burner say that it is burning at?

3. bardie

bardie Regular member

I think your problem is that you are running a usb 2 device through a usb 1.1.
    The difference in data transfer between these are incredible, like 1.1 is something like 12 mbps and 2.0 is 480 mbps.........so you can see the massive diffence.
    Make sure also you disable all programs running in the background, such as Virus scanners, Firewalls and Screensavers, you have to give your CPU as much resourse as possible to help the process.

4. jesst7

jesst7 Member

The encoding speed in shrink is only 876 KB/s when it probably should be 3000 and the burning speed in nero is 4x. I'm going to get a usb 2.0 port and see if that makes a difference, thanks for the info.

5. thepcguru

thepcguru Guest

I use DVD shrink and Nero also. It use to take 2 hours with an AMD athlon xp 2000. I got 1gb ocz ddr 400 ram and upgraded to a mobile 2600 cpu and it shrank the time from average of about 1-2 hours to 30-45 minutes to encode. Some DVD's (double sided ones) will encode in 15 minutes. Upgrade the cpu to get faster encoding and analysis.