1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Encoding causing frozen computer) SO ANGRY!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by nykgmr, Feb 23, 2005.

1. nykgmr

nykgmr Member

I have a pretty powerful computer running on 60GB HD, Athlon 2600+, and 512 ram memory, Plextor PX-708A DVDRW drive, Radeon 9700pro, 300W PS etc... When I first got a burner, it was great and never had a problem backing up any of my precious DVD movies from my collection, then one day it started freezing during encoding for some reason. For several months now I've been trying to figure out why encoding with DVD Shrink and then copying with Nero demo or DVD decrypter is freezing my computer. I've looked into everything from possible overheating, to calling DVD drive tech support to check if it's a registry problem, to trying different settings (dvd-5,dvd-9,custom etc..), to reformatting and reinstalling XP (then installing and running only Nero, Shrink and Decrypter to see if it still freezes), to rearranging the stacking order of my dvd and cd drives, to playing with "master" and "slave settings", to trying out a different MOBO and videocard, to trying many different DVD movies to back up, to rearranging RAM memory on the mobo, to reinstalling different versions of Nero, DVD Shrink and Decrypter. Once in a blue moon it will actually copy a DVD fine but then goes back to freezing again. Now I'm starting to wonder if something is wrong with the drive itself. Would buying a new DVDrw drive fix my problems? The Plextor drive seems to be ok, it watches dvds and plays cds without any problems. The encoding will usually freeze the entire computer at the same spot, but sometimes it actually gets further or not very far into encoding at all before freezing. I'm completely baffled, what the heck am I doing wrong?! Thank you.

2. puremagic

puremagic Member

nero has had problems with xp,maybe try getting the full version of nero, and update it.
    have you updated the firmware for your drive?
    perhaps burn at lower speed?
    have you added new hardware recently?
    or different media?
    or maybe laser trouble on your drive??

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If you suspect the drive is bad the best thing to do is try it in another PC to see how it functions :)

4. nykgmr

nykgmr Member

Firmware was updated before and nothing new (both media and hardware) has been added for a long time, but i'll try all the other suggestions. Thanks guys.

5. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

if all elsel fails and trying the drive on another computer renders the same non-results.....try using Flash Fix to go back down to the previous firmware to see if that works. if it does then you could flash back up to the newest firmware. sometimes the updating process goes awry and it isn't always initially evident.

http://digi.rpc1.org/flashfix.htm

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Have you de-fragged, disc cleaned up, adawared, spybotted your system lately?

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Don't laugh but...

I have a hunch that it might be your PSU failing or under powered now or your CPU overheating. Try a 400Watt PSU from a store that might allow you to return it without a restocking fee.

Also try just for kicks opening your case and having a fan blow cooler air into your case while you try your encoding and burn. Open task manager and see what "Performance" is showing for memory and CPU usage. Also make sure that "Commit Charge" Peak never reaches Limit level.

8. nykgmr

nykgmr Member

Ok, I'll continue to try everyone's suggestions. Thanks again.

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

10. brobear

brobear Guest

On the 60GB HD, how much free space is left? Also, have you watched the Task Manager while the PC is doing the encoding to watch the load on the system? Also, have you tried disabling the processes and programs not needed during the encoding?

SiSoft Sandra is a good test utility and the company that sells it has a free version for individuals. I'm not sure if the free lite version will do the diagnostics you'll need. Use the individual modules or you could be wading through a lot of material. It's easier to go over the tests one section at a time instead of the entire system.

BTW, if you're wondering about the drive, both Nero and Sandra have drive tests.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2005
  11. nykgmr

nykgmr Member

The temperature is pretty steady, and there is about 52GB of the 60GB left. I have no other computer to try out my DVD drive in :[. Commit Charg are low, I've clean the lens etc...all that's left is for me to find out if it's the power supply or the DVD drive itself. The more things I try the easier it seems to freeze the entire computer. I don't know whats going on here. Thanks again.

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

sit back relax and think back?

did this occur after the frimware flash? or maybe a certain app you just loaded? maybe a conflict?

do you have anyDVD running? i read 3 posts on it causing probs!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  13. nykgmr

nykgmr Member

Well, I've read everyone's check list and tried everything. Tried everything but changing to a higher power supply. Nothing seems to work and it's not the DVD drive either, cause I bought a another one today(brand new Sony R/RW drive for $39, couldn't resist) and it does the same thing and freezes up the computer during encoding. :[

14. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Is your BIOS flashed up to date?

15. nykgmr

nykgmr Member

Bios Flashed? How do I know? How do I check? Also how do I check to see if it's a software comflict? Also are there other ways to check to see what and if whatever is overheating? Thanks again for all your help.

16. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

(Making my way back through the crowd again…)

How about trying that higher wattage PSU, say around 400, like I mentioned before? It might take you all of 15 minutes to make the change for testing, then you can either rule out the PSU or find that the problem is solved.

17. nykgmr

nykgmr Member

Well Scuba, I might as well get a new power supply and check it out now. Anyway, I'm a case fan and a extra power supply away from being able to put another computer together with spare parts that I've kept over the years.

18. nykgmr

nykgmr Member

ScubaBud,
    You were right,thanks alot!! I took your advice, went out and bought a 430W PSU at a computer store for $19.00 including tax, great deal!! But I finally switched it with my 300W and now, no more computer freezes when I try to back up something in the dvd drive. And thanks to everyone else on here who helped me narrow down the problem. I'm grateful!

nykgmr

19. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Could have been alot of reasons for the problem and tons of good advice was given here by all that were trying to help you!

Everyone take a bow!

The most important thing is that you are back on the [bold]Burning Trail Once Again![/bold]