1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encoding DVD Method

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Tottenham, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Tottenham

Tottenham Guest

I am fairly new to DVD copying but after readign the threads on here and other forums I believe I have got to grips with the basics.

I have successfully used IFOEdit to remove the unwanted streams and created a 1:1 copy of a few films with just the movie present.

I am also currently re-encoding DVD movies so that I can add more than 1 movie to a dvd.

Here is my method:

Rip the DVD with SmartRipper
    Frameserve (D2V & Wav) the Vobs with DVD2AVI
    RE-Encode the Vobs to MPEG2 with TMPGEnc
    Author to image Using Spruce Up
    Burn the image with Primo Prassi.

This method is working well, and I am currently re-encoding both the Austin Powers movies so that I can have them both on 1 DVD-R.

I have no real problems, but was wondering if you can advise if this is the best method or if you have alternatives.

I am re-encoding at a bitrate of around 2700 (so that the movies are around 2GB in size) and appreciate that the quality is not as good as a true DVD. However at the moment it seems to bee sufficient.

I have used both 2 Pass VBR and Constant bitrate and found no real difference in the two.

a 1 hr 30 min film takes around 11 hours on 2 pass VBR or 6 hours on Constant Bitrate (on my 1800+ XP 256DDR and 7200 rpm Seagate Barracuda drive)

I am burning to a Pioneer A04 using White Label DVDR's and these have played ok in every drive I have come across (Technika DVD Player, XBOX, PS2)

So if you have any other methods that may benefit me then please feel free to advise.

And thanks to everyone on here for making this who backup thing so easy!

Oh, and while I am here, is there a tutorial out there which can advise me on how to backup the entire DVD including menus and extras without having to re-make the menu myself?

Cheers

2. greatcapp

greatcapp Guest

seems like u are doing things the easy way, and if ur happy with ur results, why bother changing? if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

on a seperate note, i'm sorry to hear u will be tottenham 'til you die - i wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
    roll on 16th nov / 14th dec.....

3. NmyWithin

NmyWithin Member