1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

encoding problem

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by burner1, Apr 29, 2005.

1. burner1

burner1 Member

When encoding a movie the program is encoding at 3000kbs taking close to an hour just to encode. It used to encode at 7000kbs taking about 15 mins. When burning it's still the same it takes about 15 mins to burn. What can I do to fix this?

2. colw

colw Active member

Providing a little information would help.

What programs are you using to encode, burn etc?

Burning with Nero at 4X should take approx 14 to 15 minutes.

Encoding times can vary considerably depending the movie in question and whether it is DVD5 or DVD9 and the condition of the original.

If your encoding times have increased suddenly, it would be advisable to ensure that you are operating in DMA mode and not PIO.

3. burner1

burner1 Member

I'm using dvd shrink (newest ver.) to encode. The burning only takes 15 min. Encoding now takes 45-1hr. These are just the movies no extras. I did the check of DMA that was posted on this forum. I started having encoding problems once I started encoding one movie while another was burning.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Could you provide us with some system specs? Have you defraged your hdd lately? Run any anti spyware/adware software lately? Changed any settings in shrink?

5. burner1

burner1 Member

I tried defragging my hd, didnt help. Installed aol spyzapper and uninstalled after problem started with no luck. Haven't changed any settings. I'm using a new Dell with Nec burner, Tdk dvd+r 4x.

6. shiroh

shiroh Guest

maybe you use the wrong settings ?

7. burner1

burner1 Member

whats weird is I now have the same problem with dvdxcopy.

8. burner1

burner1 Member

I uninstalled my secondary drivers and still no luck. The dvd just spins really slow in both drives.

9. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

burner1,
    I would recommend that you do not multi-task while you are trancoding a movie. You stated that you "encoded" while another disk was burning.
    If you have the quality enhancements set on Shrink then the times would be longer and the "encoding " would be slower.
    You also might D/L "Enditall" ( you can Google for it). That program will stop what processes that are running in the background. Just make sure you leave the OS processes running